Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Thanks that's great to hear :) where did you get that sink cover it looks great and which power bank did you get as we aren't having solar panels fitted but thought that a power bank would help off ehu, have you used it yet?
It was crafter by Roger Moreton morton.roger@icloud.com
I bought the Anker Solix C1000 and I'm delighted with it. I use a CPAP machine and also charge our phones and other tech to extend the life of the leisure batteries. It can be recharged while driving or in only 1 hour from the mains.

It was crafter by Roger Moreton morton.roger@icloud.com
I bought the Anker Solix C1000 and I'm delighted with it. I use a CPAP machine and also charge our phones and other tech to extend the life of the leisure batteries. It can be recharged while driving or in only 1 hour from the mains.
That's brilliant thanks I have been looking at that Anker I don't want to spend the extra on solar panels for the Anker so can you manage without those and would it last a few days off grid do you reckon as it will save on hook up costs won't it.

That's brilliant thanks I have been looking at that Anker I don't want to spend the extra on solar panels for the Anker so can you manage without those and would it last a few days off grid do you reckon as it will save on hook up costs won't it.
I've only used it off grid for 2 days so far and I was using the Anker at the same time.

Why not just fit solar panels, instead of Anker, then not much need for EHU?

Why not just fit solar panels, instead of Anker, then not much need for EHU?
There's no inverter fitted on the Sven so the three pin plugs won't work without EHU, that's certainly what I've been told

There's no inverter fitted on the Sven so the three pin plugs won't work without EHU, that's certainly what I've been told
Apologies if you've explained earlier in the thread but why do you need 13a plugs?

Apologies if you've explained earlier in the thread but why do you need 13a plugs?
Sorry this is probably my lack of knowledge, but an earlier post suggested solar instead of a powerbank. So I assumed without an inverter even with solar you wouldn't be able to power items such as a kettle just using solar as you couldn't plug it in. I've probably got completely the wrong end of the stick...:oops:

Sorry this is probably my lack of knowledge, but an earlier post suggested solar instead of a powerbank. So I assumed without an inverter even with solar you wouldn't be able to power items such as a kettle just using solar as you couldn't plug it in. I've probably got completely the wrong end of the stick...:oops:
Ok, unless you're plugging in hair straighteners or similar then leisure batteries (especially with solar) will be fine for fridge, lighting, charging phone etc. Hot water and heating via the gas/diesel heater and kettle on the gas stove for brews. The less you buy and carry aroung the better, it's very capable as it is, no?

You are correct, solar will not give you power to your 13a sockets. Can you not manage without them? Gas hob for kettle.
In your Cali do you run a kettle off the 300w inverter? Doubt it!

You are correct, solar will not give you power to your 13a sockets. Can you not manage without them? Gas hob for kettle.

I suspect part of the reason for upgrading to a bigger van is to have a more pampered camping experience which for many includes using some of the appliances we all enjoy at home eg kettles, hair dryers, air fryer etc. as well as not having to climb to get ibto bed and to have an onboard toilet/shower etc.

I still very much prefer my camping to be more ‘elemental’ frugal & feral! I suspect that won’t always be the case and when that time comes then I imagine a bigger van with mod cons will become more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a valid point, but I did use the 300w inverter to power charger for my Macbook (which won't work from USB) Small electric blanket, radio and other lower powered items. I'm also guessing if I do opt for solar panels on the van they need some sort of rewiring to charge any powerbank?

Ok, unless you're plugging in hair straighteners or similar then leisure batteries (especially with solar) will be fine for fridge, lighting, charging phone etc. Hot water and heating via the gas/diesel heater and kettle on the gas stove for brews. The less you buy and carry aroung the better, it's very capable as it is, no?
I'm in the same situation as Barry I have a Sven on order and I haven't specced solar panels as you can't get them factory fitted and so the dealer will have to fit them and I am sure they have fitted many but it does involve drilling holes in the van roof so it does put me off somewhat, and it will be fairly expensive not that a power bank isn't expensive at £750.

Also Linda needs to use her hairdryer otherwise her hair curls and she can't cope with that and I have seen the result of her hair without a hairdryer and it's not a great look :)
So I thought if I get a good power bank then that would sort our problems out and hopefully we can get away without EHU, or am I mistaken?

I'm in the same situation as Barry I have a Sven on order and I haven't specced solar panels as you can't get them factory fitted and so the dealer will have to fit them and I am sure they have fitted many but it does involve drilling holes in the van roof so it does put me off somewhat, and it will be fairly expensive not that a power bank isn't expensive at £750.

Also Linda needs to use her hairdryer otherwise her hair curls and she can't cope with that and I have seen the result of her hair without a hairdryer and it's not a great look :)
So I thought if I get a good power bank then that would sort our problems out and hopefully we can get away without EHU, or am I mistaken?
Campersales do a great job at fitting solar panels (westy dealer), they drilled holes in both my joker roofs. More chance of a leak from a water tank than the roof

Campersales do a great job at fitting solar panels (westy dealer), they drilled holes in both my joker roofs. More chance of a leak from a water tank than the roof

Did they fit them themselves or use a third party?

Did they fit them themselves or use a third party?
They fitted out both. First one on the silver joker had two stick on panels (wouldn’t recommend sticking any solar to roof).
The 2nd install I supplied them with a Solbian panel and mounted that on a frame that attached to the roof over the top of the recess section (between both skylights). Great place as airflow to stop panel shutting down from over heating etc.
Panel was expensive £600 (solbian dealer in soton with my trade discount) and install was free due to all the van issues.
Panel was amazing the few months I got to use it.

With stick on they fail and nightmare to remove, you have to pretty much stick ontop new ones.

Will be going for Solbian probably on this van in the future.

The factory fitted solar panel is not fixed directly to the roof, it is on roof bars.

The MAN TGE does not need the roof to be drilled to fit roof bars. There are holes already on the roof that are blanked off. The downside is they are not threaded so you have to access the underside of the roof to fix the roof bars. Not the end of the world.

The only hole will be for the wiring. Some vans come pre wired for solar, not sure what this includes.

Campersales fitted 200w of solar to my first Sven. Excellent job, all of the wiring was hidden and the MPPT controller was fitted under the passenger seat.

Personally I can’t live without solar or any sort of power banks.
However, the other half likes to use hairdryers and straighteners and it’s this which prevents prolonged wildcamp experiences. Hence, the best option is most likely a power bank.
Just to many choose from and I never trust YouTubers reviews…..

Ok a question for those who know about this stuff, the Sven has two leisure batteries so if we stayed at a site without EHU do you think we could survive ok for a few days if I bought an Anker Solix C1000 power bank to use for Linda's hairdryer and charging various bits and pieces?

At the moment with the fridge running, diesel heater running for hot water only, and lights in the evening I reckon I am using approx 35Ah per day, so in theory you should at least 2 days out of the batteries without solar. There are lots of variables e.g. in in warm weather the fridge will be running more, longer days mean less drain for lights, how often the heater starts etc.

You can always add an MPPT controller under the drivers seat with a connection for a portable solar panel. No drilling needed.

I have the EcoFlow Delta2, it’s a solid bit of kit.
It will run everything you need.
And also charge it back up from EHU, or home or solar. Should last for 10 years. As long as you condition the batteries as per RTFM

I've only used it off grid for 2 days so far and I was using the Anker at the same time.
Out of interest can you recharge the Anker C1000 using the van leisure battery or does it have to be plugged into the mains and how many days without EHU do you reckon it would last?

Why not consider getting lithium, as much as you fit. An inverter, 2000w minimum. A B2B charger to top up your lithium when on the road. A battery manager is also useful for topping up the engine battery from your solar. You don’t necessarily have to drill holes to mount solar panels. One of the most popular ways of adhering panels to a motorhome is to use aluminium brackets (not plastic) and use a product like sikaflex or equivalent. Granted you’d have to find a way in for your cabling but there are plenty of roof mounted products that guarantee a waterproof solution. Have a chat with one of the various companies that provide these services as you might find out you’ve got options that will work for you.

Out of interest can you recharge the Anker C1000 using the van leisure battery or does it have to be plugged into the mains and how many days without EHU do you reckon it would last?
Inputs are limited to mains, cigarette lighter and solar and anyway I think it would defeat the object of providing additional power to try to recharge it from the leisure batteries. I've used it for 4/5 days powering my devices and it can be recharged via the mains from flat in only 1 hour.

Back