Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your first tent ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I was accused of having "first world problems" tonight, someone hearing me whinge that Alfie (my Cali to the uninitiated) can be a rather draughty place in the sub-zero beast of the east gales.

I immediately responded how I have spent life under canvas in high altitudes at -20c in gale force winds ... and started to think.

Yes, how first world :D My first tent used to be regularly pitched under East Raven Crag in Langdale, it was an Itisa Mk2 single pole mountain tent and I lived in that in all weathers.

so, go on, what was your introduction to "camping"?

First tent was a cheap play tent out of the local Wellworths which my parents put my brother and I in whilst they slept comfortably with our then baby sister in the caravan next door. It rained on that first night of our holiday and my brother and I woke up to quite a bit of water in the floor of the tent. The next day we had to go shopping to save the holiday and picked up a Eurohike 3 person tent from Millets. That was 20 years ago and I still have that tent to this day, and it still performs well.

Thinking back, that first night in a tent should have put me off camping, but strangely didn’t deter me. Perhaps it is one of the reasons I’m now in a Cali however.

First tent was a cheap play tent out of the local Wellworths which my parents put my brother and I in whilst they slept comfortably with our then baby sister in the caravan next door. It rained on that first night of our holiday and my brother and I woke up to quite a bit of water in the floor of the tent. The next day we had to go shopping to save the holiday and picked up a Eurohike 3 person tent from Millets. That was 20 years ago and I still have that tent to this day, and it still performs well.

Thinking back, that first night in a tent should have put me off camping, but strangely didn’t deter me. Perhaps it is one of the reasons I’m now in a Cali however.

I wonder how many of us started like in the wonder world of a play tent?

Mine was built by my dad, basically bits of wood from fruit crates and covered in old bed sheets, all with "HMS HERON" painted on them (Dad was in the fleet air arm :D )

I camped in a variety of tents as a kid, but I bought my first tent when I started climbing in the Pyrenees 30 years ago, a Vaude Terra Hogan 2 person. Super light and quick to set up, the exterior pole structure meant you could basically flip it open and tack it down, with both exterior and interior tents hanging as a unit and attached by hooking stretch cords over the poles. That tent took me everywhere. It was incredibly well made...once I went to sleep with my boots in the porch, and woke up to a crashing thunderstorm. I was in the middle of a lake and my boots were floating on the water a few meters away, but not a drop came into the tent. Sadly it was stolen from my house after about 10 years of making amazing memories. My current tent is a 3 person version of the same tent.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 2.31.03 AM.png

My first holidays were spent in a tent that was issued to my Dad doing service. He sewed sides to it and Mum and Dad took me camping as a baby....many years ago!
My last tent was bought in desperation to ‘get away’....I piled my sleeping bag and a few things in the car and raced for the camping shop which was soon to close. I saw one up in the shop and asked them to give me a 2 minute lesson on putting it up before they closed.
All went well...the site was almost empty so no one was there to watch my antics.
However there were one or two there and they seemed to go past my tent ‘all’ night. Each time, Dottie awoke and barked frantically. To get her to be quiet I spent most of the night walking the beach!
The tent was never used again. I bought a van....success...in bucket loads!

Tent for sale...used for one night only....!

My first experience in a tent was our family tent, I have no idea or the make but i do remember it was a massive think. Probably a 6 man family tent with two inner bedrooms. It was blue and made of very heavy material. The pole bag was too heavy for us kits on its own and the tent itself took up much of the space in the car. Putting it up was a feat of engineering. I often heard stories of how we "got it in France" though i do not believe we had ever been out of the country. To the best of my knowledge the only place that tent was ever pitched was in our back garden, but it was still a great adventure to camp out in nevertheless.

My first tent purchase, was a much less grand affair. I was homeless and living in lancashire. I used to sleep on the market stalls in Ashton-Under-Lyne, but the weather was starting to turn so i purchased a play tent for added protection. It was silver on the outside and i used to walk for miles trying to find a safe place to pitch it each night. Despite being homeless i managed to hold a job down so i always had to stay close to the town so i could walk to work, so finding a "safe place" was none to easy i can tell you. All in all it was a fairly spectacular disaster, will very little sleep over the couple of months i had it. It's demise came in quite terrifying circumstances when it was set alight with me inside my some chaps on their way home from the pub. One benefit of being scared out of your mind every night, is that i always in a ready to flee state, so i did manage to get out with my bag of worldly goods physically unscathed.

I don't know what the moral of that story is or how it shaped my future, but i don't think i would recommend camping at the side of the manchester ship canal to anyone.

1972 and a family camping holiday in the Dordogne. My three brothers and I slept in a green canvass ridge pole tent with a sewn in grey rubberised groundsheet. No sleeping mats, just in sleeping bags on the ground.

My parents shared a great big frame tent, complicated to put up, and with its own internal bedroom. They slept on military style camp beds.

My first tent was a £10 from trago mills. I thought it was the absolute best thing since sliced bread, I was 8 mins you.
My first expensive tent was a vango, can’t remember what model but I used it for a good 5 years during d of e and uni.
Now I have various hilliberg tents and a msr mother hubber but the elastic between the poles has failed so need to return it

I've been camping in a tent most of my life and love the mountains, can't beat waking up to a sunrise with the clouds below you.
My first 'real' tent was a Wild Country/Terra Nova Quasar purchased in the 1980s and still going strong today. This is the Quasar camped near Mt.Cook in New Zealand back in 2003.

F1010040.jpg

I've been camping in a tent most of my life and love the mountains, can't beat waking up to a sunrise with the clouds below you.
My first 'real' tent was a Wild Country/Terra Nova Quasar purchased in the 1980s and still going strong today. This is the Quasar camped near Mt.Cook in New Zealand back in 2003.

View attachment 73693

Beautiful,

but I can't say that I'm jealous any longer :) I've got soft with old age ....

My first tent was a £10 from trago mills. I thought it was the absolute best thing since sliced bread, I was 8 mins you.
My first expensive tent was a vango, can’t remember what model but I used it for a good 5 years during d of e and uni.
Now I have various hilliberg tents and a msr mother hubber but the elastic between the poles has failed so need to return it

Is trago mills still going?

View attachment 73693
+1 for the Wild Country brand. Had a Supernova first which lasted years on climbing trips (shown near Lochnagar) subsequently replaced by a Terra Nova Hyperspace which is still going strong. First tent was a crappy little twin pole single skin effort from Army & Navy. It leaked but I went everywhere in it as a teenager and camped alongside the family T2 camper many a time.

My first camping experience was in the late 60s when a work colleague loaned us (wife and I) his 2 man tent which covered a ground area of about seven feet by four feet six inches and about three feet high. He hadn't used it for a while and suggested that it needed waterproofing. During the course of doing this, I ricked my back and was immobile for three days. Nevertheless, we set off for Cornwall in our trusty Morris 1100 complete with tent, sleeping bag and camping gaz stove plus frying pan looking forward to a wonderful holiday.
No such luck. On the first night there was a violent thunderstorm and we could feel the raindrops vaporising after splashing on the canvas, but we felt O.K. inside the tent. In the morning we looked out to find that we were surrounded by water and all the other campers had gone (to the farmer's barn). By sheer good fortune we had chosen to pitch on a mound that was higher than the surrounding area. The farmer thought that we were very experienced and had carefully chosen our spot!
The rest of the holiday was much better and we resolved to buy our own tent, eventually purchasing a second hand three room frame tent. This was a disaster and after another rain sodden holiday almost resulting in divorce, that tent was ditched for a caravan.

+1 for the Wild Country brand. Had a Supernova first which lasted years on climbing trips (shown near Lochnagar) subsequently replaced by a Terra Nova Hyperspace which is still going strong. First tent was a crappy little twin pole single skin effort from Army & Navy. It leaked but I went everywhere in it as a teenager and camped alongside the family T2 camper many a time.
Highest and coldest was Everest Base Camp in 2013. Stayed for several nights as part of a medical expedition researching high altitude hypoxia. We did measured runs on static bikes wired up to machines. I measured night time temperature down to -26C one night. Base camp is on the Khumbu glacier and it creaks and pops underneath you all night.

6E5AE62B-279C-4B3A-9655-501E00986F9B.jpeg

AA31F95D-E4CE-4247-BEC9-CCC59C2BB909.jpeg

I began with a Saunders Backpacker II, bought in 1980 while still at school as I progressed from Youth Hostelling trips to genuine wild camping in the hills. In '83 I 'upgraded' to a Wild Country Quasar as by then I was camping up high in winter too. I've had several more lightweight tents over the years, mostly from Wild Country/Terra Nova and Hilleberg, but never anything larger than the Quasar... until the van in 2018!

Highest and coldest was Everest Base Camp in 2013. Stayed for several nights as part of a medical expedition researching high altitude hypoxia. We did measured runs on static bikes wired up to machines. I measured night time temperature down to -26C one night. Base camp is on the Khumbu glacier and it creaks and pops underneath you all night.

View attachment 73707

View attachment 73708

Brings back "wonderful".... (i.e. terrifying) memories of the Khumbu icefall :)

Glorious pics!

Is trago mills still going?
Certainly is, my first tent was a family frame tent with 3 inner double bedrooms and bright orange canvas. I swear it was bigger then our garage and took hours to erect.

First tent when we got married was a 2 man Ridge then a larger 4 man until our daughter was born then Mrs K insisted on a trailer tent which we had a couple of then went for a folding camper then a van conversion and then my beloved Cali. Now back with the folding camper. :(

I began with a Saunders Backpacker II, bought in 1980 while still at school as I progressed from Youth Hostelling trips to genuine wild camping in the hills. In '83 I 'upgraded' to a Wild Country Quasar as by then I was camping up high in winter too. I've had several more lightweight tents over the years, mostly from Wild Country/Terra Nova and Hilleberg, but never anything larger than the Quasar... until the van in 2018!
I was taken camping every year by my parents from the time I was born. My earliest memory is of camping on Dartmoor in a tiny tent during a violent thunderstorm.

As our family grew, so did the size of our family tents. Abandoning an old wartime canvas ridge tent, we moved to different Quimper frame tents. And these family camping trips were the only holidays I knew.

After Mrs 5i1ver8ack and I were married, we bought a damaged trailer tent from a family friend. Used once, but put away damp and damaged. Stored for four years it cost us £500... including all contents and accessories. We used it (a lot!!) until just a few years ago when we sold it, without contents and accessories for £120 on eBay.

The first serious tent of my own was a Saunders Backpacker II. It’s still here somewhere, complete with a repaired 18 inch gash in the outer. I used to take it to Glenbrittle on Skye for forays onto the Cuillins. It was used by Mrs 5i1ver8ack and I for weekends away (not quite enough room for two). Eventually it was used by our son.

As more children came along, we stopped using the trailer tent for every holiday, and started using smaller tents again. We began using a Terra Nova Terra Firma and still use it now, although we can no longer all fit in it!

As the children grew bigger, we acquired a bulletproof Vango Force Ten which we used in conjunction with the Terra Firma. And as they grew even bigger, with the Saunders as well. The Force Ten now has patches on it where a mouse made himself at home in the storage cupboard.

Our son eventually bought his own Vango which he’s used all over Europe. One of our daughters married someone with five tents (Vango, Hilleberg and others).

A couple of years ago I saw a barely used Terra Nova Quasar on eBay and grabbed it. It’s now my favourite. But much admired by our youngest daughter who has used it even more than me!

The California and then an Eriba crept into our otherwise content camping lives as a concession to older age, a wheelchair user and year-round camping. It’s much easier to get away on a whim at any time of the year. And much easier for a wheelchair user to stay warm and comfortable.

But my first love was tent camping and (shock, horror) is still to this day. Pandemic lockdown restrictions permitting, my son, son in law and three of my grandsons have a tent camping trip booked for later this year.

Were it not for the pandemic, we’d be enjoying another trip to Dartmoor. But for that trip, the rules are different..... no tents allowed!

E59E0C75-6ADB-40CC-BA19-F39AFF8C83D6.jpeg

Our youngest daughter and I last October.

The next tent is going to be the most expensive yet - an Outdoor Revolution Movielite T4-E PC driveaway awning to stick on the side of the Cali. How times have changed! :)

We're real softies compared to most of the posts here. My first family camping trip was to France in the mid '60s, in a large, blue, two bedroom frame tent. My dad was so uncomfortable he never used it again. Penney and I borrowed it from time to time, to use with our first car, a matching blue Vauxhall Chevette, and it went with us on a few European trips in the seventies. Our little Fiat x1/9 in the early '80's was far too small to carry it, so we bought a small lightweight two person ridge tent which neatly went in the front boot. The small person in front of the tent in the first picture is my little bro1966.jpg1977.jpg1980-a.jpeg1980-b.jpeg

I remember being a trendy young thing in 1981 London working at Vogue Magazine having just left the London College of Fashion. My boyfriend invited me away for a weekend in Brighton on his motorbike. I couldn’t understand why he didn’t want to put his tent up until after dark until I saw it....it was a children’s cream canvas play tent! And our feet stuck out the end. Needless to say we dismantled the tent before anyone else stirred and were waiting outside the camping shop at 9am cue first proper tent purchase.

Don’t have it now but am the proud owner of 4 tents and a Cali! Childhood spent in a Bailey caravan which my mother hated with a vengeance! But we did get to travel to France and Spain which was deemed very exotic at the time (and a very wet 3 weeks round Scottish golf courses).

First and only tent had no ground sheet nor a fly sheet. The rain came in from the top and a river flowed down the middle, but we did pass our D of E Gold expedition on Dartmoor! We must have been tough. Never had any desire to return to a tent!

Back