Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

B4 I Buy, anyone running rear dashcam with OEM bike rack?

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Is the view badly obscured by the tailgate rack on the rear camera?… dual camera dash cams are expensive so don’t want to waste my money.

Thanks all.

You can mount the rear facing camera slightly off center, this will improve vision when the rack is in stowed position. As for when the bikes are on the view is slightly blocked, but this depends entirely on what bikes you have on ( ladies bikes have a lower frame bar).

We have also seen sets with the camera in the tail gate grip above the number plate.

Ours is a little obscured but not fatally so. Removing unnecessary bike arms and channels can help. With the bikes on the visibility is quite poor, but you can make out bits between the gaps.

Ours is a little obscured but not fatally so. Removing unnecessary bike arms and channels can help. With the bikes on the visibility is quite poor, but you can make out bits between the gaps.
Thanks... so would you say its still worth having a rear camera?

I fitted my rear Black View camera at the bottom of the rear window off-centre just to the right of the wiper motor cover as you look from outside. This was below the bike rack but still covered the whole rear area well. The rear blind also missed it.

Alan

I fitted my rear Black View camera at the bottom of the rear window off-centre just to the right of the wiper motor cover as you look from outside. This was below the bike rack but still covered the whole rear area well. The rear blind also missed it.

Alan
Brilliant, thanks !

Ive just ordered the 970 LTE. How did you route the wire?... do you have a photo by any chance.

Thank you.

Sorry, I have sold my Cali and didn't take any photos of the camera installation.

Mine is a 750 model and as I had to park our Cali on the road often and wanted the camera system to be permanently powered. So I powered the cameras from the leisure batteries.
There was a row of unused fuse sockets under the passenger seat on my 2010 Cali which just needed a fused piggyback connector to pick a 12volt feed for the power box.

The front camera cables were run across the top of the windscreen just tucked under the roof lining edge, then across the top of the front passenger door. The power cable then went down under the rubber edging of the door opening to the floor. From there just across to under the passenger seat to pick up the power. I ran a cable under the carpet to the front and up to the fuse box in the dashboard to pick up an ignition-switched feed using another piggyback connector. You need to chat up your friendly VW dealer to find out which fuses in the dashboard are Ignition switched.

VW dealers are not told which fuse does what. They have to contact VW for every vehicle they work on to find out the relevant layout! You will also need a cigarette lighter socket adaptor.

The rear camera cable was run from the top of the B pillar above the sink and wardrobe to the rear. This was a little troublesome but pulling off the door B pillar trim, taking out the lights above the sink, and using an electrician's cable pull helped. My van did not have a rear aircon, which can cause a little obstruction beside the wardrobe.

I managed to pull the cable through the rubber conduit tube on the tailgate that routed the rear screen heater, number plate light, and rear wiper cables. This was tight due to the 3.5mm plug but doable. This was the most difficult part of the job.

The cable was then tucked under the edge of the rear window trim to the bottom of the window and the camera.

The system on sale now has changed a little since I bought my cameras as the power supply box has been replaced with a more intelligent battery system.

I hope that helps.

Alan

Sorry, I have sold my Cali and didn't take any photos of the camera installation.

Mine is a 750 model and as I had to park our Cali on the road often and wanted the camera system to be permanently powered. So I powered the cameras from the leisure batteries.
There was a row of unused fuse sockets under the passenger seat on my 2010 Cali which just needed a fused piggyback connector to pick a 12volt feed for the power box.

The front camera cables were run across the top of the windscreen just tucked under the roof lining edge, then across the top of the front passenger door. The power cable then went down under the rubber edging of the door opening to the floor. From there just across to under the passenger seat to pick up the power. I ran a cable under the carpet to the front and up to the fuse box in the dashboard to pick up an ignition-switched feed using another piggyback connector. You need to chat up your friendly VW dealer to find out which fuses in the dashboard are Ignition switched.

VW dealers are not told which fuse does what. They have to contact VW for every vehicle they work on to find out the relevant layout! You will also need a cigarette lighter socket adaptor.

The rear camera cable was run from the top of the B pillar above the sink and wardrobe to the rear. This was a little troublesome but pulling off the door B pillar trim, taking out the lights above the sink, and using an electrician's cable pull helped. My van did not have a rear aircon, which can cause a little obstruction beside the wardrobe.

I managed to pull the cable through the rubber conduit tube on the tailgate that routed the rear screen heater, number plate light, and rear wiper cables. This was tight due to the 3.5mm plug but doable. This was the most difficult part of the job.

The cable was then tucked under the edge of the rear window trim to the bottom of the window and the camera.

The system on sale now has changed a little since I bought my cameras as the power supply box has been replaced with a more intelligent battery system.

I hope that helps.

Alan
Thanks Alan, very helpful.

Back