Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California on a LWB chassis

Weight would be a factor and would be in direct competition with the larger van conversions as is the GC.
The 5mtr length cut off for some travel costs on Ferries would also come into the Marketing costing/viability.
For a UK only based camper it would be no issue but then how many would need to be bought to cover production costs?

Weight would be a factor and would be in direct competition with the larger van conversions as is the GC.
The 5mtr length cut off for some travel costs on Ferries would also come into the Marketing costing/viability.
For a UK only based camper it would be no issue but then how many would need to be bought to cover production costs?
I don’t suppose many who could afford one would base their decision on occasional higher ferry prices.
Whilst I couldn’t get a hard top in my garage, I’d take the slightly less practical/affordable LWB length for the additional internal space

I don’t suppose many who could afford one would base their decision on occasional higher ferry prices.
Whilst I couldn’t get a hard top in my garage, I’d take the slightly less practical/affordable LWB length for the additional internal space
Merely commenting on the fact that there are many factors that come into how viable it is to produce a LWB version.

In my case it was as going over 5mtrs would cost approx £400 extra when I was looking for a viable campervan to use with my 'normal' 6 or 7 ferry crossings per year. Height wasn't so critical.

Merely commenting on the fact that there are many factors that come into how viable it is to produce a LWB version.

In my case it was as going over 5mtrs would cost approx £400 extra when I was looking for a viable campervan to use with my 'normal' 6 or 7 ferry crossings per year. Height wasn't so critical.
So about £60 extra (return) for a LWB?

I wouldn't want a high top, but an extra long elevating roof instead

The extra 40cm length would be wonderful.

the Mercedes Marco Polo is 25cm longer - great compromise - but the table and chair storage is horrible

The extra 40cm length would be wonderful.

the Mercedes Marco Polo is 25cm longer - great compromise - but the table and chair storage is horrible
It would make all the difference when the bed is out.

I've just looked at Eurotunnel which is what we normally use and there doesn't seem to be any difference in price between a SWB T6 and a LWB T6 (5.1m) for a specimen crossing date of 10th April. The Eurotunnel break points are <5m then 5m - 5.4m followed by 5.5m - 8m.
We've never had a SWB T4,T5 or T6 and since our first T4 they have all been high roof vehicles. Apart from carpark barriers the high roof has never been a problem. The vast improvement to heat and sound insulation over an elevating roof plus the ability to always be able to stand up in the habitation area are priceless to us, outweighing any parking height restrictions that we have ever encountered.

I’m would be interested in a high top.
As a surfer, boards on pop top roofs can be a right PITA.
Lost count the amount of times the roof is up with a board attached. Which means lowering the roof to grab a board I want. I often take multiple boards. Having a ladder and fixed roof would help us out loads.
Obviously, they’ll be a hit on fuel consumption…

Lost count the amount of times the roof is up with a board attached. Which means lowering the roof to grab a board I want. I often take multiple boards. Having a ladder and fixed roof would help us out loads.
Surf boards on a purpose made side mounted rack on a high roof? Probably easiest version to remove & replace without the need for a ladder if you are not vertically challenged.

So about £60 extra (return) for a LWB?
Done an update check and now £15 each way--£30 a trip. SWB to LWB
Was over 5 years ago when costing up pre Cali order so not fully up to date.
Car to Cali costs £30 more each way and LWB adds another £15 as goes into Motorhome category.

Brittany ferries.

Recall someone on here warning to take tow hitch off if using IOW Ferry as they charge more if anything over 5mtrs. Don't know if bike rack would also cost even in folded position, no doubt those with them know if a length issue.

Surf boards on a purpose made side mounted rack on a high roof? Probably easiest version to remove & replace without the need for a ladder if you are not vertically challenged.
Have you posted pics of your van? Did you fit the high top? I would like to see more of your van. I dither between our traditional California a LWB conversion.
Thank you.

Westfalia do a trans lift for the side of van to fit surf boards or a kayak. As the top roof slopes in they don’t stick out to far, think it’s around £350 as an optional extra which seems reasonable.
The rack slides down too, if you go on YouTube there’s a few videos.

Every time I spot a T3 brick with surfboards on the side, I’m just slightly envious.
Such cool vans…

Have you posted pics of your van? Did you fit the high top? I would like to see more of your van. I dither between our traditional California a LWB conversion.
Thank you.
I've just added some pictures to my media content, awaiting approval. No I didn't fit the roof myself, it's a Reimo roof fitted by Concept Multi Car of Hythe but I did do all of the remainder of the conversion from a Kombi to what we now have. The conversion has evolved from the experience of building four other VW Transporters before this one.

Well I did add the pictures to an album on here for you to see but they have been removed so here are just a couple.
DSCN6239.JPG

DSCN6243.JPG

Admin - if you didn't like the content of the album(s) please remove the empty ones recorded under my name.

Last edited:
Wonder why VW don't offer a California with more space using the LWB chassis.
Maybe I am missing a point here, but there is already for many years a LWB Westfalia Club Joker. Here in The Netherlands it is (even) sold by the same dealer company nowadays.

krgds,

They want a LWB California:thumb
That’s what I own a club joker, great van.
jealous , I would trade in my Cali for a Club Joker any day, the only thing is they are so hard to get .
b.t.w; follow your postings and you have a great dog with you.

krgds

Back