Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali dogs anyone with a cali cat?

Is she a Bengal? Our moggy had a sniff about the van the other week. But he didn’t seem taken with the notion of camping.

Wise animal.

Nice pussy! Not every cat has the temperament to become a traveller, but start by getting a body harness lead and take it for frequent walks, try to introduce it to everyday situations without causing stress. If this is successful, introduce it to travel by either giving it a dedicated seat and tethering the lead or using a cat travel box. Again, there is no guarantee that the cat will accept this. Next step would be to introduce your cat to outdoors where you are camped, firstly by taking it for walks and secondly by tethering it by your van. In some cases, if in a remote area the cat can be trusted to roam, (but at some risk).
We did this with a cat acquired when we were first married where my wife wanted a cat and I wanted a dog, of course my wife won, but the compromise was that we would train it like a dog and it worked; he accompanied us on all our UK holidays for 15 years. On his passing, we acquired a second cat and tried the same tactics without success, that one spent more time with friends while we were on holiday than it did with us!
There is someone on this forum who travels with a cat who might be able to advise you.

Cats are happier at home looking after their territory.

You will mess up their inbuilt satnav by taking them to strange places. They won't appreciate being on a lead, as stops them from roaming free - your nice holiday will be your cats worst nightmare!

Cats are happier at home looking after their territory.
Possibly, but the cat we had couldn't wait to get out and familiarise himself with his new surroundings when we were on holiday. After a few holidays, we were prepared to let him roam (CLs or similar) and the only problem we had was that he seemed to sense when we were getting ready to leave and would hide, so had to be tethered some time before we moved on.

Depends on the cat. Some seem to adapt pretty well and many van lifers on YT take their pets with them eg Campervibe. They do need some accommodation though as they are not as adaptable as dogs and will scare easy. The trick is to acclimatise them slowly and progress at their pace and not your's or the dogs.

She's pretty chilled cat will just sit on seat beside us, happy being on harness, only 5 months old and would only take her on overnights or short weekends where we're going to be with the van 99% of time.
Our first vets trip she escaped out of box and sat on seat and not afraid of anything so promising !
going to try anyway whist she is young!
View attachment IMG_6667.JPG

Bengals I imagine are especially adaptable to van life as they are naturally adventurous and inquisitive.

Back