Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Booking DFDS with 4 bikes on rack. Usual High Car / motorhome dilemma.

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone travelled with DFDS recently and a loaded bike rack? About to book from Newhaven and will have 4 bikes and choosing between high car and small-motorhome? We travelled a few months back but only with two smaller bikes and that was fine on a high car but with my (58cm) bike I'm sure it would be slightly over the high car limit. Maybe I just need to get the tape measure out but any advice gratefully received.

I *could* try and get my bike inside I guess but it might just be easier to pay the extra :)

Van is a VW beach if that makes a difference. Will only have the bench seat in the back so a 5 seater.

What is the price difference?

I have no specific experience with DFDS, but I do with many other ferry crossings throughout Europe and I never choose 'camper(van)', I always just choose car. Never had a problem. The people directing you where to park on the ferry usually aren't the ones looking at your ticket.

What is the price difference?
I think it's £100+ (wife is booking and I'm happy to not take over!).

Looking at Eurotunnel as well, I generally prefer it as I get seasick when the ferry is rough but not used it for a few years now, bigger drive at both ends but less time on a boat (which suits me as I got seasick when it was choppy earlier this year).

Have used DFDS many times from Newhaven. Just get the tape measure out and work out dimensions of the loaded van…then just play about with the fares for high car, van, camper etc and select the cheapest crossing rate.

Have used DFDS many times from Newhaven. Just get the tape measure out and work out dimensions of the loaded van…then just play about with the fares for high car, van, camper etc and select the cheapest crossing rate.
Will do that tonight, assuming Beth hasn't booked Eurotunnel in my absense.

I quite like the Newhaven crossing, as long as it's calm :)

Has anyone travelled with DFDS recently and a loaded bike rack? About to book from Newhaven and will have 4 bikes and choosing between high car and small-motorhome? We travelled a few months back but only with two smaller bikes and that was fine on a high car but with my (58cm) bike I'm sure it would be slightly over the high car limit. Maybe I just need to get the tape measure out but any advice gratefully received.

I *could* try and get my bike inside I guess but it might just be easier to pay the extra :)

Van is a VW beach if that makes a difference. Will only have the bench seat in the back so a 5 seater.
Just came back with DFDS and the deck height has about six inches clearance for my ocean ( large car option selected), so should be fine. The spaces with more height clearance should not be required for your needs which is what actually matters. The guys directing traffic at the port are doing so based on vehicle height and length to balance the loading as every deck only has a limited number of each type.

Not from Newhaven, but last September we used DFDS in the Cali Dover - Dunkerque with 2 bikes on tailgate rack & used the High Car specification for booking as we had in the past. You'll be in with the trucks, and likely among the first off on the other side. We have also used the Low Clearance booking spec in our Passat with Bikes on the roof on other occasions, in with the trucks then, too. They just need to know where to put you height wise, IIRC the cost is the same. Overnight last time we travelled Newhaven to Dieppe, we had an outside cabin, noisy & stuffy.... Didn't sleep a wink. If we went that way again would only travel in daytime.

Last edited:
We did this crossing last summer, booked via Caravan Club to get a discount, classed as a private van under 2.5m height. We were loaded with other higher vans and bikes on roofs. Going again this year - Camping & Caravan Club giving best price.

Back