Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any new mini oven discoveries?

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Ive been scowering this site and the internet obsessively to try and find a solution to carrying a small oven for cooking on EHU that also stores neatly (not in the boot)... but alas nothing.

Ive looked at the Quest 9l which I think will fit nicely under the sink, but the internal dimensions (considering the placement of the elements) seems ridiculous - cant see how you could cook a small chicken or even a frozen meal in it (read it has barely 7cms of usable height).

Anyone solved the problem of how to oven cook (convector or airfry) with a device that stores nicely (not in the boot) and has a 'usable' interior space?

I know a tall ask, but no harm in putting it out there (new products released all the time).

Thanks!

Thanks, ,, yes. Sounds lame, but cant cook a lasagne from Aldi or a loaf of sourdough...
We were looking at buying one of these for home, not the cali. We have a normal air fryer but it's hard to fit things like pizza or tray dinners into it. Have a look at the dimensions to see if would fit. 2000w though, so hook up only.

I was looking into a small induction hob to use in the Cali, we tend to cook outside on a cheap Aldi hot plate. Both not good for lasagne though.

Breville Halo Rotisserie Air Fryer | Digital Extra Large Air Fryer Oven | 10 L | Fry, Bake & Dehydrate | 2000 W | Energy Efficient | Black and Grey [VDF127] https://amzn.eu/d/4SP4VNJ

We were looking at buying one of these for home, not the cali. We have a normal air fryer but it's hard to fit things like pizza or tray dinners into it. Have a look at the dimensions to see if would fit. 2000w though, so hook up only.

I was looking into a small induction hob to use in the Cali, we tend to cook outside on a cheap Aldi hot plate. Both not good for lasagne though.

Breville Halo Rotisserie Air Fryer | Digital Extra Large Air Fryer Oven | 10 L | Fry, Bake & Dehydrate | 2000 W | Energy Efficient | Black and Grey [VDF127] https://amzn.eu/d/4SP4VNJ
Bingo!

I didnt realised you could move the shelves - the 5l one fits under the sink if you move the shelf up to its highest position.

Thanks for letting me know about this one :thumb

Bodum have a new product. Air fryer but it also bakes, roasts and grills. 2700W

Bingo!

I didnt realised you could move the shelves - the 5l one fits under the sink if you move the shelf up to its highest position.

Thanks for letting me know about this one :thumb
I was thinking about the 10l one, but it's big. I like pizza though and the draw/basket type air fryers are not good for frozen pizza.

Double check the model, they are not all mini ovens. The 5 litre one's dimensions seem a bit small, the dimensions look wrong.

I was thinking about the 10l one, but it's big. I like pizza though and the draw/basket type air fryers are not good for frozen pizza.

Double check the model, they are not all mini ovens. The 5 litre one's dimensions seem a bit small, the dimensions look wrong.
The 10l one has just gone down to £100, don't know how long it will be that low. So just bought one, will have a play and see if it fits in the Cali. It looks like it's a bit taller than a Thetford 335 but smaller, width and depth.

The 10l one has just gone down to £100, don't know how long it will be that low. So just bought one, will have a play and see if it fits in the Cali. It looks like it's a bit taller than a Thetford 335 but smaller, width and depth.
I bought the 5l.. arriving tomorrow. Only £62 on Amazon. :thumb

Could you post a picture of it on the van worktop when it arrives? It would be good to see the size in situ.

It fits! :thumb.. altho as expected the published dimensions are slightly out (they didn't include the handle)

Now to see if the appliance is any good at cooking....

IMG_5228.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG

It fits! :thumb.. altho as expected the published dimensions are slightly out (they didn't include the handle)

Now to see if the appliance is any good at cooking....

View attachment 117685

View attachment 117686
Looks big on the worktop, fits the cupboard though. You will have to make sure that vent at the back doesn't exhaust too much heat, it might be an intake. A lot of people cook outside, if the weather is not too bad.

I'm always confused about what electrical equipment is ok on a campsite electric hook up, would these 2000 watt ovens be ok for use on an ehu? I know in Europe the supply is often lower than the UK but even on campsites here I'm a bit cautious, probably overly so.

I'm always confused about what electrical equipment is ok on a campsite electric hook up, would these 2000 watt ovens be ok for use on an ehu? I know in Europe the supply is often lower than the UK but even on campsites here I'm a bit cautious, probably overly so.
Normally 10a in the UK, so 2300w. The main electric heating in our caravan is 2000w, so you have to be careful. You have one electric ring on the cooker, a microwave, a kettle and the water heater. So if anything is turned on with the heating on full, the electric will pop.
In the old days you had to get the warden to reset the trip. (and tell you off)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJQ
Thanks, ,, yes. Sounds lame, but cant cook a lasagne from Aldi or a loaf of sourdough...
Oh yes you can! I have used one for years….. and often bake bread including sourdough (I mean real stuff made by me, not from the shop). There is very little that you can not do with one of these

Actually our Bluetti AC 200 Max has a 2kw output, with a 4k surge, as does the Jackery 2000 Pro, so it is doable, as are microwaves, hairdryers and electric grills, which we prefer to carrying gas onboard.

Oh yes you can! I have used one for years….. and often bake bread including sourdough (I mean real stuff made by me, not from the shop). There is very little that you can not do with one of these
same here... yum yum

Most of the time we cook outdoors if we can, so we carry a Campinggaz stove/bbq, similar to a Cadac. We also modify our menu options to the pots we carry. The Cadac paella pan is great for stews and even fry ups, the Ridgemonkey deep pan is also adaptable and can act as a small oven as the lid clamps shut - cooking a small chicken is doable. Last year we had a family holiday including our new to the world granddaughter, and bought the smallest microwave we could find (for the sterilisation capability). Its really against everything I’ve held dear about camping, but it was a useful added kitchen aid, even though it’s still a big lump!

Not tried it, but we came across this oven (?) the other day. https://www.vanim.de/p/ovheo-camping-backofen

Unsure if it's any good from a performance angle, but the ability to flatpack it is intruiging and incredibly valuable.
Id seen that, but wondered if the outside would get very hot even too hot to touch so disregarded it.

I am also only really considering winter / indoor cooking as I agree I would much rather be cooking outside and to my own recipes.

Not tried it, but we came across this oven (?) the other day. https://www.vanim.de/p/ovheo-camping-backofen

Unsure if it's any good from a performance angle, but the ability to flatpack it is intruiging and incredibly valuable.
Possibly a daft question, but could I run a Vango Sizzle induction from an EcoFlow Delta 2? They are 1,600W max, 800W per ring.

I imagine that’s peak draw? So if I was heating eg a tin of beans for 15 mins, does that work?

I bought the Delta 2, but beyond charging it and reading recommendations here, I have done zero research.

Possibly a daft question, but could I run a Vango Sizzle induction from an EcoFlow Delta 2? They are 1,600W max, 800W per ring.

I imagine that’s peak draw? So if I was heating eg a tin of beans for 15 mins, does that work?

I bought the Delta 2, but beyond charging it and reading recommendations here, I have done zero research.
We've not got our Ocean yet, but I'm struggling to figure out why you would carry round an electric induction hob to heat up a can of beans when you have a gas hob built in.

After the luxury of loads of space in a twin axle caravan and a massive ten man tent with trailer for four of us, I'm thinking we need to take a minimalist approach on kit now there are just two of us in an Ocean.