Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach mains power connection

F

FNQ California

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
Hi, We have a 2020 T6.1 California Beach. It's not a daily drive so we need to keep the leisure battery topped up (the dash cam runs the battery flat in 3-4 weeks). There's no external mains connection fitted to the vehicle.
Presently I connect a charger via a lead through the side window. I'd prefer to have it continuously connected to a battery maintenance charger while parked, but can't with side window slightly open - security snakes & insect concerns.
I've thought about having a mains connection installed which I could connect the battery to, it would also be a useful option when staying in van parks.
Has anyone experience with this, and where on the vehicle should the plug be placed?
Many thanks,

We had EHU fitted about 5 years ago, cost was about £300. It was fitted in the engine bay in front of the battery + 2 x sockets (one in usual place, one in the boot).

We had the choice of having the EHU socket in the engine or on the side of van (same as factory fit). Price was the same.

That said, we installed solar panels 4 years ago, and never needed to use EHU up after that even during the winter and had fridge running 24/7 even when parked up on the driveway.

IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5130.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg

Last edited:
That's clever! Never would have thought of installing in the engine bay. Many thanks.

+ 240v fuse box / trip switch goes in the jack cubby hole stowage compartment. (Can still store the jack, warning triangle etc as normal.)

Back