Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California On Tour App

Kayleigh

Kayleigh

Back in the ‘non-leaking’ T6 Beach
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve been meaning to add a thread for the “California On Tour” app as I have not seen it mentioned on here until today in the T7 Cali thread (or maybe I just haven’t found it using the search :) )

I’m really impressed with it, and think it is very well finished in terms of usability/functionality. It has loads of useful information, not just on campsites. It is powered by Camping.info, which is a subscription app, but this is entirely free! Looks like it has been available for a few years, but I only came across it recently.

You can add your Cali details (VIN No.) and it has some remote control functionality but requires that your California has the WIFI/Bluetooth button; mine certainly doesn’t and it may be something for MY24 models onwards.

It is on the Apple App Store so check it out if you haven’t done so already. Would be good to know what others think of it. Here are a few screen shots and the dashboard button you need for the remotes control functions.

IMG_3392.jpeg

IMG_3391.jpeg

IMG_3390.jpeg

You can add your Cali details (VIN No.) and it has some remote control functionality but requires that your California has the WIFI/Bluetooth button; mine certainly doesn’t and it may be something for MY24 models onwards.
Looks like its going to replace the We-Connect App for MY24 T6.1 Californias.

I am surprised that there's going to be a MY24 T6.1. I thought other than adding or deleting options depending on stock levels they would have left it as it is.

Also on Android Play Store.

Looks like its going to replace the We-Connect App for MY24 T6.1 Californias.

I am surprised that there's going to be a MY24 T6.1. I thought other than adding or deleting options depending on stock levels they would have left it as it is.
Reading the FAQ, the remote control is only available in Germany at the moment. Maybe German T6.1s have the wifi button I mentioned.

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

No remote activation of the parking heater. I guess VW don't want to give up that 350 euro key fob.

Works for my T6 but don't really see the point. Doesn't have features of WeConnect or WeConnect Go, not really worth it for a few campsites? May make more sense for later models.

Works for my T6 but don't really see the point. Doesn't have features of WeConnect or WeConnect Go, not really worth it for a few campsites? May make more sense for later models.
I take it all back, it has the location of public toilets! Now that's useful!

It’s not too good for campsites, 2 of the 3 it shows near me have been closed for years.

The manual is useful. Esp not having to enter your vin every time.

Interesting how they use this as a security feature yet it is viewable on every VW vehicle you walk past. :headbang
Yes, I’m finding the manual pretty useful and the search feature for the manuals. Much handier than online.
Apparently, there will be ‘How To’ videos coming soon for 6.1, Caddy and Grand Californias, so that might be interesting.
Campsite search does not show everything in the UK though. It’s powered by camping.info, which I believe is German and has site details throughout Europe. I think as another campsite tool it’s quite useful, but maybe it’s better suited to other European countries. If you want the camping.info app you have to pay for it, so you are getting it for free here :)

WeConnect is being superceded. There's a new VW app.

I’m a bit confused about the purpose of this app. You can search for things like shops, campsites etc and save favourites but it doesn’t sync to the onboard Nav as far as I can see. Just opens Apple Maps. The VW badge doesn’t even look real! Unless you’ve got remote control, the only benefit is the online operating manuals which are available directly from the VW website anyway. Perhaps it will be developed to eventually replace We Connect which is why VW aren’t yet advertising the app.

IMG_6742.jpeg

Wonder if the remote control feature would be retrofittable but I guess not as it's probably tied to your VIN.

App is not available in the Netherlands for some reason.

It initially pretended to provide lock and unlock functionality. That seems to have disappeared.

It initially pretended to provide lock and unlock functionality. That seems to have disappeared.
Supports the view that this will eventually replace We Connect which probably isn’t compatible with the remote control feature of future vans. It’s effectively a beta version (or alpha version that’s escaped!)

After contacting Volkswagen.de I am told that this app will be available in The Netherlands during the year of 2024.
See if one of these work… you never know :)

IMG_3393.jpeg

Very interesting thread. I picked up my Beach this week and it is registered as the 2024 model. I have a Bluetooth/WiFi button on the dash. So I will try out the apps.

The UK website gives the features of both the California On Tour App and We Connect. So I guess they are complementary to each other rather than a duplicate or replacement. I will download and try them out and report back.

Very interesting thread. I picked up my Beach this week and it is registered as the 2024 model. I have a Bluetooth/WiFi button on the dash. So I will try out the apps.

The UK website gives the features of both the California On Tour App and We Connect. So I guess they are complementary to each other rather than a duplicate or replacement. I will download and try them out and report back.

Oh you’re lucky :thumb . Let us know..

Back