Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aircon not working.

C

Calibrator

VIP Member
Hello, I have 2014 SE and my aircon isn't working.
I have researched this and the advice is that you should use your a/c regularly to avoid seals drying out which leads to gas loss, which is the exact opposite to what I have been doing since owning the vehicle from new.
We use the vehicle infrequently and hardly ever put on the a/c except when the weather is scorching, so at most only 2-3 occasions each year.
I have also read that you should have your a/c checked and serviced every 2 years.
I can't find any mention of this in owner manuals/service record and I have full dealership service record but there is no mention of a/c being inspected or serviced, or am I missing something?
Would someone please enlighten me why this is?
Also, would appreciate if anyone could advise me of some simple checks I can carry out to ascertain what the fault may be?
Having read previous posts on this I am not optimistic about self diagnosis so I expect I will have to bite the bullet and take car to a (VW ?) workshop and give them a blank cheque?
Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.

Given the age your aircon canister has ran out.

Go to Halfords and get it refilled and checked.

Mine is a 2015 and I had it serviced once since I owned it.

I wouldn't bother with VW..... they will charge you £150 to tell you your aircon is not working (which you know). They will read the codes - takes 5min and charge you ££££

Kwikfit?

I leave mine on permanently. It won't pull in the compressor if the outside temperature is very low anyway. It helps with demisting not just cooling.
I haven't listened on mine but on previous cars if you turn the air con on and off, you can hear the engine note change when the compressor engages so that would at least tell you if it is being 'demanded'.
You could also see if someone local has VCDS as you can test the aircon/HVAC via that.
Do you have the climatronic or the full 2/3 zone climate control?
Could the flaps be stuck? If you use the max demist button does everything divert to the main screen, and do the face vents work.

I leave mine on permanently. It won't pull in the compressor if the outside temperature is very low anyway. It helps with demisting not just cooling.
I haven't listened on mine but on previous cars if you turn the air con on and off, you can hear the engine note change when the compressor engages so that would at least tell you if it is being 'demanded'.
You could also see if someone local has VCDS as you can test the aircon/HVAC via that.
Do you have the climatronic or the full 2/3 zone climate control?
Could the flaps be stuck? If you use the max demist button does everything divert to the main screen, and do the face vents work.
Hi, good advice re leaving a/c on. I have the basic standard a/c, don't have a max demist button.
The face vents work last time I checked.

Back