Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to Emovis Tag

R

Rod-Sandra

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just wanted to know if there was an alternative to the Emovis Tag. Ours is out of battery and I want to consider options before committing to getting another one.

Saw an advert for Bip n Go while in France - has anyone used these tags?

I like the Fulli tag, though I have no experience of the alternatives.

Fulli does France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

It has to be charged by international SEPA direct debit, not a credit card, but if like me you don’t like direct debits (particularly international) you can for example have a dedicated Starling account with just sufficient funds.

There is quite a lot of TAG info on the forum but unfortunately the search feature it not currently working well.

I've got a PAYG Big&Go tag, which also works in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal. You only pay the (about €2.70 pm) service charge for the months that you use it and the convenience of driving through the Liber-T 'tag' channels on the motorway is fab! As with @Viktorgeorge above, it needs to be attached to a € (Euro) bank account, and I do the same thing with a Starling account. Used it on a couple of trips now, it works well and it's super-convenient!

Oh yes, it only debits your account for the aggregate of your tolls once per month, and can take a couple of months to catch up with all of them - especially 'non France' tolls.

Thoroughly recommend it!

Other alternative is to wake your passenger up everytime you reach a toll booth; if you leave the wake up call late enough & shock them it’s usually enough to make them drop the ticket or credit card.

Upside is that there is no monthly fee!…

Bip and Go worked for us on this summer's 4 week France trip.
Caen - Cote D'Azure, across the bottom then back up.
€205 , just under 2000 miles.
just have to turn the radio down to hear the 'bip' :)

We have an APRR Fulli (formerly Mango, formerly Top Europ) for 5 years. The charges are lower than emovis and we are billed in euros to a credit card with no euro fees. It also does Spain, Portugal and Italy.

We have an APRR Fulli (formerly Mango, formerly Top Europ) for 5 years. The charges are lower than emovis and we are billed in euros to a credit card with no euro fees. It also does Spain, Portugal and Italy.
Yes, but you are lucky (due to long term use) on the credit card point, new applicants have to give a bank account that accepts SEPA direct debits - credit cards are not accepted. In my case I use a dedicated Starling Acount with just sufficient balance: as I am nervous about international direct debits (even national one) as if things go wrong it can be a battle to resolve - unlike credit cards where the onus is more on the bank to resolve.

We have had a great Emovis tag for a couple of years but they sent us a new one which didn’t work this summer driving from Santander to Calais over 2 weeks. This was quite frustrating. They thought I had it positioned wrong but it’s in the same position as the old one by the mirror.

They’ve now said it must be faulty and will replace it again.

So I was also wondering about alternatives but I don’t want to have to open euro bank accounts etc.

We have had a great Emovis tag for a couple of years but they sent us a new one which didn’t work this summer driving from Santander to Calais over 2 weeks. This was quite frustrating. They thought I had it positioned wrong but it’s in the same position as the old one by the mirror.

They’ve now said it must be faulty and will replace it again.

So I was also wondering about alternatives but I don’t want to have to open euro bank accounts etc.
Well, in case you are worryingly unnecessarily, the Starling Account stays in Sterling and uses day market rates to exchange. But, of course, it is possible that this will change in time (it is after all a startup bank). It took 5 - 10 minutes to set up if I recall correctly.

If there are SEPA direct debit issues, Fulli let you pay by credit card for that invoice, but expect you to then resolve those issues.

Yes, but you are lucky (due to long term use) on the credit card point, new applicants have to give a bank account that accepts SEPA direct debits - credit cards are not accepted. In my case I use a dedicated Starling Acount with just sufficient balance: as I am nervous about international direct debits (even national one) as if things go wrong it can be a battle to resolve - unlike credit cards where the onus is more on the bank to resolve.
No need to be nervous of either the SEPA direct debit scheme or UK dd scheme.

SEPA dd scheme rules:
  • During the eight weeks following the direct debit date, the payer has the possibility of requesting a refund without having to provide any justifications. This is the right to a ‘no-questions-asked’ refund.
  • If the transaction was unauthorised(i.e. the collection does not relate to the signed mandate), the payer can ask for a refund up to 13 monthsafter the direct debit.
UK dd scheme rules:
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
So basically, if an amount is taken that you disagree with, your bank has to return it to you.

Fyi, most UK banks are members of the SEPA CT (credit transfer) scheme. However, less UK banks are members of the SEPA direct debit scheme. This constantly changes, so worth checking with your bank, even if someone states that they’ve previously checked.

No need to be nervous of either the SEPA direct debit scheme or UK dd scheme.

SEPA dd scheme rules:
  • During the eight weeks following the direct debit date, the payer has the possibility of requesting a refund without having to provide any justifications. This is the right to a ‘no-questions-asked’ refund.
  • If the transaction was unauthorised(i.e. the collection does not relate to the signed mandate), the payer can ask for a refund up to 13 monthsafter the direct debit.
UK dd scheme rules:
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
So basically, if an amount is taken that you disagree with, your bank has to return it to you.

Fyi, most UK banks are members of the SEPA CT (credit transfer) scheme. However, less UK banks are members of the SEPA direct debit scheme. This constantly changes, so worth checking with your bank, even if someone states that they’ve previously checked.
Thank you, that is reassuring.

Bip and Go worked for us on this summer's 4 week France trip.
Caen - Cote D'Azure, across the bottom then back up.
€205 , just under 2000 miles.
just have to turn the radio down to hear the 'bip' :)
I've just tried to sign up for a Bip and Go account but I got this message when I tried to submit my bank IBAN number "Your bank is not accesible for SEPA direct debits" how did you set up your payments?

Currently with Emovis but would like to include Italy

I like the Fulli tag, though I have no experience of the alternatives.

Fulli does France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

It has to be charged by international SEPA direct debit, not a credit card, but if like me you don’t like direct debits (particularly international) you can for example have a dedicated Starling account with just sufficient funds.

There is quite a lot of TAG info on the forum but unfortunately the search feature it not currently working well.
I agree with your comments about search functionality on the site. It has always been very poor at finding posts you know exist.

A better approach is to use a normal search engine instead and type the following after your search words the
site:vwcaliforniaclub.com

I've just tried to sign up for a Bip and Go account but I got this message when I tried to submit my bank IBAN number "Your bank is not accesible for SEPA direct debits" how did you set up your payments?

Currently with Emovis but would like to include Italy
If you have another bank account, try using that. SEPA direct debit is a EUR payment scheme so not all UK banks are members, but many are.
n.b. If you want to ask your bank if they are a member, you need to ask specifically about SEPA direct debit. Some UK banks are members of SEPA credit transfer, without belonging to SEPA dd.

If you have another bank account, try using that. SEPA direct debit is a EUR payment scheme so not all UK banks are members, but many are.
n.b. If you want to ask your bank if they are a member, you need to ask specifically about SEPA direct debit. Some UK banks are members of SEPA credit transfer, without belonging to SEPA dd.
Thanks, I did ask that specific question and they (Virgin Money) are not. Looks like I will have to open an another account that offers the SEPA DD.

On a recent trip last month, my Fulli badge worked through France but didn't work in Spain. Possibly becuase it was an older model of badge? Anyway - checked the https://www.fulli.com/en just now and they're offering new registrations for free, including the delivery to the UK.

Just wanted to know if there was an alternative to the Emovis Tag. Ours is out of battery and I want to consider options before committing to getting another one.

Saw an advert for Bip n Go while in France - has anyone used these tags?
Emovis supplied my Bip&Go tag which worked flawlessly in France.

Back