Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning conundrum

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Is there a correct way to erect the awning when you are alone? Obviously you can't just wind it fully out and then drop the legs as the forces will damage the awning. But winding the awning out about 12 inches and dropping the legs then cause a problem also

I always do the awning on my own. My method is to wind out enough to be able to drop the legs, but when you do angle them out rather than vertical. Wind out till they're about to collapse, move legs out again and continue winding.
Doing it this way I only have to move the legs out a couple of times (sometimes 3)

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Totally agree with the free guy..

I always do it by myself... wind out about half a meter... drop the legs... wind out fully... reposition the legs... attach tie downs.

VERY easy, never had an issue.

Regards
Mark

When i am allone , i pick out two other random guests on the campsite and ask them kind to support each a side of the awning as i wind it out....
:headbang

I always do it by myself... wind out about half a meter... drop the legs... wind out fully... reposition the legs... attach tie downs.

Regards
Mark
In fact I think this method is mentioned in the Handbook.

To tell you how to put the awning out when you're on your own.:thumb

Regards
Mark
The free guy.........I like that!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Is there a correct way to erect the awning when you are alone? Obviously you can't just wind it fully out and then drop the legs as the forces will damage the awning. But winding the awning out about 12 inches and dropping the legs then cause a problem also
Does anyone actually use the awning, especially now it's getting cooler? Personally, i want to be exposed to every ray of sunshine I can get! Took mine off for my europe trip so I could use a drive away awning - mainly for storage purposes.
Martyn, we need sort another night out before you do your road trip, I can fill you in on some of the things I learnt on mine last week.

We've been away in Europe for the last 2 weeks, brought the Vango Kela but it's still in it's bag in the back. The wind out awning is all we've used. Mind it's 25C+ here on lake trasimeno this week, so not really worried about keeping warm. :bananadance