Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bench drawer rust

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. Has anyone had minor rust sports appear on the base of their bench seat drawer. I've seen posts about this happening on the actual frame but not the drawer. There, recommendations have been given to apply Jenolite or paint with Hammerite which I'd be happy to do but just wanted to check if anyone had alternative suggestions or think there might be a problem in doing so.

I did the same on My18 cal. No problems with Hammerite, all good.

Been using Jenolite for years on rusty automotive components. Turns the orange rust to black so may not need painting.
Question is why you get rust in the first place. Do you have excessive condensation, leaks etc. I would put a couple packs of desiccant inside the Cali when not being used.

Kevin5658 - thanks for your suggestion of Hammerite (my Macbook's auto spell check wanted to put 'Mammertoe' - sounds painful and probably not very effective in rust removal )

Corradobrit - thanks for your suggestion too. I did wonder about why this might be and will put some Kontrol crystals in after treating it.

Shocking really but already I have signs of minor surface rust on the rear seat frame base on our 6 week old Ocean !!

And not as a result of my leaking bellows!!!!

It must have been painted with the thinnest coat of paint and with minimal surface preparation.

I am quickly learning that VW Cali ownership is not unlike my Land Rover experience :eek:.

Bad luck, lohr500. Sorry to hear :-(

Back