Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are national trust campsites free to members?

We love the National Trust…… (which is a bit weird I s’pose because many of the properties come from times when the world was clearly ’haves’ and ‘have nots’, and I would have been at the front of the revolution back in the day yelling “Off with their heads!”) however the fact is that for a one off fee we get access to beautiful historic and unique properties and parks all over the UK and free parking in nearly all the coastal car parks in Cornwall (worth it for that alone!).

We have just moved from Scotland where we had Scottish membership which as it happens is considerably cheaper than the English membership (especially if one of you is over 60 :) ).

Funnily enough, a few years ago we used to stop overnight in many of the ‘house car parks’ by simply being discreet, placing ourselves at the far end and often having a quick word with one of the attendants although they never officially sanctioned our presence,, just turned a blind eye. Unfortunately those days have gone now :(

We also used to, and still do, stop overnight in some of the more remote car parks out of season, again common sense and discretion prevailing :thumb.

We have often thought how useful it would be if the National Trust would allow campervans to stop overnight, say between 18:00 and 09:00 when the car parks would otherwise be empty. We would be happy to pay a modest fee (£10 perhaps?).

So there we are, long live the National Trust :thumb
They do, they have a couple of car parks in the lakes where you can park overnight for a small fee.

They do, they have a couple of car parks in the lakes where you can park overnight for a small fee.

Which ones are they and when did you last use them? They used to do that at Stickle Barn but the last time I went there (earlier this year), the guy said the NT had stopped that practice and you couldn’t park in any NT car park overnight. It’s possible that was inaccurate so I’d be interested to see if you can still do that in other NT car parks in the Lakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which ones are they and when did you last use them? They used to do that at Stickle Barn but the last time I went there (earlier this year), the guy said the NT had stopped that practice and you couldn’t park in any NT car park overnight. It’s possible that was inaccurate so I’d be interested to see if you can still do that in other NT car parks in the Lakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One near Ulswater, also the pub at great Langdale, and a car park a bit out of the can’t remember what it’s called but on the coast side of the lakes last used by us March 2022

The campsite at Olbury Hill gives free access to Ightam Mote so there is an incentive there if you’re not a member.

One near Ulswater, also the pub at great Langdale, and a car park a bit out of the can’t remember what it’s called but on the coast side of the lakes last used by us March 2022
I’m guessing the pub at Great Langdale is Stickle Barn. That’s the one I used to use where the guy said they’d stopped it.

Back