Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

204 no longer an option?

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Am I imagining this or has the 204 dsg now disappeared altogether as a new vehicle option? I know the 4 motion disappeared a while ago, but the 204 no longer appears to be an option on the online configurator.

WOW. The end is nigh.

No longer available on the German site too.

What's going on?
We've got a 204 4Motion on order. Will we ever get it?
Is it now a desirable vehicle, or a dinosaur?

I received mine in September, I was also worried.

Doesn't it just come and go anyway depending on parts or getting configurations through emissions standards... It wasn't that long ago it vanished, came back as a 199, then gone again before coming back as a 204

4motion gone and now the 204 engine.
wtf is going on at Volkswagen...

What's going on?
Very desirable, take the delivery, don't let that one go.
The value has just gone up a notch.

What's going on?
You done well!
If it doesn’t come back your one should hold it’s value even more than usual!

Last edited:
Doesn't it just come and go anyway depending on parts or getting configurations through emissions standards... It wasn't that long ago it vanished, came back as a 199, then gone again before coming back as a 204
That was because of an emissions problem with the 199 which was not compliant was with the next raft of EU regulations.

VW seem to be focussing efforts on lower emissions models. They have invested a lot in ‘zero emission’ EV’s so want to promote themselves as being ‘green’ across the entire ICE & EV range.

Ford / VW partnership on the EV car (not van, this is still running) side looks to have come to an end so they will need to find more cash for EV development. Hence makes sense to focus on the better selling 150/2wd vans to maximise profit as they can streamline production, improve delivery times as they require less parts.

Also, many people have cancelled Buzz orders, so their forecasted sales might well have dropped. Delivery time is key especially for EV’s where the market changes so quickly, people are not willing to wait for outdated tech as it’s likely that the competition will have come out with something better, cheaper, longer range etc by the time yours is delivered which will in turn impact 2nd hand prices.

That said above is great for used Cali’s as they will become the last ICE campers..future classics!

Last edited:
I'd favour the view that the T6.1 production end is becoming imminent and the order book is full for 204 models of any description (vans included) until that point in time.
This will lead to no Cali 6.1 being available in the next few months.

204 with DSG is still on the French site configurator as I write

Possibly the RHD ones to go off first.

Might explain fast delivery currently to UK.

I'd favour the view that the T6.1 production end is becoming imminent and the order book is full for 204 models of any description (vans included) until that point in time.
This will lead to no Cali 6.1 being available in the next few months.
Hopefully not unless of course the T7 multivan is about to land as a California.

Hopefully not unless of course the T7 multivan is about to land as a California.
The joint VW/Ford van looks favourite or just the Grand Cali will remain,,,unlikely due to the potential market.

That T7 ain't gonna win any beauty contests. And its based on the MQB platform which means the front seating is positioned way back along the chassis, eating into valuable living space.

Belgian website currently offers only 2 drivetrains, both not 4motion, when I looked last week:
- 150 manual
- 204 DSG
Very limited choice...

Confusingly the T7 is not an iteration of the T6 - great numbering job by VW there. As myself and many others have pointed out the Buzz interior is too small. Cali Chris demos this perfectly on his “how to sleep in a Buzz” video. Not very well would be the answer but it got all the Buzz crowd excited. What will be the replacement and when is a magic mystery tour on Google. The Ford/VW joint 1T van venture, as @B-J-G says, is favourite but details of how and when thin on the ground.

The joint VW/Ford van looks favourite or just the Grand Cali will remain,,,unlikely due to the potential market.
When we last visited our local dealership the commercial sales guy was convinced it would be based on the joint VW/Ford van. But only time will tell

Apparently gone for good. Maybe it’s partly to do with concentrating on electric vehicles and also emissions have been challenging on 204.
Prices will only go up now due to demand.

Apparently gone for good. Maybe it’s partly to do with concentrating on electric vehicles and also emissions have been challenging on 204.
Prices will only go up now due to demand.
Doesn't look like its gone for good, its back.

Back