Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California query

J

Juliet Lewis

Guest User
Please can someone tell me the difference between a T5 and a T6 Cali?

The T6 replaced the T5 late 2015.
The T6 has now been replaced by the T6.1.
Or are you after specific changes to body, engine, interior?

Do you know if the T5 is more prone to galvanic corrosion than the T6?

There have been recalls for both, I believe, for the roof corrosion issue.

Actually T5.1 replaced T5 in about 2010, T6 replaced T5.1 late 2015.

T5 is 2.5 litre 5 cylinder either 130hp or 174hp available with a traditional auto box

T5.1 is minor external facelift & but major changes engine wise. Now a four cylinder 140hp or 180hp with either single or twin turbos with a DSG auto as an option.

T6 is the same as T 5.1 with a minor facelift externally & engines tweaked to 150hp & 204/199 hp

Camping wise there's very little difference between any of them inside apart from choice of fabrics, Spliting the glass hob cover in two, lighting upgrades & minor little tweaks.

All suffer the roughly the same corrosion problems on the elevating roof section.
T5 also suffers corrosion on the fixed cowl above the windscreen which I think is more of an issue.

All suffer the roughly the same corrosion problems on the elevating roof section.
T5 also suffers corrosion on the fixed cowl above the windscreen which I think is more of an issue.

I am by no means an expert and I'm sure it's all explained very well in the corrosion thread, but I have always been told that the corrosion of the elevating roof is a problem because it's part of the structure (strength/safety) of the van and that the corrosion on the part that is above the windscreen is unfortunate but most of all a cosmetic issue.

I am by no means an expert and I'm sure it's all explained very well in the corrosion thread, but I have always been told that the corrosion of the elevating roof is a problem because it's part of the structure (strength/safety) of the van and that the corrosion on the part that is above the windscreen is unfortunate but most of all a cosmetic issue.
Either way it’s 2 potential corrosion issues on a T5, 1 issue on a T6.

Not quit correct. Both the elevating roof section and the roof panel above the windscreen suffer from Galvanic Corrosion which is basically cosmetic rather than structural in both areas.
The front panel has been Apparantly rectified by changing the type of alloy used.
The elevating roof section will never be “cured” until they either get rid of the metal reinforced rubber seal or stop making the roof out of aluminium.
The new tape under the seal is a fix, not a cure.

Back