Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California on a LWB chassis

I've just looked at Eurotunnel which is what we normally use and there doesn't seem to be any difference in price between a SWB T6 and a LWB T6 (5.1m) for a specimen crossing date of 10th April. The Eurotunnel break points are <5m then 5m - 5.4m followed by 5.5m - 8m.
We've never had a SWB T4,T5 or T6 and since our first T4 they have all been high roof vehicles. Apart from carpark barriers the high roof has never been a problem. The vast improvement to heat and sound insulation over an elevating roof plus the ability to always be able to stand up in the habitation area are priceless to us, outweighing any parking height restrictions that we have ever encountered.
On VW information it gives a SWB van as 4.9mtrs and LWB as 5.3mtrs in length.

It also gives 64kgs as the weight increase of a basic LWB van over a SWB, internal trim & toilet/cupboards weight would need adding to that figure for a Cali version.

They don't give any roof load carrying capability for the High Top version.

On VW information it gives a SWB van as 4.9mtrs and LWB as 5.3mtrs in length.

It also gives 64kgs as the weight increase of a basic LWB van over a SWB, internal trim & toilet/cupboards weight would need adding to that figure for a Cali version.

They don't give any roof load carrying capability for the High Top version.
It should be noted that a genuine VW high roof on a T4,T5 or T6 is not really the ideal vehicle to convert to a camper (although I have done one) as it will have high wing doors on the rear.
The ideal is an after market high roof which in the case of the high roofs that were fitted to some SWB Californias and to the prototype LWB one I believe came from Polyroof. My own T6 has a Reimo high roof.
As for roof side loading I would suggest that any rack was supported by the Reimo rain gutter (High Rail) and an internally reinforced upper mounting in the same way that I have fitted my current awning.

Westfalia do a trans lift for the side of van to fit surf boards or a kayak. As the top roof slopes in they don’t stick out to far, think it’s around £350 as an optional extra which seems reasonable.
The rack slides down too, if you go on YouTube there’s a few videos.
I've been trying to buy this through my Westfalia dealer and was told they no longer offer this as it never had much demand. Do you know of any place that might have this or something similar? I'm looking for a solution soon as I will take a surfing trip to Portugal in 2 months with my Club Joker. Thanks my man!

I've been trying to buy this through my Westfalia dealer and was told they no longer offer this as it never had much demand. Do you know of any place that might have this or something similar? I'm looking for a solution soon as I will take a surfing trip to Portugal in 2 months with my Club Joker. Thanks my man!
Maybe try a westfalia dealer in Germany or westfalia direct. Think there’s a westy Facebook group so try that (I don’t have Facebook).

Is it still available on a new order in there price book?

Maybe try a westfalia dealer in Germany or westfalia direct. Think there’s a westy Facebook group so try that (I don’t have Facebook).

Is it still available on a new order in there price book?
No, they removed it from the price list as well.

Back