Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World War One Tour Suggestions (start Paris, finish Amsterdam)

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all

In mid-August my wife and I have a week to drive from Paris to Amsterdam (for ferry back to UK) and want to base the trip around visiting World War 1 battlefields, with maybe a great little Belgian city thrown in too.

I have the wonderful World War 1 Battlefields book published by Bradt to help, but I welcome all and any suggestions for sites to visit, places to stay the night Iaires or campsites.

We would probably stay a max of two nights in each place, and only one night would probably be preferred so we see more of France and Belgium.

Currently thinking about heading from Paris due east to Verdun and then winding out way up the front from there. We've never done this kind of historic trip, and it may be a one-off (with the plan of a World War 2 one in a few years).

Thanks in advance for your wonderful help!

Simon and Angela

Perhaps @GrannyJen could help here?? Good luck with your trip.

Hi @SimonMc

I went to the Somme region at Easter this year. I went with my children and we stayed near Le Crotoy on the french coast - found a wonderful campsite called Les Marguerites.

We had a very memorable afternoon visiting the following, both left profound impressions on us:

The museum of the Somme at Albert was well worth a visit.
We also visited the Lochnagar Crater that is nearby which I'd strongly recommend too.

Thiepval Memorial is also near Albert.

Hi all

In mid-August my wife and I have a week to drive from Paris to Amsterdam (for ferry back to UK) and want to base the trip around visiting World War 1 battlefields, with maybe a great little Belgian city thrown in too.

I have the wonderful World War 1 Battlefields book published by Bradt to help, but I welcome all and any suggestions for sites to visit, places to stay the night Iaires or campsites.

We would probably stay a max of two nights in each place, and only one night would probably be preferred so we see more of France and Belgium.

Currently thinking about heading from Paris due east to Verdun and then winding out way up the front from there. We've never done this kind of historic trip, and it may be a one-off (with the plan of a World War 2 one in a few years).

Thanks in advance for your wonderful help!

Simon and Angela

The first world war is a vast subject, There are over 400 cemeteries and monuments in the Somme region alone, an area the size of a small English county. A week will only scratch the surface so what I always recommend is some form of theme to link everything together, otherwise you will go into sensory overload.

A good place to base yourself is in the Arras region. From their the principal Somme, Mons, Vimy Ridge, and Messines battlefields can be linked. There is also an Aire, a busy Aire, in Arras. The town itself was the scene of fierce fighting from the race to the Sea in October 1914 to the St George and Michael offensives of April 1918.

Try a first and last link.

San Symphorien Cemetry just outside Mons is beautiful. Originally German it holds graves of both sides and the principal monument is German. There also lies the grave of the first British fatality, corporal John Parr, the last British fatality, private George Elliston, is opposite and next to them both the first VC, Lieutenant Maurice Dease. http://www.grannygoescamping.co.uk/274380329

Then to 1916: The Somme battlefield. A must see is the Thiepval memorial, 73,000 names of the missing, those for whom no remains could be identified, no grave could be marked. Have a look at the Ulster memorial nearby, the 36th Ulsters who like so many were decimated on the first day. The Australian memorial is also nearby Thiepval, from there you get a brilliant idea of the wide, open slope commonwealth and French troops had to climb to reach German fortifications. Just down the road is the tank memorial marking the Fleurs-courcelette line where tanks were deployed for the first time in the war.

By now to do all of that, plus nearby to the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge, the the tunnels of Arras, the Aubers ridge and the Newfoundland park would have taken you the best part of 4-5 days. Move on then to Ypres.

The menin gate, another vast monument to the missing where the last post is played every evening at 8pm. The largest commonwealth cemetery, Tyne Cot, a really must see, is near paschendale. Stand there and look at the waves of headstones and it really drives home the slaughter in such a small space that so defined WW1. Caterpillar ridge just outside Ypres is lovely if sombre. There are lots of commercial places, bunkers and trenches collected around Ypres and Kemmel, but try to visit Essex road cemetery near Dixsmuide, it was where Lt.Col John Macrae, a Canadian MO, wrote Flanders fields and some of the original shelters used as a Casualty clearing station are accessible.

Arras, Albert, Ypres and lots of other places all have interesting museums. Probably the one at Tyne Cot though I find the most moving.

That's a snapshot, a very small snapshot, but it will give you an overview. Both Arras and Ypres are excellent places to access the Chunnel from, being a couple of hours away. Your Ferry I Amsterdam is just a little bit further on, around 200 miles, from Ypres.

Last edited:
Do you have any relatives who took part in any of the battles or who were killed? I only ask because the line was vast and so I have focused my interest around where my maternal grandfather served and great uncles are buried, so Arras and Loos.

The Ossuary at Verdun is something. There are also many Lutyens designed cemeteries. I think the one at Etaples is particularly beautiful by the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @SimonMc

I went to the Somme region at Easter this year. I went with my children and we stayed near Le Crotoy on the french coast - found a wonderful campsite called Les Marguerites.

We had a very memorable afternoon visiting the following, both left profound impressions on us:

The museum of the Somme at Albert was well worth a visit.
We also visited the Lochnagar Crater that is nearby which I'd strongly recommend too.
Thanks, we'll have a look at that.
Simon & Angela

Do you have any relatives who took part in any of the battles or who were killed? I only ask because the line was vast and so I have focused my interest around where my maternal grandfather served and great uncles are buried, so Arras and Loos.

The Ossuary at Verdun is something. There are also many Lutyens designed cemeteries. I think the one at Etaples is particularly beautiful by the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Second World War relative who was buried in the Netherlands. I may include a list this trip. No relatives that I'm aware of from WW1.

Simon.

Last edited:
The first world war is a vast subject, There are over 400 cemeteries and monuments in the Somme region alone, an area the size of a small English county. A week will only scratch the surface so what I always recommend is some form of theme to link everything together, otherwise you will go into sensory overload.

A good place to base yourself is in the Arras region. From their the principal Somme, Mons, Vimy Ridge, and Messines battlefields can be linked. There is also an Aire, a busy Aire, in Arras. The town itself was the scene of fierce fighting from the race to the Sea in October 1914 to the St George and Michael offensives of April 1918.

Try a first and last link.

San Symphorien Cemetry just outside Mons is beautiful. Originally German it holds graves of both sides and the principal monument is German. There also lies the grave of the first British fatality, corporal John Parr, the last British fatality, private George Elliston, is opposite and next to them both the first VC, Lieutenant Maurice Dease. http://www.grannygoescamping.co.uk/274380329

Then to 1916: The Somme battlefield. A must see is the Thiepval memorial, 73,000 names of the missing, those for whom no remains could be identified, no grave could be marked. Have a look at the Ulster memorial nearby, the 36th Ulsters who like so many were decimated on the first day. The Australian memorial is also nearby Thiepval, from there you get a brilliant idea of the wide, open slope commonwealth and French troops had to climb to reach German fortifications. Just down the road is the tank memorial marking the Fleurs-courcelette line where tanks were deployed for the first time in the war.

By now to do all of that, plus nearby to the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge, the the tunnels of Arras, the Aubers ridge and the Newfoundland park would have taken you the best part of 4-5 days. Move on then to Ypres.

The menin gate, another vast monument to the missing where the last post is played every evening at 8pm. The largest commonwealth cemetery, Tyne Cot, a really must see, is near paschendale. Stand there and look at the waves of headstones and it really drives home the slaughter in such a small space that so defined WW1. Caterpillar ridge just outside Ypres is lovely if sombre. There are lots of commercial places, bunkers and trenches collected around Ypres and Kemmel, but try to visit Essex road cemetery near Dixsmuide, it was where Lt.Col John Macrae, a Canadian MO, wrote Flanders fields and some of the original shelters used as a Casualty clearing station are accessible.

Arras, Albert, Ypres and lots of other places all have interesting museums. Probably the one at Tyne Cot though I find the most moving.

That's a snapshot, a very small snapshot, but it will give you an overview. Both Arras and Ypres are excellent places to access the Chunnel from, being a couple of hours away. Your Ferry I Amsterdam is just a little bit further on, around 200 miles, from Ypres.
Thanks @GrannyJen - you hammer home that fact that I'll not get to see anywhere near as much as I'd like to in such a short amount of time. Cheers for all the info, though...it'll keep me busy getting the planning done!

Regards, Simon and Angela.

Ieper/Ypres Historic Town Menin gate in the Ypres Salient. Not to be missed 8pm every evening, The Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. We will remember them.
Camping at :-
http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/ A short walk into the city centre, Auto check in if not pre-booked. Good sanitary facilities. Very pleasant site.

Ieper/Ypres Historic Town Menin gate in the Ypres Salient. Not to be missed 8pm every evening, The Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. We will remember them.
Camping at :-
http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/ A short walk into the city centre, Auto check in if not pre-booked. Good sanitary facilities. Very pleasant site.
Thanks, I'll have a look.
Simon