Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wouldn't swap........

D

Dazshep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
just got home from a day meandering through the rather expensive maze that is the NEC show. The last time we visited the show we were eagerly looking on what to buy for our expeditions and we were interested in what was new and what we would (if Bruce misbehaved) swap to.
The answer is.....nothing. After climbing in and sitting in with the occasional prod the upshot is in my Cali vision glasses is that we all still drive the best all round package. Yes there are bits of various conversions I fancy, and the jitters of the electric roof on the Cali will always be there. But the all round feel and build of Bruce for me wins especially when you factor in the price of a conversion.
The one area I have actually grown to like on my Cali is the top loading fridge and after today's visit it has been interesting to see how various converters work round the front loading version.
If anyone else has been today and have their thoughts on any swaps from convertors I would love to here them.

I did the rounds of all the main converters a few weeks ago. There are some very nice conversions out there, but nowt as goos as the Cali.

just got home from a day meandering through the rather expensive maze that is the NEC show. The last time we visited the show we were eagerly looking on what to buy for our expeditions and we were interested in what was new and what we would (if Bruce misbehaved) swap to.
The answer is.....nothing. After climbing in and sitting in with the occasional prod the upshot is in my Cali vision glasses is that we all still drive the best all round package. Yes there are bits of various conversions I fancy, and the jitters of the electric roof on the Cali will always be there. But the all round feel and build of Bruce for me wins especially when you factor in the price of a conversion.
The one area I have actually grown to like on my Cali is the top loading fridge and after today's visit it has been interesting to see how various converters work round the front loading version.
If anyone else has been today and have their thoughts on any swaps from convertors I would love to here them.
I wouldn't worry too much about the electric roof.....
I used to do that too, but in reality it's not too complicated ,its just hydraulic.... simple straightforward oil, pump and pressure... I have a 1993 golf clipper convertible and the convertible roof works the same way
This was built in 1993 and has never been touched since and it's still faultless
I shouldn't be saying that!
I may be tempting fate !

I wouldn't worry too much about the electric roof.....
I used to do that too, but in reality it's not too complicated ,its just hydraulic.... simple straightforward oil, pump and pressure... I have a 1993 golf clipper convertible and the convertible roof works the same way
This was built in 1993 and has never been touched since and it's still faultless
I shouldn't be saying that!
I may be tempting fate !
You really shouldn't tempt fate with such a cool car!! After an early worry the roof has been fine.......however I am going out later this week for a wee trip...talking of tempting fate

I liked the show.some very nice vans on display. As to the vw conversions to be seen. Well I liked the colours of the seats over that awful moonstone anyday. But apart from that little else. But the best bit was watching the knife sellers etc trying to sale their magic knifes, the only thing magic about them was if they could cut anything more then fruit. F

I find 90% of conversions very rough and shoddy. People seem to be mesmerised by nice kitchen units and big wheels.
:headbang

I find 90% of conversions very rough and shoddy. People seem to be mesmerised by nice kitchen units and big wheels.
:headbang
The rear seat is also often high, feet dangling problem for most and head on roof lining for anyone over 5' 10".

The rear seat is also often high, feet dangling problem for most and head on roof lining for anyone over 5' 10".

Sounds like a RIBB bed seat.
Had to sit on once for 2hrs, possibly the worst travel time I’ve ever experienced.
I’m about 5,10 and my feet couldn’t quite reach the floor comfortably. Then the seat belt was uncomfortable and the seat had absolutely no support.
Sleeping wasn’t to bad, but still needed a topper.

Rather than the moans about the California I am just back from a short trip and the comments from MH owners about the California made me smile. To a man they were impressed with the leather re-trim and amazed that I could use a microwave in the rear (where the MP stores chairs!)
I just wish more owners looked at the positives. My California has no squeaks and runs quiet and smooth and no Merc V class I have driven was any better. Yesterday when visiting Kinlochewe the heater was great for drying me out!calikinlochewe.JPG

What a Fantastic Pic!