Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Callapsible portable gas BBQ

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All

Any tips on what's the best collapsible gas BBQ that doesn't take up to much space! We usually take our weber but takes up to much room.

We have modified our behaviour after a trip to the south of France where most sites ban fires and charcoal BBQs.

We have a very cheap fold flat charcoal BBQ which we use when allowed (search for Notebook BBQ), and after seeing SimplyDubs excellent effort at the Stanford Hall VW show we have purchased a small single burner gas hob for cooking smelly stuff outside.

T

We've got a Cadac Safari Chef....folds up compact,can be used in a multitude of ways, We're really pleased with ours!

RidetheBulli said:
We just bought the Campingaz Party Grill.. But no expirience yet except that it is small :D

Also got one of these and used it a few times last year. It worked well. It can either be used in 'grill' mode or as an additional hob burner. I believe they do 2 versions, one that uses the Easyclick cartridges (the version I have) and one that connects to the 904/907 bottles with a regulator.

+1 for the Cadac Safari Chef. Friends have the Carri Chef also from Cadac which is bigger and fantastic but they tow a big caravan and storage space is not so important.

Andy

owen_h said:
RidetheBulli said:
We just bought the Campingaz Party Grill.. But no expirience yet except that it is small :D

Also got one of these and used it a few times last year. It worked well. It can either be used in 'grill' mode or as an additional hob burner. I believe they do 2 versions, one that uses the Easyclick cartridges (the version I have) and one that connects to the 904/907 bottles with a regulator.

Yes ur right, one for easyclick and one for the R907 :thumb

+2 for the cadac safari chef find it superb , mine is the lp version running on 901 bottles but i would prefer the hp using desposables.
ian

Thanks for your views

Wow so much choice I was looking at the campingaz Fargo...

But now like the look of the weber and the cadac safari or even the carri :? I think I would like to run it off a 904 or 907 bottle instead of carrying smaller throw away bottles :?:

The smallest I found was the campingaz party grill, powered by the cartridges

This cooks fine, it was cheap, the gas is cheap, readily available, non stick so easy to clean, comes in a small pouch, easy to light, you can use it on top of your external table without fear of damaging anything or covering it with ash or setting fire to stuff

The cooking area is sufficient for 4 normal adults, or two greedy ones.

I would not worry about storing the cartridges. You might get a week to two weeks of daily BBQ out of one, and they are very clean, compact and easy to store. We find it helpful to have indoor and outdoor cooking options at the same time - and I can't be arsed lugging the main bottle outside.

This also gives you a backup burner (this thing is designed to be used as a regular gas burner too, you just take the grill off) so you can be more relaxed about the main bottle running out when camping.

It is not the full charcoal experience, but it is the right balance of taste v storage v cleaning in my opinion. I can't be arsed messing with the main gas bottle when I want to cook outside. I can't be arsed with ashes or storing charcoal either. And I really can't be arsed with items that are difficult to clean

I know this is an old post but would like to give a :thumb for the party grill.

We have had one since they first came out over 15yrs ago..gone through a few as the first thing that wears is the grill plate as it does become non non-stick after a lot of use…

It used to be cheaper to buy a new party grill than a spare grill plate, but not nowadays!

However, eagle eyes at boot fairs can turn up trumps!

Wouldn't be without ours. We even use it at home - DH prefers it to the cadac as it is easier to put together.

The smallest I found was the campingaz party grill, powered by the cartridges

This cooks fine, it was cheap, the gas is cheap, readily available, non stick so easy to clean, comes in a small pouch, easy to light, you can use it on top of your external table without fear of damaging anything or covering it with ash or setting fire to stuff

The cooking area is sufficient for 4 normal adults, or two greedy ones.

I would not worry about storing the cartridges. You might get a week to two weeks of daily BBQ out of one, and they are very clean, compact and easy to store. We find it helpful to have indoor and outdoor cooking options at the same time - and I can't be arsed lugging the main bottle outside.

This also gives you a backup burner (this thing is designed to be used as a regular gas burner too, you just take the grill off) so you can be more relaxed about the main bottle running out when camping.

It is not the full charcoal experience, but it is the right balance of taste v storage v cleaning in my opinion. I can't be arsed messing with the main gas bottle when I want to cook outside. I can't be arsed with ashes or storing charcoal either. And I really can't be arsed with items that are difficult to clean
Which size party grill did you buy?

Back