Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali-killers....

I have recently been reading about British supplied MLRS in Ukraine.
It is a mobile home as much as a war machine, with the servicemen eating, sleeping and fighting from inside a cabin built at the front.
So a real potential Cali killer.

f79f75f0950eef269ae989e8294b956f.jpg

If they put this on a Cali, I think it will become a Cali Killer. This makes for so much more usable space. Combine taht will a LWB and we may have a Cali Killer.

View attachment 100196

Not sure who came up with the idea of a popup slanting roof!
What is that?

With an AC unit like that it can only be from one place

Brings a new meaning to wild camping...........

In my experience the biggest Cali-killer (if you have a wife) is a toilet and shower in a 12 year old 2 berth caravan. I still get the Cali for winter escapes...

Who says?
The OP‘s original post actually offered an example that was well over 2m.
The 2m height is certainly a factor but just one of many.
The Original Poster who was already trying to figure out what to do after his affair with a California; what would be next. The OP who, when I first met him, already knew he wasn't going to stay with a California. He only knew a t5.1 cali. Therefore, his title has been chosen rather unhappily and he’s not to blame for it but I suspect he will not change it ;) But if you look at it a little wider, you will come across larger and higher camper(van)s from before and also bore the name california (although they were from westfalia). So much shown here could be a cali-killer. This is my idea about it and will not enter into a discussion about it: each to their own. I do like the many ideas and photos that pass in this post :thumb For me the only cali-killer is the next one, a former one or an older one; or, partly because I'm a westfalia fan: a club joker city or a kepler (six preferably).

Last edited:
Again, not a Cali-Killer but having been to the NEC show yesterday :

Among the campervans, I liked the Swift Monza.

It had a very intelligent arrangement for the lower seat/bed.
First, it has belts for 3 occupants in the back.
Second, the mattress and base do not take much space in the boot as the can be folded against the back of the seat. Which slides forward as much as needed.
So it is better than a Cali for storage organisation IMHO.

It can't compete with a Cali on finish and many other details are not there yet - the kitchenette does not have sliding doors but pull-outs, so they are unusable if the seat is moved forward.
no 4WD ... and looks like the height is 2.12 m

still, if the Cali did not exist I'd consider it.

Again, not a Cali-Killer but having been to the NEC show yesterday :

Among the campervans, I liked the Swift Monza.

It had a very intelligent arrangement for the lower seat/bed.
First, it has belts for 3 occupants in the back.
Second, the mattress and base do not take much space in the boot as the can be folded against the back of the seat. Which slides forward as much as needed.
So it is better than a Cali for storage organisation IMHO.

It can't compete with a Cali on finish and many other details are not there yet - the kitchenette does not have sliding doors but pull-outs, so they are unusable if the seat is moved forward.
no 4WD ... and looks like the height is 2.12 m

still, if the Cali did not exist I'd consider it.
Its got some nice bits, external gas point & really do like the opening slider behind the kitchen, on our GC it makes it feel much more like you are cooking outside.

On the downside:

Its strange that they've got a van thats externally only 10mm narrower than a Grand California but ended up with beds that are 100mm narrower than an Ocean.

Its too tall.

Towing capacity is pathetic.

I went to the NEC show yesterday and I’ve never seen so many Transporter conversions.
Some had interesting layouts like the Hillside with a loo right at the back

What did both surprise and please me, was apart from things like the £600k Morelo gin palace very few could match the California for build quality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I could have one of these converted to a camper with the possibility to fit
at least one Mini in the back.
I'd sell my Cali.
tempImageqGcE9x.png

I went to the NEC show yesterday and I’ve never seen so many Transporter conversions.
Some had interesting layouts like the Hillside with a loo right at the back

What did both surprise and please me, was apart from things like the £600k Morelo gin palace very few could match the California for build quality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My experience from every year at least two camper/holidays exhibitions in The Netherlands (Utrecht and Caravana) is the same. All kind of look alike's do not match the Cali quality, noise isolation (double glazed Ocean / SE) and no driving noise from bad build furniture inside.
Even Ventje and Tonke are far from it