Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A fortnight at Easter - your recommendations please!

RobertCalifornia

RobertCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Having just taken the hit of increased car insurance, tax and the first MOT, I want to get more value out of the California, so am thinking of taking a fortnight at Easter for an extended trip.

We're based in South Wales, have two kids (11 and 9), like cycling, walking, paddleboarding and nature.

I like driving the van so don't mind long distances, but the kids not so much. And we don't tend to like moving on to a new location every night - but prefer finding somewhere good and staying for at least a few days, then moving on for a similar length of time. Or finding a good central base and staying there for a prolonged period and driving out for day trips.

What would you do?

Mediterranean coast, North Spain. Should be 20 degrees by Easter.
I find the end destination dictates how long the kids are prepared to drive. This time of year Scotland would be a no but Spain would be a yes from them.

I would recommend Pembrokeshire, but maybe a bit close to home for you.
Thanks @Ch1pbutty. Yes - we do love going there, and often head down to St David's at Easter as my parents have a static nearby which is a bit more resilient to terrible weather than the California. We're not desperately seeking sun, but the weather is a bit of a consideration.

Somerset / Exmoor is nice

Mediterranean coast, North Spain. Should be 20 degrees by Easter.
I find the end destination dictates how long the kids are prepared to drive. This time of year Scotland would be a no but Spain would be a yes from them.
Now that's put the cat among the chickens @andyinluton. Wasn't thinking I could get away with that long a drive, but 20 degrees sounds appealing (at least to me and the kids - my wife is less enthusiastic!). Would be very annoying if you drove that far and the weather was rubbish though!

Somerset / Exmoor is nice
Any particular locations/sites you'd recommend, @Meoncoast? It is quite close to us (we're on the coast and it is only about 20 miles as the crow flies) but also hard to get to, so we often rule it out.

Any particular locations/sites you'd recommend, @Meoncoast? It is quite close to us (we're on the coast and it is only about 20 miles as the crow flies) but also hard to get to, so we often rule it out.
stayed a couple of nights near Lynton last May. Great site with stunning views here

Lots to do in the area.

North Devon is great too.

There is both a Camping Club and a Caravan Motor Home Club site at Minehead. Would recommend the CMHC site at Dulverton on Exmoor.

Golfe du Morbihan, Southern Brittany. Not scorching in April but average 15⁰C+. Walled city of Vannes, inland sea with sheltered water and ferry trips to many islands. 100 miles from St Malo / Roscoff ferries. Huge stretch of ocean coast and fairly flat. La Roche Bernard on River Vilaine, 30 miles east, worth a trip or Lorient, 30 miles west with U boat museum and large estuary with great beaches.

That looks excellent @temporarysecretary! What time of year did you go? Would it be miserable if it rained a lot?

Camping with 2 kids in the rain is always miserable!

We went in July to be fair but I always camp in April and usually just get lucky with the weather. I'll be heading to Northumberland this April and just crossing fingers.

Dorset and Hampshire. Weymouth Sealife centre and crazy sand place are fun. Corfe/Swanage has plenty to do and see then onto the New Forest. Lots of good campsites, maybe worth a few nights in one of the ‘horrendous’ ones with an indoor pool to keep the offspring onside. pultons park is a fun day where the rides are good for all the family and no one will be sick, you could even persuade them onto a peppa pig ride to get an embarrassing photo! Think you could do 3 sites and have a good time. Lots of walking, cycling and paddling. Could finish with a day trip to Portsmouth historic dockyard which is fab (I am biased due to being involved with the renovation work on Victory and having a friend dressing up as Jane Seymour and teaching archery at the Mary Rose)

Now that's put the cat among the chickens @andyinluton. Wasn't thinking I could get away with that long a drive, but 20 degrees sounds appealing (at least to me and the kids - my wife is less enthusiastic!). Would be very annoying if you drove that far and the weather was rubbish though!
All you would really need to do is book your passage to and from the continent ahead of time. With the California you have all the flexibility you need to head anywhere along the Mediterranean coast where the weather is good.

Having just taken the hit of increased car insurance, tax and the first MOT, I want to get more value out of the California, so am thinking of taking a fortnight at Easter for an extended trip.

We're based in South Wales, have two kids (11 and 9), like cycling, walking, paddleboarding and nature.

I like driving the van so don't mind long distances, but the kids not so much. And we don't tend to like moving on to a new location every night - but prefer finding somewhere good and staying for at least a few days, then moving on for a similar length of time. Or finding a good central base and staying there for a prolonged period and driving out for day trips.

What would you do?
Have you visited the caves at Dan-yr-Ogof? There is a campsite https://www.showcaves.co.uk/

Get the ferry from Plymouth or Portsmouth the Bilbao/Santander

Why not try the Llyn Peninsula ? Lovely beaches, and a nice drive from where you are. We stayed at a private (farm) site in Llanbedrog called Bolymynnd. It’s mostly grass pitches which are large, all with power, and facilities are lovely, modern and clean. You can walk to the beach.

bolmynydd.co.uk