Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campervan + tent or rooftoptent on trailer

Kemper-van

Kemper-van

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
All,
We will be travelling to Scotland this summer with our campervan. We are a family of 5, and with our children now all around their early teens, we no longer all fit inside for sleeping.

We found a small trailer with rooftoptent as extra bedroom on wheels. The trailer is very light and also helps to carry some extra stuff we bring.

However, when booking campsites, we are now requested to book 2 separate pitches: 1 for the van + 1 for the trailer, as it is considered a separate unit. Even if we would swap the trailer for a simple tent, it would be 2 pitches. Camping is getting very expensive like this…

What are your experiences with camping with a campervan + extra tent?

What about a Kampa drive away awning and inner tent? You shouldn’t be charged too much extra for this.
We prefer the trailer, as this is very easy to couple to both a car or campervan in a few minutes, and we can leave it on a site while we use the campervan to go out and explore. It's also great for extra luggage when travelling with 5 people.
I've noticed several campsites where awning are also a payable extra (although cheaper than a 2nd pitch ). Even 1 site where it's also not allowed to sleep in an awning...

Go somewhere else. That campsite is taking the p1ss
It seems this rule has become the norm rather than an exception. Several campsites I've contacted are quoting the same rule. I keep looking for alternatives...

I see this rule on a lot of sites web pages, then you turn up and there's three tents on th e same pitch opposite you!

I've noticed ACSI site prices in France have increased a lot this year.