Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

wrong gear stalling

G

gandalfthegrey

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all.

I've had a few scary moments and wondered if anyone else has had the same issue. 2013 vw beach manual.
If I'm rolling through a roundabout and believe I have changed down to 3rd. However ove accidently put it in 5th. The van stalls. Steering locks and manual restart light comes on. I'm left travelling at quite a speed in a direction I don't want to go and everyone else on the road has no idea what's occurred.
I then have to come to a stop in the middle of the road while I restart.

Now I understand this is not the best. Its never a problem I've had before.

Anyone else suffered a similar thing?

Cheers.

Your steering should never lock with the key in the ignition. If it does vw would have a class action law suit going on of monumental proportions.

More likely the power assistance of your steering doesn't work with the engine stalled.

You might need to have your gear selector rigged.

Hi all.

I've had a few scary moments and wondered if anyone else has had the same issue. 2013 vw beach manual.
If I'm rolling through a roundabout and believe I have changed down to 3rd. However ove accidently put it in 5th. The van stalls. Steering locks and manual restart light comes on. I'm left travelling at quite a speed in a direction I don't want to go and everyone else on the road has no idea what's occurred.
I then have to come to a stop in the middle of the road while I restart.

Now I understand this is not the best. Its never a problem I've had before.

Anyone else suffered a similar thing?

Cheers.
This happens and can be quite scary. For me it used to be first to second with not enough revs. The van stalls hence no power steering and worst of all no servo for the brakes. Since I had the van remapped I don’t have that problem. There’s much more torque a lot lower down now.
Trying to be economical with the revs sometimes isn’t the best idea.

Steering shouldn’t lock, do you mean it has locked because you have turned key to far back in ignition whilst restarting, whilst turning the wheel.

If you stall whilst still rolling, quickly put in 2nd gear and pop the clutch for a bump start.