Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2008 SE Advice

All Californias have a “ soft spongy spot “ between the front seats . There is a thick pad with cutout channels on the underside to protect wiring looms between the 2 seats. Normal.
Thanks - probably should have clarified, 'spongy spot, that 'pooled with water' when you stood on it'
But good to know thats normal, appreciated.

Thanks - probably should have clarified, 'spongy spot, that 'pooled with water' when you stood on it'
But good to know thats normal, appreciated.
Shouldn't be any water but definitely a spongy spot.

Can I ask, is this for sale in Colne, silver ? We looked at one very similar, outside was pristine and didn't look like 98k, inside was just like the above and looked 198k. Soft spongy spot between driver & passenger...we walked away. Dealer said he would ave to 'do it up before putting back out'. We ended up buying one from here, 2007, 77k and compared to your pics (and the one we saw in Colne), its pristine.I know its a case of 'you want one', but the right one will come along, and your budget, will, get you one. Good luck
Yes that was the one, drove over from York really excited based on the pictures and was really disappointed

that looks terrible!!!!!!!!!
makes me feel our 2012 Beach which is in great condition is immaculate.........and we can't seem to shift that for slightly less money!
Is yours the one in Thame? It looks really nice, just a long way for us to come and see it.

To make a comparison. We were in a thunderstorm one day, having a walk in the mountains. By the time we came back to the California, we were soaked.
Unfortunately, by the time we got to the campsite, the rear bench was almost soaked as wel, just by sitting on it, even after drying ourselves.
As a result, the rear seat looked like this:
View attachment 122979

Trying to clean it didn't really work out as I was hoping for.
So I put the fabric in the washing machine:
View attachment 122980

And after I put everything back together, now it looks again like new:
View attachment 122981

That is what I meant with: showroom state
Can I ask, how did you get the covers off ? Was it easy ? Also getting them back on ? Many thanks

I looked at a few before buying mine. The neglected ones really stood out; even older vans may have wear but you can tell they have been well looked after by their previous owners.

Personally, based on the pics I wouldn’t touch that one with a barge pole, plenty of better vans around.

Mine is 2008 SE. 94k serviced as per schedule, looked after and really cared for. No mould even though it spends all of its life on the street. No rips in seats, in fact they look like brand new under the covers. Yes, plenty has been replaced, turbo, brakes, egr and much more. Lots of money spent to keep it as good as possible. If I advertised it I think the first people to view would look at the service history, the money spent, the mot history and then the general condition and snap it up.
I’d leave this one if I were you. There will always be others.

Can I ask, how did you get the covers off ? Was it easy ? Also getting them back on ? Many thanks