Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Why on earth Westfalia don't add either a pop top, or a higher roof to accommodate a bed in the Sven Hedin is beyond me. I reckon it would be default go to for most Cali owners wanting a bigger van, so many people say they'd have one in a heartbeat if it were only 4 berth.....

I'm wondering whether VW sold Westfalia the batch of MAN TGE's on the basis they don't make it into a 4 berth and take sales away from the Grand California?

I’m guessing payload is part of the reason. A high spec 170hp MAN/Crafter has a max payload of circa 1,300kg on 3.5 ton chassis. A pop top with roof strengthening to make the van crash compliant would probably eat into the payload which will already be massively reduced by the furniture, bathroom, extra water capacity to feed the shower, appliances etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the reality is that a 5.5m van for four that squeezes in a lounge, washroom and fixed bed will always feel a little bit cramped in each section. I often wondered if people would buy in to a 5.5m long Ocean layout, just with more space, standing room and storage. Looks like Ventura are having a go at one, it’s on a Peugeot which is meh but if VW came out with say a 5.5m Crafter, would people consider it? You could probably work in a Portapotti with a privacy screen and an external shower point with hot water.

I do like that.
However, I would say most people move up in size from a California for a fixed bed and separate loo cubicle.
The loo, is a game changer. Fully expect, we may never use the shower in ours. But separate loo and the space to hang wet towels, coats or outdoor gear helps tremendously .

I think the reality is that a 5.5m van for four that squeezes in a lounge, washroom and fixed bed will always feel a little bit cramped in each section. I often wondered if people would buy in to a 5.5m long Ocean layout, just with more space, standing room and storage. Looks like Ventura are having a go at one, it’s on a Peugeot which is meh but if VW came out with say a 5.5m Crafter, would people consider it? You could probably work in a Portapotti with a privacy screen and an external shower point with hot water.

Club Joker & LWB Nugget already handle it well. Both under 5.5m.

4 people in a current Ocean can’t really be considered as spacious (even without kitchen / toilet)

Club Joker & LWB Nugget already handle it well. Both under 5.5m.

4 people in a current Ocean can’t really be considered as spacious (even without kitchen / toilet)
Yeah but neither of those options are laid out like an Ocean. I was meaning a 5.5m van with head height and the Ocean layout. I reckon it would feel pretty huge in comparison.

Yeah but neither of those options are laid out like an Ocean. I was meaning a 5.5m van with head height and the Ocean layout. I reckon it would feel pretty huge in comparison.

The Ocean layout restricts any walk thru.

The Ocean layout restricts any walk thru.
Yes it does, but there’s nowhere to really walk through to in an Ocean! Have a look at that Ventura layout, was just asking if people might be tempted by that if it was on a VW platform :) With two young kids the extra floor space would be more useful to me than losing space on a shower for example.

Does anyone know whether the 2024 Sven Hedin has any speed restrictions on motorways, will I be allowed to do 70mph on motorways and 60mph on single lane roads?

Does anyone know whether the 2024 Sven Hedin has any speed restrictions on motorways, will I be allowed to do 70mph on motorways and 60mph on single lane roads?
I have one on order, and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it's any less than 70!

I have one on order, and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it's any less than 70!

There’s a rumour circulating on some of the forums, that as of this year 3.5t vans will be factory limited…

The Sven has a maximum unladen weight under 3050kg, so can travel at 60mph on single carriageways and 70mph on dual carriageways.

Bazza I just tried to PM you but don’t seem to be able to, any chance you can drop me one? Just have a question for you (unrelated to the above).

Bazza I just tried to PM you but don’t seem to be able to, any chance you can drop me one? Just have a question for you (unrelated to the above).
Hi Jimmy,

I think it's because I'm not a fully paid up member of this site so I can't get it to work either.

The Sven has a maximum unladen weight under 3050kg, so can travel at 60mph on single carriageways and 70mph on dual carriageways.
Thanks for that reply as Linda read something about classifications saying if it's classed as a van it is restricted! Good to know that it isn't restricted as I don't want to be doing 60mph on a motorway

Thanks for that reply as Linda read something about classifications saying if it's classed as a van it is restricted! Good to know that it isn't restricted as I don't want to be doing 60mph on a motorway
FYI in mainland Europe all vehicles that are under 3.5T are subject to same rules of the road as normal cars. That said in Germany you can drive your California at 200kmh with no problem in the unrestricted zones.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

FYI in mainland Europe all vehicles that are under 3.5T are subject to same rules of the road as normal cars. That said in Germany you can drive your California at 200kmh with no problem in the unrestricted zones.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Thanks I feel relieved now :)

On the subject of bigger vans, I think we may have found a replacement so the Hymer 540 Blue Evo is going up for sale.

Not being a VW, don't know if I can post it on here or not? Any advice?

On the subject of bigger vans, I think we may have found a replacement so the Hymer 540 Blue Evo is going up for sale.

What are you getting?

Another Hymer, likely a BMC, MLT or an Exsis t474.

I would try it on here, less timewasters than other sites and plenty of people after something the next size up. :thumb

Another Hymer, likely a BMC, MLT or an Exsis t474.

Your going for a big big van…
Good luck with the sale, think mine went via the HOGS group .

Back