Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California On Tour App

Normally the phone will connect to the more powerfull WiFi signal if " Automatic Connection" is enabled.
Either switch off the California WiFi or disable Auto Connection.
Wonder why they used Wifi for this connectivity in the first place. Bluetooth would have been a better option, it's not that it requires a lot of bandwidth.

I’d update the app before trying again.
When you get connected for the 3 seconds then it loses the connection have a look at your wifi connections and if it is connected to another wifi can you “forget” that network to see if the connection is re connected to the van (keep doing that until your phone can remain on the van wifi).

I’d update the app before trying again.
When you get connected for the 3 seconds then it loses the connection have a look at your wifi connections and if it is connected to another wifi can you “forget” that network to see if the connection is re connected to the van (keep doing that until your phone can remain on the van wifi).
I tried that and that’s when it asked me to connect to their cubic network and when I declined it asked for permission to use the mobile network, from the message it clearly thought I was connected to the car. The app is updated the download happened during the connection process, anyway I’m giving up, it’s just not that worth the time I’m spending on it

IMG_3858.png

I tried that and that’s when it asked me to connect to their cubic network and when I declined it asked for permission to use the mobile network, from the message it clearly thought I was connected to the car. The app is updated the download happened during the connection process, anyway I’m giving up, it’s just not that worth the time I’m spending on it

View attachment 120342
Ok - sorry couldn’t help you further…maybe someone else that’s had a similar issue and resolved it can help.

View attachment 120342
i think this might be because you have the van set up to work as a 'hotspot'. i disabled this option somewhere on the media display. have to say, vw software ui is a dogs dinner.

also, it's normal for the calu on tour app to disconnect randomly and often. you just have to reconnect again. it's usable but quite dreadful software engineering :rolleyes:

i think this might be because you have the van set up to work as a 'hotspot'. i disabled this option somewhere on the media display. have to say, vw software ui is a dogs dinner.

also, it's normal for the calu on tour app to disconnect randomly and often. you just have to reconnect again. it's usable but quite dreadful software engineering :rolleyes:
I did get this, that’s what I couldn’t understand if it doesn’t rely on a signal and is just trying to connect to my phone, I’ve had enough for the time being though maybe in a months time I’ll try again lol

IMG_3854.png

You're not missing much IMO, the app doesn't work unless you're actually inside the van from my experience. You can control the heater from much further away with the remote key. Firing up the app and connecting each time takes more time than pressing the buttons on the control panel.

To me it's a gimmick

You're not missing much IMO, the app doesn't work unless you're actually inside the van from my experience. You can control the heater from much further away with the remote key. Firing up the app and connecting each time takes more time than pressing the buttons on the control panel.

To me it's a gimmick
It is handy for controlling the lighting when you’re in bed.

It is handy for controlling the lighting when you’re in bed.
it's is :thumb.. unless it stops working :headbang... mine has just randomly stopped advertising the "california xxxx" wifi network, so i can't connect anymore. laughably rubbish :D oh well hanging down from the bed to use the control panel has reawakening my 9 year old monkey self

To me it's a gimmick
Maybe useful when the control panel doesn't react as it is supposed to (enough messages about that around here) ?

UK based 2024 Ocean, it has the Wi-Fi button but took VW support to get my Phone and California on tour to sync. It seems on at least my Iphone 12 with iOS 17.4.1 the Infotainment Apple CarPlay wi-fi causes issues. The main use for me is to lower the roof from outside so I can check its OK and not catching anywhere. The work round is to switch the wi-fi auto connect off on my phone for the Infotainment system then start the van and then connect to the California on tour wi-fi. Is anybody else having issue?

Not used the app for anything else yet its useful that the manual and how to are there but need internet which sometime scan be a problem in rural campsites.

UK based 2024 Ocean, it has the Wi-Fi button but took VW support to get my Phone and California on tour to sync. It seems on at least my Iphone 12 with iOS 17.4.1 the Infotainment Apple CarPlay wi-fi causes issues. The main use for me is to lower the roof from outside so I can check its OK and not catching anywhere. The work round is to switch the wi-fi auto connect off on my phone for the Infotainment system then start the van and then connect to the California on tour wi-fi. Is anybody else having issue?

Not used the app for anything else yet its useful that the manual and how to are there but need internet which sometime scan be a problem in rural campsites.
I explored this course of investigation but didnt get any conclusions. I also had this problem with my house wifi when playing with the van on the driveway (had to switch off autoconnect to stop it connecting the house before it had a chance to connect to the van).

I think however, the code for the app and the remote wifi (not sure why it needs a button) is just pants!

Only use I have for it is to control the lights when sleeping upstairs.

Close the roof from inside - its fine. In fact you can then help the fabric fold nice and neatly and close the blind just before its fully down.

I can get it to work now occasionally, but it disconnects my 4g and I have to remember to restore my connection, I’m also having trouble with it interfering with the apple car play, basically got to the point that I turn the WiFi off on my phone so it can’t connect at all unless I specifically want it to, I have found the only sure way of connecting my phone smoothly is through the usb, not what you’d expect these days

Just to add, I noticed a worrying statement in the vehicle handbook which stated that if you use California on Tour App to open/close the roof then the control panel will not be able top control the roof.

I imagine this is just a translation issue and means that if you are actively using the app to move the roof then the control panel will not work, but still it worried me enough to just give up.

These vehicles are clearly internet connected to enable the Volkswagan App to work, why would the COT App not allow some functions to work while away from the van. Fridge, Lights etc. all fairly harmless. I understand why it might not be desirable for the roof control to be fully remote.

Finally, I find the COT App connection to be non existent outside the van, so what is the point of being able to keep an eye on your lowering roof, but not giving the wifi the range to actually make this a reality.

Just to add, I noticed a worrying statement in the vehicle handbook which stated that if you use California on Tour App to open/close the roof then the control panel will not be able top control the roof.

I imagine this is just a translation issue and means that if you are actively using the app to move the roof then the control panel will not work, but still it worried me enough to just give up.

These vehicles are clearly internet connected to enable the Volkswagan App to work, why would the COT App not allow some functions to work while away from the van. Fridge, Lights etc. all fairly harmless. I understand why it might not be desirable for the roof control to be fully remote.

Finally, I find the COT App connection to be non existent outside the van, so what is the point of being able to keep an eye on your lowering roof, but not giving the wifi the range to actually make this a reality.
Yes more useful to be able to switch the fridge and heater on/off from the app, and be able to be certain all lights are off for example.
A half-baked first-stab methinks.

Back