Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

I've just had confirmation that my Sven has gone into build this week. I only ordered it first week in March so about 7 weeks from order to build. Perhaps this is a bellwether of how the demand for leisure vehicles is dropping off (or getting back to pre-covid normality!) I know many have waited for over 12 months for Westfalias with many build times getting pushed back.

I've just had confirmation that my Sven has gone into build this week. I only ordered it first week in March so about 7 weeks from order to build. Perhaps this is a bellwether of how the demand for leisure vehicles is dropping off (or getting back to pre-covid normality!) I know many have waited for over 12 months for Westfalias with many build times getting pushed back.
They would have sold you a pre ordered van I imagine. They place orders for max amount of svens/jokers they can, and then sell them way before they hit the shores (on most occasions).
Westfalia don’t tend to do updates on builds what my westy dealer said. Only when it’s ready for shipping.
Good news if it comes in 7wks, what colour did you go for?

Currently Hobby is running a 20k off deal on the Maxia Van 680 DT which is a 3.5T 177ps 8spd auto 2 bed van.

Basically 69k Euro is the deal, and some dealers have em for even less.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

They would have sold you a pre ordered van I imagine. They place orders for max amount of svens/jokers they can, and then sell them way before they hit the shores (on most occasions).
Westfalia don’t tend to do updates on builds what my westy dealer said. Only when it’s ready for shipping.
Good news if it comes in 7wks, what colour did you go for?
Yes that's what the dealer told me, I've ordered one of the black ones they have not my first choice of colours but it was that or wait a full year. Speculating and reading between the lines, they've just marked one of the 3 on their site as sold which I think is mine the other 2 are still there. If they have ordered 3 I reckon they may be more open to negotiation on the other 2.

A random question as a fellow owner, do you know if the 3 pin plug limit on leisure batteries is 300w the same as the cali? And did you bother with solar panels as I'm unsure on getting Wandahome to add these as I am unlikely to be parked up on any site for more than 2 days? Or any other Sven owners on this forum I'd welcome any advice.

They use to advertise way more vans then they were getting from westfalia. I remember when my joker was on ordered they had 8plus due in within 6mths (never happened).

Have never owned Sven, look great especially in black or indium. There’s a chap on here with orange (Rasp) think he got his from wandahome (looks amazing in orange) he’s had it a few years.
I had solar on both my jokers never went on electric.

There’s atleast 5 Sven owners on here :thumb

I am currently in North Devon in a Sven. It has the factory fitted solar panel, but with a Victron MPPT controller.

The last few days have been sunny and the solar is keeping pace with battery use. During the last week the charger has gone from bulk, to absorption and to float charging on every day except 1.

I am currently in North Devon in a Sven. It has the factory fitted solar panel, but with a Victron MPPT controller.

The last few days have been sunny and the solar is keeping pace with battery use. During the last week the charger has gone from bulk, to absorption and to float charging on every day except 1.
Do you mind if I ask what wattage your solar panel(s) is/are, I'm guessing you'd not be without them!?

A random question as a fellow owner, do you know if the 3 pin plug limit on leisure batteries is 300w the same as the cali? And did you bother with solar panels as I'm unsure on getting Wandahome to add these as I am unlikely to be parked up on any site for more than 2 days? Or any other Sven owners on this forum I'd welcome any advice.
I’ve not seen any reference to an inverter on a Sven Hedin as standard.
@Mullaghroe or @CampervanTime might be able to confirm.

Yes that's what the dealer told me, I've ordered one of the black ones they have not my first choice of colours but it was that or wait a full year. Speculating and reading between the lines, they've just marked one of the 3 on their site as sold which I think is mine the other 2 are still there. If they have ordered 3 I reckon they may be more open to negotiation on the other 2.

Hi Barry

We ordered a Sven in January from Wandahome they told us recently the build date at MAN is June and they reckon delivery for us is quoted at the end of August, we managed to order it in Indium Grey which I think will look amazing. If it comes sooner then so be it but I hope it isn't delayed at all, I haven't asked for a solar panel either I am unsure on that as it means Wandahome drilling holes in the roof!

What are you doing about the wheels it really bugged me that it doesn't come with 17" alloys and I'm not sure I want to spend £2000 on new wheels and tyres straight away, I have been thinking about getting a portable power bank to plug things into that if we aren't on EHU has anyone got one and if so is it any good?

Hi Barry

We ordered a Sven in January from Wandahome they told us recently the build date at MAN is June and they reckon delivery for us is quoted at the end of August, we managed to order it in Indium Grey which I think will look amazing. If it comes sooner then so be it but I hope it isn't delayed at all, I haven't asked for a solar panel either I am unsure on that as it means Wandahome drilling holes in the roof!

What are you doing about the wheels it really bugged me that it doesn't come with 17" alloys and I'm not sure I want to spend £2000 on new wheels and tyres straight away, I have been thinking about getting a portable power bank to plug things into that if we aren't on EHU has anyone got one and if so is it any good?
Hi Andy,

Not sure about your colour, but after phoning Wandahome & Campervan sales I knew pretty promptly if I wanted one this side of winter it'd have to be black (in the words of Henry Ford!) I was quite cynical of the delivery times particularly after the comments on this forum. Which of course were perfectly valid as over the past few years Westfalia/dealers have constantly over promised on delivery times. But to Wandahomes credit, or the significant downturn in the market they were bob on with delivery estimates. I think that I held them to a guaranteed trade in value on my Cali also helped.

I'm really unsure of the solar option, I have little experience in this area but the dealer told me that Will from CampervanTime specced 2 and he seems to know his stuff. So on that basis I'll probably opt for them, not sure if the have to drill holes these days? But if anyone is going to do this I feel better protected by the Westfalia dealer in case of future problems.

On the subject of alloys I agree the standard 16 inch steel ones are miserly and look awful, but when I called my insurer today they want an extra £120 if I change them to 17 inch alloys. So my view here is I'll run the existing ones until they need new tyres then make the decision then, particularly as I'd get bugger all for them on ebay.

Have you had any updates on yours yet?

Hi Barry

Not ready to add another £2k to the purchase price , I didn't go with dealer fitted solar but I did buy a portable power bank to ease the load on the leisure batteries. Its the Anker Solix C1000 and I'm very happy with it. Recently stayed at a small CL that offered metered power. Didn't need it as we went driving on the third day, but I'd like to see that option available more widely.

Hi Andy,

Not sure about your colour, but after phoning Wandahome & Campervan sales I knew pretty promptly if I wanted one this side of winter it'd have to be black (in the words of Henry Ford!) I was quite cynical of the delivery times particularly after the comments on this forum. Which of course were perfectly valid as over the past few years Westfalia/dealers have constantly over promised on delivery times. But to Wandahomes credit, or the significant downturn in the market they were bob on with delivery estimates. I think that I held them to a guaranteed trade in value on my Cali also helped.

I'm really unsure of the solar option, I have little experience in this area but the dealer told me that Will from CampervanTime specced 2 and he seems to know his stuff. So on that basis I'll probably opt for them, not sure if the have to drill holes these days? But if anyone is going to do this I feel better protected by the Westfalia dealer in case of future problems.

On the subject of alloys I agree the standard 16 inch steel ones are miserly and look awful, but when I called my insurer today they want an extra £120 if I change them to 17 inch alloys. So my view here is I'll run the existing ones until they need new tyres then make the decision then, particularly as I'd get bugger all for them on ebay.

I had the same thought about the wheels when I ordered, but I think they look fine and I've no intention of changing them. They match my black Sven very well.

No inverter as standard on a Sven

Hi Andy,

Hi Barry

It looks totally stunning in black it really does, just a bit tricky to keep clean :) I feel the same way you do re the wheels I will run with them to start and actually don't think they look too bad, we want ours this side of winter as when we get it I will pack my job in as it's just not enjoyable anymore.

We want to do some winter camping I think they do drill holes in the roof but as you say they do this all the time I will hang on doing that as maybe the power station might be the answer and as far as delivery it seems like end of August but who knows it might come earlier, who you going with for insurance?

I had the same thought about the wheels when I ordered, but I think they look fine and I've no intention of changing them. They match my black Sven very well.

I do think for the price it should have had alloys but I think the black steel wheels do look ok :) have you got yours yet and if so what do you think, is it nice to drive?

Hi Barry

It looks totally stunning in black it really does, just a bit tricky to keep clean :) I feel the same way you do re the wheels I will run with them to start and actually don't think they look too bad, we want ours this side of winter as when we get it I will pack my job in as it's just not enjoyable anymore.

We want to do some winter camping I think they do drill holes in the roof but as you say they do this all the time I will hang on doing that as maybe the power station might be the answer and as far as delivery it seems like end of August but who knows it might come earlier, who you going with for insurance?
I'm with Comfort, they were the best for me by a fair margin on the Cali they insist on a tracker which isn't a problem. I agree with the alloys point, still think they let the look of the SH down, but no worries about scuffing and they're a lot stronger than alloy wheels....

The OZ Rally Raids are a great look on the SV. More aggressive stance and overall better look compared the steelies.

They were 235/55/17.
Still can’t make my mind up about that colour Sven, think it may look better in the flesh. I love Rasp orange Sven there’s a few pics on here somewhere (stunning!).
Needs the step removing or powder coating black :thumb

Back