Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adapting Cab blinds to blackout

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Has anyone tried to do anything with the cab curtains to make them block out more light? We tend to use a silver screen for better blackout and insulation but it takes up so much storage space compared with the supplied grey magnetic blinds that I'm considering sewing a blackout liner to the VW cab blinds. Hopefully it won't make it too heavy for the magnets. Anyone tried this?

I really like the look of these but worry that black will be far too hot when we're in Italy this summer:
http://www.gallantuk.com/VW_T5_Transporter_Cab_Blinds/p2271482_13394919.aspx

Our screen fits in the rear door, fits nicely into one of the folded chairs so takes up no space in the van. Try there before you get the needle and thread out.

Our screen fits in the rear door, fits nicely into one of the folded chairs so takes up no space in the van. Try there before you get the needle and thread out.
Really? We can't even get our groundsheet in the chair gap! We have a couple of kids chiars in there anyway as we really are packed to the max for longer trips but thanks for the tip!

It's the Comfortz leisure thermal windscreen cover fits no problem.

Has anyone tried to do anything with the cab curtains to make them block out more light? We tend to use a silver screen for better blackout and insulation but it takes up so much storage space compared with the supplied grey magnetic blinds that I'm considering sewing a blackout liner to the VW cab blinds. Hopefully it won't make it too heavy for the magnets. Anyone tried this?

I really like the look of these but worry that black will be far too hot when we're in Italy this summer:
http://www.gallantuk.com/VW_T5_Transporter_Cab_Blinds/p2271482_13394919.aspx

I am considering doing the same, just watch out for increased weight. Blackout material is available from Dunelm mill shops, When sewing it tends to clog needles. Suggest you try pining some to the current material and see how it goes. You could also try sewing velcro to exiting material and the new lining then you can take it on and off. You will also need a extra strip to attach to the velcro on the exiting curtain when not in use so it does not collect dirt or damage van or attach to random things. No idea how to deal with the roller binds in my beach as no room to add any material and I think it would jam. I am currently modifying a pair of curtains lined with blackout materiel by adding eyes and suckers for the front windscreen. Worked on the side windows of my car but the windscreen may be to big. Now on 2nd protoype. Splitting it into 2 may work.

So we have just fitted the velcro for the brandrup isolite outdoor screen and very pleased with it. Nice tight fit, blacks out the windscreen and concertinas up to fit in the tailgate compartment with the chairs so nicely tucked out of the way and gives more reflective protection for summer use.

brandrup silver screen.jpg

I think I might iron some blackout fabric to the side curtains using some wonderweb first and see how it works out. At least I can easily remove it if the weight is too heavy and it would be easy to then sew it on to make more permanent if it worked out well. Just need to get to dunelm to see what they have. If not I have some little magnets left from a previous curtain project on our caravelle so might just use the existing curtains as a template to make something from only blackout fabric with magnets in the edge seams

So we have just fitted the velcro for the brandrup isolite outdoor screen and very pleased with it. Nice tight fit, blacks out the windscreen and concertinas up to fit in the tailgate compartment with the chairs so nicely tucked out of the way and gives more reflective protection for summer use.

View attachment 11715

I think I might iron some blackout fabric to the side curtains using some wonderweb first and see how it works out. At least I can easily remove it if the weight is too heavy and it would be easy to then sew it on to make more permanent if it worked out well. Just need to get to dunelm to see what they have. If not I have some little magnets left from a previous curtain project on our caravelle so might just use the existing curtains as a template to make something from only blackout fabric with magnets in the edge seams

I pined a old piece of blackout fabric attached to another piece of material so 2 x the weight of blackout to my side curtain and it held on the magnets. I have a look at the brandrup isolite outdoor screen if my attempt at making one does not work. Neat place for storage I would not thought of that. Thanks.

Take a look at UK Custom Covers, I got the external cover ÂŁ26.99 it packs down small and its a good frost cover too!

Steve.

Today I picked up some blackout fabric I managed to get for free from a local selling site. I cut the blackout material to roughly 1 inch bigger than the blind and ironed the fabric following the shape along the seam. I used wonderweb to stick it on for now to see how it held up and it was fine although I made sure the magnets were not covered by the lining fabric.

blinds balckout1.jpg

Just learn from my mistakes and don't iron the trim as it melts very easily!! I was so busy trying to get the wonderweb to stick I hadn't noticed the rear of the iron melting away the fabric.

blinds balckout2.jpg

Anyway, did them pretty roughly but actually look quite good in situ so I'm pleased with the results. I will probably run the sewing machine round them when I can be bothered to make it more tidy and secure as I don't trust the wonderweb to hold long. Tested them out in direct sunlight and did what I intended to achieve. I used white blackout lining with the intention that in really hot weather I could put the white side facing out of the vehicle to reflect as much heat as possible.
blinds balckout3.jpg

blinds balckout2.jpg

Today I picked up some blackout fabric I managed to get for free from a local selling site. I cut the blackout material to roughly 1 inch bigger than the blind and ironed the fabric following the shape along the seam. I used wonderweb to stick it on for now to see how it held up and it was fine although I made sure the magnets were not covered by the lining fabric.

View attachment 11754

Just learn from my mistakes and don't iron the trim as it melts very easily!! I was so busy trying to get the wonderweb to stick I hadn't noticed the rear of the iron melting away the fabric.

View attachment 11755

Anyway, did them pretty roughly but actually look quite good in situ so I'm pleased with the results. I will probably run the sewing machine round them when I can be bothered to make it more tidy and secure as I don't trust the wonderweb to hold long. Tested them out in direct sunlight and did what I intended to achieve. I used white blackout lining with the intention that in really hot weather I could put the white side facing out of the vehicle to reflect as much heat as possible.
View attachment 11756

View attachment 11757

Well done I will do the same as planning to take my van to Spain. My internal very large windscreen shield with suckers works but is very big so takes a while to put on and off. I wanted one inside as I will be leaving the van unattened on the road as I am going to an apartment and one on the outside may get stollen. Also I am only 5ft tall and I do not think I would be able to put on an outside one.

Well done I will do the same as planning to take my van to Spain. My internal very large windscreen shield with suckers works but is very big so takes a while to put on and off. I wanted one inside as I will be leaving the van unattened on the road as I am going to an apartment and one on the outside may get stollen. Also I am only 5ft tall and I do not think I would be able to put on an outside one.
I'm 5'3 and don't have any problem putting external screen on.

Finally dug out my ancient sewing machine. It was really easy to sew the fabrics together to make it more permanent as the trim on the blind gives a nice straight edge to follow. So pleased I might have to try to do the same on the windscreen blind.

IMG_20160225_114815.jpg IMG_20160225_115044.jpg

IMG_20160225_114838.jpg

We at QTMDirect now make thermal, reflective blinds. Simply push on with suckers without needing to wet them. We are looking at supplying a full set for all windows and are willing to provide a set free if someone can do us some paper templates for the windows in the middle and rear sections.
SIDE-ANGLE-OF-JEEP-WITH-SCREEN-DOOR-CLOSED.jpg

We at QTMDirect now make thermal, reflective blinds. Simply push on with suckers without needing to wet them. We are looking at supplying a full set for all windows and are willing to provide a set free if someone can do us some paper templates for the windows in the middle and rear sections.
SIDE-ANGLE-OF-JEEP-WITH-SCREEN-DOOR-CLOSED.jpg
Hi,
More than happy to assist

In my previous T5 conversion I used Kiravans blackout blinds with suckers - same idea as QTM variant and reversible (if you could be bothered) between fabric/silver facing in or out. Made a HUGE difference compared to the flimsy black curtains we had in terms of blacked-out-ness, retained warmth inside the van overnight and surprisingly softened external noise.

The standard California roller blinds are good, but I'm glad I kept my previous blinds for the windscreen & front windows as the supplied fronts with the Beach are 'a bit meh'.

Back