Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best windbreak

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, we have been toying with the idea of a windbreak as part of our camping equipment. Do you have a windbreak? Are they a waste of money? Can you recommend any? We have been reading reviews of many of them but most don’t get good reviews but we have no idea what makes a good one or bad one.. Thanks for any replies

Will and Sarah rate this one from Outdoor Revolution. Sturdy and can be ordered in different configurations. Pricey though but seems worth it compared to the cheap Ebay ones.

We got a relatively cheap windbreak from Outwell, a 4 panel / 5 pole design, with poles and guys ropes. We picked it due to the small pack size/ weight. Like any bit of camping kit, practice makes perfect! We can now set it up in about 10 minutes, and with the guys and bottom loops pegged, it stands a fair wind.

Hi, we have been toying with the idea of a windbreak as part of our camping equipment. Do you have a windbreak? Are they a waste of money? Can you recommend any? We have been reading reviews of many of them but most don’t get good reviews but we have no idea what makes a good one or bad one.. Thanks for any replies
We like the good old fashioned wooden pole ones, with metal tip spikes and metal ring tops so you can bash them in good and hard. They don't take up space with guy ropes and if bashed in hard enough can take some serious winds. Ours stayed up in 50mph no problem.
They fit in the long section of the boot which goes next to the bench.
This is they one we have
But there are lots of different patterns

Will and Sarah rate this one from Outdoor Revolution. Sturdy and can be ordered in different configurations. Pricey though but seems worth it compared to the cheap Ebay ones.

Oh yes I have bought one of those - I looked at all the typical material/wooden pole ones but opted for the Outdoor as wanted to be able to put it up myself & for it to stay up! Its very easy theres lots of video info - very sturdy & tbh on sheltered pitches will only need 2 end poles not the guide ropes. It packs away easily into the bag into the boot. I bought mine for bit of privacy too as dont use awnings but sometimes on small pitches like some privacy. Yes its more expensive but you get what you pay for. If you order through Campervan Bits you get the forum discount plus it was on sale recently.

We too have been looking at windbreaks and like the look of this one. It’s the 3 piece we were considering. Video shows 4 poles however one reviewer (on Amazon) said only got two poles !

Yes the 3 panel only has 2 outer poles which I think are adequate as very rigid on its own , then you have the option of the 3 guide ropes to secure in the back

I have been looking at the Vango family range look quite small when packed relatively cheap what are they like in practice

In my view you need to consider what a device like a windbreak should be ‘best’ at…

best function in terms of size?
best to errect easily and quickly?
best stability in wind?
best appearance?
best to pack away small / light?
best price?

You normally can’t have it all. We went for ‘pack away small and light’ as the primary, and ‘best function’ and ‘low price‘ as secondary requirements. The Outwell is also stable in higher winds, but you do need to pitch it well, and I’ve added two more guy ropes to achieve this.

My guess is the three panel version (360 cm) is long enough for most uses with a Cali - the rollout awning being 260cm I think. If you have one, is that sufficient? would save weight, space and cash!