Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A pillar water leak

NeillyG

NeillyG

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Evening all,
The last month or so any time there has been heavy rain I am getting water coming in the A pillars. The fabric above the plastic gets soaked and the water drips out of the handles and fills up the cup holders. Over night the cup holder can end up full if it’s been really wet. If the vans sloping slightly to one side then it’s that side that has the issue. Obviously there must be water getting in higher up. Anyone else had this issue. Hoping it’s not a difficult fix. I’ve been waiting 9 months for a new step and sink. Got lots of trips planned so don’t want the van off the road while they try to fix it but also don’t want some sort of water or mould issue longer term.

IMG_5836.jpeg

Have you checked the roof drains aren’t blocked?

Evening all,
The last month or so any time there has been heavy rain I am getting water coming in the A pillars. The fabric above the plastic gets soaked and the water drips out of the handles and fills up the cup holders. Over night the cup holder can end up full if it’s been really wet. If the vans sloping slightly to one side then it’s that side that has the issue. Obviously there must be water getting in higher up. Anyone else had this issue. Hoping it’s not a difficult fix. I’ve been waiting 9 months for a new step and sink. Got lots of trips planned so don’t want the van off the road while they try to fix it but also don’t want some sort of water or mould issue longer term.

View attachment 121134
Likely it’s the high level rear brake light. There is a recall on it.
94r4 I believe.

I wondered if it was the aerial at the front. No sign of water getting in anywhere further back. I felt up in at the insulation infront of the top shelf and it was either a bit damp or just cold. Other than the step most things have been behaving pretty well for the last year. I still can’t understand why the step is such an issue. I see so many other vans with the same or similar step with no issues. Mine is totally unpredictable. Never fully works but sometimes it puts on a half arsed show for a few days. Usually when you don’t need it then nothing when you do. Is it a software issue? Hoping step 3 will be better but the second only worked for 6 weeks.

I wondered if it was the aerial at the front. No sign of water getting in anywhere further back. I felt up in at the insulation infront of the top shelf and it was either a bit damp or just cold. Other than the step most things have been behaving pretty well for the last year. I still can’t understand why the step is such an issue. I see so many other vans with the same or similar step with no issues. Mine is totally unpredictable. Never fully works but sometimes it puts on a half arsed show for a few days. Usually when you don’t need it then nothing when you do. Is it a software issue? Hoping step 3 will be better but the second only worked for 6 weeks.
There’s a new software update for the step too. Then main issue with the step is vw trying to control it via their panel, most other motorhomes/campervans just have a simple, on off switch for the step.

Evening all,

View attachment 121134
Do you have a white roof?

Heeft u gecontroleerd of de dakafvoeren niet verstopt zijn?
Ik had hetzelfde met mijn GC680. Ik heb met doorzichtig all weather 3M plakband het 3e remlicht rondom afgeplakt. Het probleem is daarmee verholpen.

Ik had hetzelfde met mijn GC680. Ik heb met doorzichtig all weather 3M plakband het 3e remlicht rondom afgeplakt. Het probleem is daarmee verholpen.
So the water was tracking from the rear brake light.
My other issue I have is the little recess under the chemical toilet it always filled with water. Seems to be water rather than wee wee. Is this a poor water seal on the hatch or coming from elsewhere?

More likly the frame around the external hatch door not flush with the body and not sealed

It could be a loose water hose connection to the toilet flush it goes to a small pump then to the flush ours leaked there

So the water was tracking from the rear brake light.
My other issue I have is the little recess under the chemical toilet it always filled with water. Seems to be water rather than wee wee. Is this a poor water seal on the hatch or coming from elsewhere?
The “water tracking from rear brake light” was actually meant as a question as to whether that had been the case with m.terlouw04 rather than me finding the source of mine.
Leaking again with the rain. Will call the garage tomorrow see if they can investigate. Will try and get brake light changed and software update done at the same time.

Your leak could be the bonding sealant between the GRP extended roof and the actual metal roof, apparently common In white roofs with white sealant.

Your leak could be the bonding sealant between the GRP extended roof and the actual metal roof, apparently common In white roofs with white sealant.
It does seem to be getting worse quite quickly. Checked there and cup holder full and water also dripping out bottom of dash as well. Starting to make me concerned about water damage and timescale to fix. Might need to get a cover in the short term.
Is this an easy fix? I see from previous posts it has been repaired under warranty.
Hoping to get sorted soon to avoid water damage or hope the weather picks up.

Last edited:
It should be for the dealership under warranty as they will have the correct sealant. As not any old sealant will do.

I got a cover and attempted to put it on single handed in a blustery wind. Gave up. However while up there I checked the sealant and there was a hole. The sealant is degrading. Can basically rub it away with finger. Can’t get van in until May so I put a bit of clear silicone over the hole and seems to have stopped the water getting in. Thank goodness as it’s been awful weather. Hopefully they will replace the full seal with something a bit more robust and stain resistant.

IMG_5958.jpeg

I got a cover and attempted to put it on single handed in a blustery wind. Gave up. However while up there I checked the sealant and there was a hole. The sealant is degrading. Can basically rub it away with finger. Can’t get van in until May so I put a bit of clear silicone over the hole and seems to have stopped the water getting in. Thank goodness as it’s been awful weather. Hopefully they will replace the full seal with something a bit more robust and stain resistant.

View attachment 121769
Good luck hope all goes wel.

We had this occur on a trip in the Baltics- we ended up sealing with Duct Tape until we got home and could get it fixed. Our van was out of warranty so we followed some great online instructions for fixing ourselves and this issue was resolved. Our water did not make it to the pillar, but was in the upper cabinets above the bed and dripping onto the bed- you may want to check these areas for any water and get it dried as quickly as possible to avoid any damage.

Back