Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Birmingham and Bath Admission

dartmoordingoe

dartmoordingoe

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Just checked and nee VW Coast not to be charged in Birmingham or Bath. Good to know how clean the new engines are

Last time I checked my 2014 SE Euro5 was chargeable for Bath.

Just checked again and guess what Not Chargeable.

45074610-E86D-4C21-AA41-B7168C3D5625.jpeg

T6 is OK with Euro6. T5 should also be OK but need someone to verify.

Wasn't sure if a 2.5 was OK as some are in the high VED category due to emission level.
2014 is the 2.0L and in my case 180 biturbo. Euro 5

The 2.5 was upto 2010 or so and is Euro 4.

2014 is the 2.0L and in my case 180 biturbo. Euro 5

The 2.5 was upto 2010 or so and is Euro 4.
Meant that a blanket assumption that a T5 would be OK might expensive and a check should be made by the Reg No.

When we had a Euro 4 2009 EOS it came up as exempt in the LEZ. New owner seems to have put a Private Plate on so can't look now.

My 2008 2.5 BNZ shows up as being chargeable on both.

Listed as a 'van' though, which is at odds with the v5 category of M1. Not sure if that helps or hinders me though..

My 2008 2.5 BNZ shows up as being chargeable on both.

Listed as a 'van' though, which is at odds with the v5 category of M1. Not sure if that helps or hinders me though..
You can claim an exception if you have M1 and Body Type Motor Caravan on your V5c. Lasts for 4 yrs.

Is it registered as an M1?
Do you know what the London ulez says for it - as it should be chargeable there if Euro 5 diesel.
Apparently the London ULEZ uses different criteria .

You can claim an exception if you have M1 and Body Type Motor Caravan on your V5c. Lasts for 4 yrs.

View attachment 79469
Hi Welsh Gas did you claim an exemption or did it just change?
My 2015 140 Euro 5 still comes up as chargeable which seems odd.

Hi Welsh Gas did you claim an exemption or did it just change?
My 2015 140 Euro 5 still comes up as chargeable which seems odd.
Just changed, as above.

T6 is OK with Euro6. T5 should also be OK but need someone to verify.
Just checked my old 2014 T5.1 and that was chargeable. All the schemes need you to be euro6 compliant California’s didn’t meet that until the adblu came in.
So if it has adblu it should be ok, if it doesn’t and it’s Diesel it should be charged.

Last edited:
Just checked my old 2014 T5.1 and that was chargeable. All the schemes need you to be euro6 compliant California’s didn’t meet that until the adblu came in.
So if it has adblu it should be ok, if it doesn’t and it’s Diesel it should be charged.
Not quit correct.
There are 4 levels of schemes and only one includes private M1 vehicles.

Bath and Birmingham has different classes.

I suspect the bath Scheme received a lot of complaints as camper vans with M1 on the V5 were brought within scope of the scheme very late and certainly after the public consultation.
It's interesting that Welsh Gas automatically changed, mine hasn't but I have now applied for the exemption which involves uploading a photo of the V5 + some photos of the inside & outside of the van.

Not quit correct.
There are 4 levels of schemes and only one includes private M1 vehicles.

Bath and Birmingham has different classes.

I will reword what I said and then add a bit :

I’ve just rechecked the .gov site and the vehicle checker shows my old Cali as vehicle type “Van” all vans in all schemes have to be euro 6 compliant. Only Vw vans with adblu are euro 6.

Of the three schemes Bath Birmingham and London , only Bath is level C, level C means cars are exempt.

If your motor caravan is registered as M1 you can claim a four year dispensation for exemption from the charges by filling in forms etc for Bath.

I will reword what I said and then add a bit :

I’ve just rechecked the .gov site and the vehicle checker shows my old Cali as vehicle type “Van” all vans in all schemes have to be euro 6 compliant. Only Vw vans with adblu are euro 6.

Of the three schemes Bath Birmingham and London , only Bath is level C, level C means cars are exempt.

If your motor caravan is registered as M1 you can claim a four year dispensation for exemption from the charges by filling in forms etc for Bath.
Going by that same site, my Euro5, M1 Diesel Car, Body Type Motor Caravan is exempt from charges. Not so for London Eulz.

My Sept '13 SE 180 (Euro 5) showed chargeable when I checked a few weeks ago.
Just checked again, still shows chargeable.

Yes you can claim an exemption if M1 Vehicle Category appears on your V5. I have just applied for an exemption today, but it will not backdate on the website. To avoid a penalty notice, I have now had to pay £9 each for 2 journeys made last week - I might try and reclaim assuming I receive exemption. My Cali is a 2013 SE TDI 180 Blue Motion. I also got caught out by the Dartford Crossing charges a few years ago but paid up before fixed penalty notice issued.

Yes you can claim an exemption if M1 Vehicle Category appears on your V5. I have just applied for an exemption today, but it will not backdate on the website. To avoid a penalty notice, I have now had to pay £9 each for 2 journeys made last week - I might try and reclaim assuming I receive exemption. My Cali is a 2013 SE TDI 180 Blue Motion. I also got caught out by the Dartford Crossing charges a few years ago but paid up before fixed penalty notice issued.
You should only have been charged on the Dartford crossing as a car, minibus (less than 9 seats) and motor caravan. But you would have been charged the 'Van' rate if the system didn't recognise your vehicle as a motor caravan.

Cars and motorcycles​

Vehicle classOne-off paymentIf you have an account
Motorcycles, mopeds and quad bikesAFreeFree
Cars (including trailers), motorhomes and any minibuses that have 9 or less seats (including the driver’s seat)B£2.50£2.00

Buses, coaches, vans and other goods vehicles​

Vehicle classOne-off paymentIf you have an account
Vehicles with 2 axlesC£3.00£2.63
Vehicles with more than 2 axlesD£6.00£5.19

So just how annoying is the Birmingham clean air zone?

I wasn't really aware it existed until I passed an end of zone sign as I left the central zone heading out towards M6/M42. Our Golf is only euro 5.

Coming from the University area and heading north we ended up on A38/ inner ringroad/ pass through flyover type zone.

We saw no signs to show we were entering a possible chargeable area. We briefly pulled off the ring road by 500m to get fuel on a side street.

The fun starts when you look up the details of the zone. You cannot tell if you have been in the zone until you get a nonpayment notice. Apparently the pass through route is exempt but I've literally no clue whether I strayed from it.

So do I pay the £8? Wait to see if I caught caught out? Try in some way to ask the authority if I was in the zone?

Clean air zones are all well and good but it feels a bit odd not knowing you are entering one (or not) and then no way of checking afterwards.

I wasn't really aware it existed until I passed an end of zone sign as I left the central zone heading out towards M6/M42. Our Golf is only euro 5.

Coming from the University area and heading north we ended up on A38/ inner ringroad/ pass through flyover type zone.

We saw no signs to show we were entering a possible chargeable area. We briefly pulled off the ring road by 500m to get fuel on a side street.

The fun starts when you look up the details of the zone. You cannot tell if you have been in the zone until you get a nonpayment notice. Apparently the pass through route is exempt but I've literally no clue whether I strayed from it.

So do I pay the £8? Wait to see if I caught caught out? Try in some way to ask the authority if I was in the zone?

Clean air zones are all well and good but it feels a bit odd not knowing you are entering one (or not) and then no way of checking afterwards.
T6 with Euro6 will be exempt.

Check here for full details nationally

Reg number check

Thanks. It's only when you follow through on that site that you realise how poorly administered it is for visitors unaware of the Brum scheme.

Yes there should be a sign post and a painted symbol on the carriageway like the congestion charge zone

Back