Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows leaking in heavy rain

S

sxwvan

Hi I have just spent my first night in my new California Berghaus and found the bellows are not water proof, I have searched the web and found a cover called a vanerak this is not suitable as I have cross bars does anyone have any suggestions regarding anything to keep the water out as it is extremely frustrating trying to keep dry in the wet please help from a wet California owner

We had a couple of heavy showers in ours last week and didn't get any water inside the van.

Obvious question but are all of the zipped windows closed properly?

I've had a few heavy rain nights recently and no problems whatsoever - do a bit of wild camping in the lakes and it's always wet and windy here!

Kevin

Have just returned from a trip to Switzerland and France where we had two heavy overnight thunderstorms, one with strong winds as well. On both occasions we were sleeping upstairs and stayed completely dry. On the first night the canvas was dry before we moved on the following morning but on the second night we had to fold the roof away wet. At the time I was concerned that we would end up with a wet mattress but having raised the roof at lunchtime to dry it off we found that the mattress was still dry. One thing that may have helped was that we keep the cab screens opened up on the bed while travelling but they didn't seem to be wet either.

sxwvan said:
Hi I have just spent my first night in my new California Berghaus and found the bellows are not water proof, I have searched the web and found a cover called a Vanarak this is not suitable as I have cross bars does anyone have any suggestions regarding anything to keep the water out as it is extremely frustrating trying to keep dry in the wet please help from a wet California owner

Hi sxwvan :hello

If you look on the VW California web site they make a "Vanerk with Ears"

This allows you to put it on with the cross bars in place

Dont forget Ulli does the topless Mutze Cap at California Camping, he is back from holiday now so shipping is back to normal.

6430.jpg

After a very wet week last week in Devon. We put the roof down most days whilst wet, when we left the campsite to go surfing. I was worried I would have a wet matress but was amazed it was dry.

The week was so damp I came back with trench foot.

Had to drop the roof on Thursday night as the 50mph winds seemed extreme to have the roof up, so again roof was wet when we drove home. Nightmare on M25 meant roof down for 15 hour but still the matress was dry.

Where has it leaked? around the windows or in a corner?

Hi thanksu to all who replied I will let you know my choice and how it fares
Stephen

Chris said:
After a very wet week last week in Devon. We put the roof down most days whilst wet, when we left the campsite to go surfing. I was worried I would have a wet matress but was amazed it was dry.

The week was so damp I came back with trench foot.

Had to drop the roof on Thursday night as the 50mph winds seemed extreme to have the roof up, so again roof was wet when we drove home. Nightmare on M25 meant roof down for 15 hour but still the matress was dry.

Where has it leaked? around the windows or in a corner?
Hi Chris it leaked straight through the fabric the side was saturated

The bellows would normally turn the water easily.
I think good quality material (of the cotton type rather than man mades) needs a first-time dousing to expand the fibres. They stay expanded when dry thereafter and this normally ensures a waterproof state.
You might have been unlucky and the first-time wetting might have been a serious downpour.
I'd only be worried if it happened again.
Wait for the next wet weather (I don't think you'd need to wait more than a couple of hours), put the roof up and see what happens. Should be ok.

If not, straight back to the dealer who has sold an item not fit for purpose ...
Good luck.

Barry

We have had a situation where the bedding was in contact with the bellows, which caused a wicking effect and a wet duvet. Must admit we normally use a Mutze so haven't got a lot of experience of testing the waterproofness, but in this case the extreme driving rain blew under the Mutze at our toes

We had the same problem with water getting in thru the side panels of the bellows. Volkswagens sales department confirmed that the bellows are completely waterproof and the service department replaced the bellows under warranty. It only happened when it was very wet & windy but they said it should not happen at all.

I am a new member of the owners club and I have read with interest some of the comments on the bellows leaking. We have experienced leaking in our California (2010) during both heavy rain and windy wet weather resulting in the edge of the bedding getting wet. We had the bellows replaced under warranty last year but there has been no improvement. I personally believe it is sub-standard material that is used. Our local dealer has been in touch with VW technical support and has been informed that the bellows will leak in heavy rain. One should not expect this from a VW or a vehicle of the price of a California. The leaking bellows lets down what is otherwise a brilliant camper van. I would not expect, even a cheap modern tent to leak in this way.

Stewart
01/07/2012

Hi Stuart. Like Barry says above it think the canvas needs to get wet a few times
Before it becomes watertight the fibre's in the canvas seem to work better after this :thumb

Never been wet up there and in some serious driving rain too.

I was worried about our roof too but it was fine in heavy rain. However the drying out bit (which doesn't actually take long in dry weather) was more of a worry so we bought a Pucer cover which really came into it's own in completely nuts weather last weekend - no dampness at all.

Back