Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

30% increase in 30 days - Are OEM brakes and a dealer replacement really worth it

Mine has Brembo apart from the rear discs at 53k. £180 (340mm big brake on the front) and a few hours. Dont forget the 7mm
Quite surprised that most front disc kits don’t come with the “stretch” fit new bolts as the Caliper cradle fixing bolts are not to be reused.

Last edited:
Arms.... Breeze told me stretch so add £20 for 8 bolts (front and rear caliper arms)

My dealer quoted me £398 inc Vat, Parts and Labour to replace front discs and pads on the 8th December 2022

Christmas then wiped me out financially (think 3 kids), so I delayed the work until January…….my mistake

Apparently parts and labour costs have risen 35% and they now want me to pay £538

Is this reasonable and a reflection of what you are all paying?

Now the local garage comes in at £410…….but should I fear their non OEM parts?

Advice appreciated but not if you suggest I do the work myself, whilst it may be an easy job to some I would certainly bodge it
£538 is what I’m about to be charged by Listers Droitwich. It’s there for service and MOT under service plan, rear discs 90% worn at 34,000 miles, 6,000 of which are under my ownership. If I had time I’d look to get it done elsewhere, but sadly not :(

£538 is what I’m about to be charged by Listers Droitwich. It’s there for service and MOT under service plan, rear discs 90% worn at 34,000 miles, 6,000 of which are under my ownership. If I had time I’d look to get it done elsewhere, but sadly not :(
That price for rear discs? Having a laugh. About 90min work outside on the drive (car hoist would be much sweeter) Did mine on the spur of the moment over Chistmas.

That price for rear discs? Having a laugh. About 90min work outside on the drive (car hoist would be much sweeter) Did mine on the spur of the moment over Chistmas.
Rear discs and pads. £512 roughly is what I was charged..

I know, my rear end got a good spanking! :)

it was just before they MOT’d it, all had to be Road legal this weekend and fully useable from this weekend. At least they didn’t pick up on the windscreen chip like I feared they might….

Last edited:
Crumbs........

I got a full set of Padgid pads and disks for
£33 per front disk
£28 front pads
£22 per rear disk
£30 rear pads

under £170 for a full set of Coated Discs and Padgid pads from Halfords, (sale) shoved em in the garage until needed.

Had the front disks & pads changed by my local Mechanic the other day £100 Labour ! (It was too cold for me to be crawling around outside).
The new set is like night and day compared to the old set.

rear set & pads still in the garage when needed.

I just don’t get why people buy OEM brakes and have the most expensive garage they can find to fit them .
good branded After market Brakes Brembo, ATE, Padgid, buy em when on sale (proper sale) keep them until needed.

similarly VW charge £100 to change thd break fluid , a proper mechanic will do it for £20 .

I went there as when I bought my used Cali it had 18 months of the all in plan remaining, not necessarily out of choice.

Back