Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Concept website is up

I don't see 4Motion mentioned anywhere. Does anyone know if the hybrid gas/electric version implies all wheel drive?
I doubt it. Payload is an issue with the MV. The battery is going to eat a significant proportion of that.

Everyone here for years : "the Cali beats everything else because is so car like to drive"

VW : "here's a new Cali that is much more car like than the old one"

(almost) Everyone here : "I won't change, I like the high, upright driving position of my T van"

I do like it, being the techy nerd that I am.

But my mind constantly goes back to 'an ipad as the main control panel in a camping vehicle?!'.

That'll be damaged, lost and abused like nothing else. And lets be honest - VW aren't the best when it comes to technology resilience....

That said, the dual sliding doors, double awning and smart kitchette does look nice. But as per concept - it screams 'form over function' with the show model having only two mugs and two plates and so on. We pamper our Cali, but it's still a camping/leisure vehicle. I fear the tech and lack of storage in the Concept Cali will result in a vehicle that's nannied.

And then there's the elephant in the room....Cali residuals are high in part because it's supported by the conversion transporter market (and a better standard build than many conversions and a known quantity, create bouyancy). With it moving away from the Transporter and the conversion community sticking with the Ford-VW Transporter.....will the residuals be as strong on a Multivan Cali? I have my doubts....

Still want one though. Kinda. Maybe.

I do like it, being the techy nerd that I am.

But my mind constantly goes back to 'an ipad as the main control panel in a camping vehicle?!'.

That'll be damaged, lost and abused like nothing else. And lets be honest - VW aren't the best when it comes to technology resilience....

That said, the dual sliding doors, double awning and smart kitchette does look nice. But as per concept - it screams 'form over function' with the show model having only two mugs and two plates and so on. We pamper our Cali, but it's still a camping/leisure vehicle. I fear the tech and lack of storage in the Concept Cali will result in a vehicle that's nannied.

And then there's the elephant in the room....Cali residuals are high in part because it's supported by the conversion transporter market (and a better standard build than many conversions and a known quantity, create bouyancy). With it moving away from the Transporter and the conversion community sticking with the Ford-VW Transporter.....will the residuals be as strong on a Multivan Cali? I have my doubts....

Still want one though. Kinda. Maybe.
Unlike ALL the 3rd party conversion companies the California Concept will maintain the One Stop Shop for warranty and spares, unlike conversions, for the whole vehicle..
Ford Nuggets, Marco Polo have a number of horror stories regarding the Westfalia components.

Unlike ALL the 3rd party conversion companies the California Concept will maintain the One Stop Shop for warranty and spares, unlike conversions, for the whole vehicle..
Ford Nuggets, Marco Polo have a number of horror stories regarding the Westfalia components.
For sure - they have to by law iirc.

But without the transporter conversion market to keep it's price high, I wonder it's niche 'multivan' platform and the rather loyal transporter community will affect it's depreciation rate.

Buy it and enjoy it, make memories, vehicles are very rarely a good financial investment.

The question is what price for the California Concept, expect it to be over £100k, once options added.

Is it actually going to be called the California Concept?

I think it’s cool, great addition to the Cali family, but they need a proper replacement for the T line calis too!
Agree, seems a lot smaller area to move around in downstairs. A LWB unit would fit in nicely between this and the Grand to complete the range.

That was my initial take and it's true as far as the table goes, however, the (optional) Multivan console between the front seats can be pulled to the back on rails; it has a flip up tray on both sides that make a small table. I could live with that.
I don't see 4Motion mentioned anywhere. Does anyone know if the hybrid gas/electric version implies all wheel drive?

I have seen that table on rails - my issue would be the amount of space it takes up, whether it would need to be removed to lower the back seats for the bed, etc...

It's a potential solution for a problem that shouldn't exist (IMO); the current design of the table down the side is such a selling point to me of the Cali; no other (that I have seen) van/converter does the table down the side of the seats, some have it in the boot, some have it stowed behind the driver etc.. but none down the side.

Others might know more, but when YT was hit with loads of Cal Concept videos, I don't remember anyone mentioning 4 motion, just diesel, petrol and the PHEV.

I have seen that table on rails - my issue would be the amount of space it takes up, whether it would need to be removed to lower the back seats for the bed, etc...

It's a potential solution for a problem that shouldn't exist (IMO); the current design of the table down the side is such a selling point to me of the Cali; no other (that I have seen) van/converter does the table down the side of the seats, some have it in the boot, some have it stowed behind the driver etc.. but none down the side.

Others might know more, but when YT was hit with loads of Cal Concept videos, I don't remember anyone mentioning 4 motion, just diesel, petrol and the PHEV.
While there is a 4Motion Multivan available I don't think the homologation and payload requirements will allow its use on the Cali Concept. I expect that option will be covered by the Ford T7.

In its parked position it functions as a console between the 2 front seats, so well out of the way of the lowered bed.

In its parked position it functions as a console between the 2 front seats, so well out of the way of the lowered bed.
That’s fine then, but it would stop you getting into the back from the front seats without having to get out, and would need to be slide back to move the front seats round (as with everything it’s a balance of faff).

But if it fits then it’s certainly a viable option to add and would work as a table for the two back seats.

Someone is selling one on eBay for almost £700…. I’d just get out and get the table for that price :D

My dog doesn’t like it. He sits between the front seats when we drive. Stroking a centre console and feeding it dog biscuits would be weird.
Am I missing something? I can't see a centre console on the concept pictures - looks the same gap as the old Cali?

There is already so little space in the Concept that the console makes little sense for 2 people plus maybe a dog or 2. I like to be able to walk from the rear to front between the seats and with the console there it might be a step too far. I have enough issues stepping over my Delta 2 without doing a mischief. And can the front seats be rotated with the console in place? I know I have to shift the Delta 2.

There is already so little space in the Concept that the console makes little sense for 2 people plus maybe a dog or 2. I like to be able to walk from the rear to front between the seats and with the console there it might be a step too far. I have enough issues stepping over my Delta 2 without doing a mischief. And can the front seats be rotated with the console in place? I know I have to shift the Delta 2.
If Ecoflow can design one the doubles up as a toilet it'll sell by the bucketload.....

Because everything else will be so much better. :cool:
Don't worry the MV has plenty of its own teething issues. Like the sliding door falling off its mount when mechanism switched to manual mode after servo failure.
Translation
"Annoying, electric door wouldn't close, at night on the highway abroad. Doors deactivated as in the operating instructions and tried to close them manually, the lever was too big and suddenly the whole door fell out..."

Don't worry the MV has plenty of its own teething issues. Like the sliding door falling off its mount when mechanism switched to manual mode after servo failure.
Translation
"Annoying, electric door wouldn't close, at night on the highway abroad. Doors deactivated as in the operating instructions and tried to close them manually, the lever was too big and suddenly the whole door fell out..."
Bet you had to search for that one!