Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California-ish

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Unfortunately, our current budget won't stretch to a California so I have picked my favourite aspects of the California and started to fit some secondhand bits and pieces to our T5. Whilst it will never be a California, it really is starting to take shape. As you will see, Our sliding door is on the near side so quite a few modifications were required to switch the cupboard and kitchen to the other side.

09E4C032-9331-460B-99CC-ED8AAA4CD182-3721-000002287C872E05.jpg

As you can see, the fridge is now at the other end but cannot see that it will make much difference to the living ergonomics.

5FBD50E9-06BD-4022-BB25-67A97F530C96-3721-000002287734CE7B.jpg

543F760F-A8AA-45BD-9078-6A4186B2925E-1631-0000013FA20F70A1.jpg

Also have the picnic chairs and the rear overhead storage to fit.

Hope you like our "CALIFORNIA-ISH".

Andrew.

It will be good to see the finished result Andrew, keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow that's an awesome idea, would love to see the finished result

Whats the plan for the bedding?

We have a rock and roll fold out bed in the back trimmed to match the from swivel seats and am also contemplating a genuine VW California SCA pop top roof either from a Beach or a SE as we had our first baby last summer. The roof is a few ££££'s though, so will have to give that some more thought.

Sounds great!

Is that a Lexus ISF in one pic or is the rain just making it look like it has big exhausts?!

Keep the thread going with progress etc etc ..it's always nice to see mod's on buses :)

Another evening of measuring and trimming this California furniture set to try and get it to fit on the off side but after a couple of hours, the rear cupboard section seems to be fitting well. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that now the cupboard is moved to the other end the hinged door will not open, however, I think just the sliding door will be ok.

8e105da74ca0e5684d7c29fcc3d819b2.jpg

I also spent a few hours cleaning up the flip out table and now it's fitted I cannot believe how we lived without one on our old kitchen pod. Loving the way it slides the full length of the cooker and sink section.

66448398e6101ca1313d9fe56d231fa6.jpg

Hello
Nice work, I really admire it.

I guess you may thing to cut and divide the hinged door, to have the upper part of it openable. Normally the sliding door do not open before opening the hinged door.

I wonder how you are going to organise control of the fridge. Are you going to use the central panel, or you have another sollution in mind.

Good luck
Andrzej

Looks good so far.

Be interested to see the finished result.

cheers and good luck

Andresz said:
Hello

I guess you may thing to cut and divide the hinged door, to have the upper part of it openable. Normally the sliding door do not open before opening the hinged door.

I wonder how you are going to organise control of the fridge. Are you going to use the central panel, or you have another sollution in mind.

Good luck
Andrzej

Thanks for your kind comments Andrzej, and to everyone else on here. As the fridge is usually controlled by the cab panel, I have modified the wiring and now have a controller inside the cupboard to set the temp. I was amazed at how quickly it gets cold and how quiet it runs. No more noisy cool box spinning away :D

I have left lots of wire on the fridge controller so I can relocate it if need be.

Thanks for your advice on the door, I had thought about cutting it and re edging the cut edge but that will be a job for later once it is all up and running, as I really want to head to the hills in it soon.

Ajspicer said:
Andresz said:
Hello

Good luck
Andrzej

Thanks for your kind comments Andrzej, and to everyone else on here. As the fridge is usually controlled by the cab panel, I have modified the wiring and now have a controller inside the cupboard to set the temp. I was amazed at how quickly it gets cold and how quiet it runs. No more noisy cool box spinning away :D

I have left lots of wire on the fridge controller so I can relocate it if need be.

Thanks for your advice on the door, I had thought about cutting it and re edging the cut edge but that will be a job for later once it is all up and running, as I really want to head to the hills in it soon.

Looking good :).

What is the spec of the base van and how much is the roof going to cost. I was speaking to a T5er the other day and he was saying that people are starting to look at adapting the roofs from Calis including the venting and trim.

James

Our Transporer is a 2007 2.5 130bhp with electric windows, aircon and satnav.

The California roofs are approximately £4000 including fitting and control panel, however, I think I would be more than happy if a California Beach donor came up without the electric pop up.

Discovered this evening tat I cannot use the water / gas container as it is moulded around the rear wheel arch. Such a shame as it is a very clever design :(

We couldn't wait to try out our new California installation so we have booked a few days off for a long weekend away. The fridge is awesome, so quiet, cannot hear it at all at night. Also loving the table, brings a whole new feel to the inside. Could be time for an ice cold cerveza!

D6A82CB0-9DA0-4362-B93A-72F7BD8A7375-430-00000025F1A660CF.jpg

Looking good mate enjoy your weekend away and report back here :thumb

After our first long weekend away with the new California interior installed and our cheap pop up tent to house all the bits and pieces a 10 month old baby brings with her, we are looking forward to our next trip away in a few weeks time.

Having all our food and cooking bits and pieces neatly stored in the cupboards made a real difference especially as cooking outside was out of the question with e evening showers. The new swivel seats along with the flip up table were amazing, it's amazing what meals can be prepared on less than a square metre of work surface and two burners.

I think the proof of the success was a very good baby Ismay, put her to bed at 7pm and slept through until 8pm on all three nights. If only she didn't bring so much with her!

Whilst it was a 99% success, it did become apparent that I have installed all the furniture without the drivers seat being fully reclined and to the furthest position back, as I am 6ft 2 this meant a very uncomfortable back on the journey there rand back. Thank goodness I have not fixed through the floor yet!

I now need to set myself a list of California bits to add and stick to as I do not want this turning into a money pit conversion, otherwise I may as well buy a real California.

My list is as follows:

Front swivel seats. Done
Kitchen and cupboard set. Done
Rear tailgate trim chairs and blind. Awaiting fitting
Front A pillar integrated blinds. Awaiting fitting
California cycle carrier. Searching on ebay or will buy from TPS

Yet to be decided:

Elevating roof. don't really need it until little one is a few years old but would like it for the standing comfort if funding permits.

Rear overhead storage. Have it ready to fit but as I always sit up in bed reading it would get in the way. I feel it also obscures the view from the rear window when both driving and camping for very little gain. What do you all store in yours?

Due to a combination of cost and the sliding door being on the other side the above bits and pieces are about my limit.

If you think I have missed any great features of the California I would love to hear from you?

Better go and move the furniture by a few inches I guess :oops:

Hi, your conversion looks fantastic, I'm doing something similar but having the rear cuboard re mad in matching board to the kitchen unit.
How did you rewire the fridge and incorporate a controller? That is one thing I'm struggling with. It has 12v, obviously I have no controller but I can get the relay to click in and out but I've the compressed still doesn't seem to come to life.
Any pointers you could give would be most appreciated
Cheers

I will see if I can find the wiring diagram and will send you a private message or post here tomorrow.

Hi
I am in the process of converting a T5 LWB with the same Cali kitchen. The van is having a Cali elevating roof and tailgate fitted at the moment then I can get down to finishing the kitchen fit. The one thing that I am unsure about is the fridge wiring so any help you can give me would be appreciated, particularly regarding which wires to use from the ones in the loom to the compressor.
Thanks
Colin

Rear overhead storage. Have it ready to fit but as I always sit up in bed reading it would get in the way. I feel it also obscures the view from the rear window when both driving and camping for very little gain. What do you all store in yours?

I have no problem sitting on the bed reading with the Overhead locker, But, I think the California Seat/Bed might be lower than your bed when set up. Rear view is compromised more by the seat headrests than the locker.
On the California, the locker has 2 Speakers in it. We use it to store camping towels, Microfibre, T Rolls and odds and sods + PJ's or equivalent.

If you are thinking of a California Aluminium roof be aware of the Aluminium Bi-Metallic corrosion problems with pre - mid 2014 roofs. A very,very long Thread Topic on the Forum.

Hi, your conversion looks fantastic, I'm doing something similar but having the rear cuboard re mad in matching board to the kitchen unit.
How did you rewire the fridge and incorporate a controller? That is one thing I'm struggling with. It has 12v, obviously I have no controller but I can get the relay to click in and out but I've the compressed still doesn't seem to come to life.
Any pointers you could give would be most appreciated
Cheers
Hi
I am doing the same with a LWB T5 and can't get my head around wiring the fridge.....how did you go about it? There are so many wires in the loom to the compressor....I am guessing that I only need the positive and earth?

What an interesting project, especially given that you are converting your van to a more user friendly RHD format. Whilst having the side door on the drivers side doesn't bother me or I suspect most Cali owners it would certainly be one of the improvements that could be made if VW were ever to design a Cali specificly for the UK market. However that is never going to happen.
How is the conversion going. More photos please.

What an interesting project, especially given that you are converting your van to a more user friendly RHD format. Whilst having the side door on the drivers side doesn't bother me or I suspect most Cali owners it would certainly be one of the improvements that could be made if VW were ever to design a Cali specificly for the UK market. However that is never going to happen.
How is the conversion going. More photos please.
But if you intend doing a lot of travelling in Europe, then the present setup is very useful.

Hi
I am in the process of converting a T5 LWB with the same Cali kitchen. The van is having a Cali elevating roof and tailgate fitted at the moment then I can get down to finishing the kitchen fit. The one thing that I am unsure about is the fridge wiring so any help you can give me would be appreciated, particularly regarding which wires to use from the ones in the loom to the compressor.
Thanks
Colin
Cali roof on a LWB van??

$_57.JPG $_57i.JPG

Long wheel base example, the extra room would be good sometimes, but the shorter vehicle has advantages.

Back