Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After a couple months of ownership, my impressions.....

christoff

christoff

BH Orange Army
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Following the purchase of my new Cali in May, I have used it for camping every weekend since. Ok, apart from one trip up to Silverstone for the BGP, I have been staying each time at Brands Hatch, with one other family trip to Normans Bay in East Sussex, with the first try out of the drive away awning!

I am so impressed with just how brilliant this vehicle is, and so suited to what I'm doing with it! I just love all the little details and design features that make staying in the Cali such an enjoyable experience! I have also had so many positive comments from other Campers, with several of them having a good look over the van, and being surprised at how much is packed into it!
Ok, so to date I have not been very adventurous yet, as I have pretty much stayed in the same place each time, and well within my comfort zone. However, it has been a great way of learning about my Cali, and most importantly getting into a system when both setting up and packing away again.

There have been a few minor things that fellow members on here have helped me with. Nothing wrong with the Cali, just me not knowing the correct way of doing something.

Unfortunately, I have managed to get a small nick on one of the support straps on the roof bellows, but it hasn't gone all the way through, and I am even more careful when lowering the roof, especially when it is windy!

I will be heading off again shortly up to my usual spot at Brands Hatch, and this weekend could present me with some new challenges, bad weather! The forecast is for heavy rain, and gale force winds, so I'm hoping that it will still be alright to sleep "up top"

Best things that I have learned from other members of this site:-

zone sleep mattress topper for the roof bed
water filling kit that attaches to the side rail
microfibre type camping towels that are just brilliant
having a place for everything in the van, so you know where it all is, almost OCD like!
remembering to remove the plastic wash bowl when boiling the kettle
and lots more that I can't think of!!

I will be out in the Cali every weekend through to September, and next year plan to do several Circuits in Europe, so hopefully by then, I will be more a experienced and seasoned Cali owner!

Happy Camping everyone!

If something large on the hob it can melt the edge of the bowl.
If only boiling the kettle use the left hob

Be careful of burning the top edge of the fridge with the right hand cooker ring if you are using a large diameter pan.

Like wise I am 2 months into ownership and loving it. Have already spent 23 nights in the van so the new smell is already beginning to fade :(.

The not so good:
i) having to get out late on a wet evening to get something out of the boot - euch
ii) trying to keep the interior reasonably clean - the light grey interior is lovely and airy but it does show the marks (especially the carpets - now covered in aftermarkets)
iii) forgetting to clip the cover down over the EHU socket and watching it flap as I hurtle down the road, knowing i am going to have to stop.
iv) not that I have used it in earnest, but when testing out the heater, it was clicking away loudly, as reported on the forums. Hope I get used to it come winter use.
v) mpg
vi) The downstairs bed even with comfort mattress was not so 'comfort' - but this has been fixed by Zonesleep, which although expensive is brilliant (note, I placed a custom order with Zonesleep, comes out a lot cheaper than the official Cali one)
vii) bought a cheapo collapsible water container for filling the tank. Completely useless - leaked and was almost impossible to hold when full, water went everywhere but in the tank:headbang . Have now forked out for the brandrup one with filler kit - it simply does the job, easily and with no leaks, etc etc.
v) having to put the key back in the ignition to operate the electric windows.

The good:
i) it's all so neat and functional.
ii) having a cuppa in the car park whilst everyone was in the queue to get out of the car parks after the Yeovilton airshow (lots of envious glances! :D)
iii) luuuuv the driving position
iv) DSG/180/4motion - all so smooth and effortless.
v) Britstops - Brilliant !! Use this most of the time then on CL EHU every 4th day.
vi) collapsible kettle / Cobb bbq / and other silicone-based kitcheny things
vii) I actually kind of like the fact that I have to press the plastic trim in next to the sliding door lock to get the door blind to close all the way down. It is a sort of human touch in an otherwise near perfect machine :embarrased
viii) The included vw front cabin blinds are easy to use and keep out the light - and not any condensation so far.
ix) Surviving all the pre ownership faffing about. "Should I, Shouldn't I?", "What if?" ,"Um it's a lot of money","Ok but new or old?","and if new, then what engine, what colour, what options?", "oh god . . . trying to find the right insurance", "and then what about all the stuff I will just have to buy to go in it" . . . Truth be told I was exhausted by the time it actually arrived - haha. But that is all in the past - phew.

Overall, these first two months have been about the feeling each day, that I don't quite know what I might end up doing or where I might end up going, but it doesn't matter 'cos I have everything I need right there with me. It's just me, the van and the world. Wonderful:thumb

Sunny

Following the purchase of my new Cali in May, I have used it for camping every weekend since. Ok, apart from one trip up to Silverstone for the BGP, I have been staying each time at Brands Hatch, with one other family trip to Normans Bay in East Sussex, with the first try out of the drive away awning!

I am so impressed with just how brilliant this vehicle is, and so suited to what I'm doing with it! I just love all the little details and design features that make staying in the Cali such an enjoyable experience! I have also had so many positive comments from other Campers, with several of them having a good look over the van, and being surprised at how much is packed into it!
Ok, so to date I have not been very adventurous yet, as I have pretty much stayed in the same place each time, and well within my comfort zone. However, it has been a great way of learning about my Cali, and most importantly getting into a system when both setting up and packing away again.

There have been a few minor things that fellow members on here have helped me with. Nothing wrong with the Cali, just me not knowing the correct way of doing something.

Unfortunately, I have managed to get a small nick on one of the support straps on the roof bellows, but it hasn't gone all the way through, and I am even more careful when lowering the roof, especially when it is windy!

I will be heading off again shortly up to my usual spot at Brands Hatch, and this weekend could present me with some new challenges, bad weather! The forecast is for heavy rain, and gale force winds, so I'm hoping that it will still be alright to sleep "up top"

having a place for everything in the van, so you know where it all is, almost OCD like!

I will be out in the Cali every weekend through to September, and next year plan to do several Circuits in Europe, so hopefully by then, I will be more a experienced and seasoned Cali owner!

Happy Camping everyone!

I too bought the water fill kit to hang from the side rail , I've never been able to find a water container with the same size outlet to fit the kit ..?
Where did you find yours ?
Thanks

I fill my tank up with a hose pipe before I leave and then keep it topped up with an empty 2l mineral water bottle and a short piece of funnel hose. However I don't use a lot of water, drink only bottled water and use disposable everything to save on washing up.

I too bought the water fill kit to hang from the side rail , I've never been able to find a water container with the same size outlet to fit the kit ..?
Where did you find yours ?
Thanks
I bought the Brandrup 15L collapsible water carrier . . . so it works perfectly with the Brandrup filling kit. Both are ridiculously expensive for bits of plastic . . . but they are quality bits of plastic and they do the job they were designed for.

I fill my tank up with a hose pipe before I leave and then keep it topped up with an empty 2l mineral water bottle and a short piece of funnel hose. However I don't use a lot of water, drink only bottled water and use disposable everything to save on washing up.

Same as you but do like a glass for wine and a crystal glass for my whisky, no ice or water. !!!!!!

John

Same as you but do like a glass for wine and a crystal glass for my whisky, no ice or water. !!!!!!

John

Snap. My wine is only ever out of a proper glass. I carry two specially, one for me and one for any guest I might meet.

Happy Camping everyone!
Hi Christoff,
As my wife and I are new to California ownership and have yet to pick up our new California, we found your experiences very interesting. We hope you have some great times in your Cali.

"vii) I actually kind of like the fact that I have to press the plastic trim in next to the sliding door lock to get the door blind to close all the way down. It is a sort of human touch in an otherwise near perfect machine "

Is this a standard feature? I have this too...

Like wise I am 2 months into ownership and loving it. Have already spent 23 nights in the van so the new smell is already beginning to fade :(.

The not so good:
i) having to get out late on a wet evening to get something out of the boot - euch
ii) trying to keep the interior reasonably clean - the light grey interior is lovely and airy but it does show the marks (especially the carpets - now covered in aftermarkets)
iii) forgetting to clip the cover down over the EHU socket and watching it flap as I hurtle down the road, knowing i am going to have to stop.
iv) not that I have used it in earnest, but when testing out the heater, it was clicking away loudly, as reported on the forums. Hope I get used to it come winter use.
v) mpg
vi) The downstairs bed even with comfort mattress was not so 'comfort' - but this has been fixed by Zonesleep, which although expensive is brilliant (note, I placed a custom order with Zonesleep, comes out a lot cheaper than the official Cali one)
vii) bought a cheapo collapsible water container for filling the tank. Completely useless - leaked and was almost impossible to hold when full, water went everywhere but in the tank:headbang . Have now forked out for the brandrup one with filler kit - it simply does the job, easily and with no leaks, etc etc.

The good:
ii) having a cuppa in the car park whilst everyone was in the queue to get out of the car parks after the Yeovilton airshow (lots of envious glances! :D)
v) Britstops - Brilliant !! Use this most of the time then on CL EHU every 4th day.
vii) I actually kind of like the fact that I have to press the plastic trim in next to the sliding door lock to get the door blind to close all the way down. It is a sort of human touch in an otherwise near perfect machine :embarrased
viii) The included vw front cabin blinds are easy to use and keep out the light - and not any condensation so far.
ix) Surviving all the pre ownership faffing about. "Should I, Shouldn't I?", "What if?" ,"Um it's a lot of money","Ok but new or old?","and if new, then what engine, what colour, what options?", "oh god . . . trying to find the right insurance", "and then what about all the stuff I will just have to buy to go in it" . . . Truth be told I was exhausted by the time it actually arrived - haha. But that is all in the past - phew.

Overall, these first two months have been about the feeling each day, that I don't quite know what I might end up doing or where I might end up going, but it doesn't matter 'cos I have everything I need right there with me. It's just me, the van and the world. Wonderful:thumb

Sunny
Summed it up perfectly!!, got ours ten days ago and just got back from our first trip away, loved it.
Too windy to test the drive away awning and Cali topper but will try again this weekend.
Can't stop smiling:)

Snap. My wine is only ever out of a proper glass. I carry two specially, one for me and one for any guest I might meet.
I had to give up on a wine glasses as kept breaking them! Paid for a horribly expensive acrylic one that I am really pleased with from John Lewis which is surprisingly thin and well made. No more emergency charity shop trips now :thumb

The not so good:
v) mpg

The good:

Sunny
Interested in your comment on the comfort mattress is that the VW Mattress that was an optional extra? If so its the same as I have - did you purchase a zone sleep to go on top of the VW mattress or instead of?

Last edited:
Had mine almost a year now but only managed odd nights until the last two weeks, we then did a two week tour of Scotland. Best things we bought were toppers, roof/mattress and levelling ramps.
Worst thing has been drinking out of tin or thermal cups, it just doesn't taste the same, since bought some proper mugs:thumb
Best vehicle I've bought in years and looking forward to more outings:D

Still looking at buying one, in your list of bad points you have put mpg? Is it that bad?

My 180 DSG 4Motion averages 30-32mpg. I drive it like a car. For a 3000Km vehicle when loaded then I think that's quit acceptable.
I also use it as my daily drive.
If I decided to drive it very economically I would probably be able to get mid to high 30's.

I bought the the Zone Sleep mattress topper for the roof bed. Along with the mattress that comes with the van it is really comfortable. I also have the additional VW mattress topper for the bottom bed, but as I have never used that bed, I couldn't tell you what it's like. Does look comfy though!

37 mpg on a return trip from Cornwall 5 up and heavy on a new 'tight" engine.

My 180 DSG 4Motion averages 30-32mpg. I drive it like a car. For a 3000Km vehicle when loaded then I think that's quit acceptable.
I also use it as my daily drive.
If I decided to drive it very economically I would probably be able to get mid to high 30's.
Having just bought a 180 dsg 4motion but have not yet collected it, I too am interested in the mpg. Your figures sound fine to me for a vehicle weighing between 2.6 and 3 tonnes and shaped like a brick.

The not so good:
v) mpg

The good:

Sunny
Brilliant and insightful list - looking forward to finding all these things out when I pick my T5 up in 7 sleeps :happy