Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World Cup 2022

Snowball - Dutch egg based liquor, lime juice and lemonade.

My grandma loved them.

For everyone else, one in a lifetime is usually sufficient.
Tilly Muffin loves a snowball too
000FC3A9-6041-4FF2-B6EB-70C16392AE06.jpeg

Good effort by Morocco.
Argentina France final.
Should be good.

My two least favourite teams in the World.

I don’t want France to win because… they are French.

And I don’t want Argentina to win because of an incident I heard on the radio several years ago while sailing.

I was on a week long sailing holiday in Scotland with my dad, two of his mates and their two sons. (Father and teenage son bonding week). We were shooting through the Kyle of Lochalsh on a flood tide with the wind behind us and spinnaker ballooning in front, and the football was on the radio.

From the live commentary it sounded like one of the Argentinian players (I forget his name) picked up the ball and threw it into the back of the net without the blind referee noticing. I have not forgiven.

So I’m in a quandary. I don’t want either team to win. I will be disappointed whatever the outcome.

My two least favourite teams in the World.

I don’t want France to win because… they are French.

And I don’t want Argentina to win because of an incident I heard on the radio several years ago while sailing.

I was on a week long sailing holiday in Scotland with my dad, two of his mates and their two sons. (Father and teenage son bonding week). We were shooting through the Kyle of Lochalsh on a flood tide with the wind behind us and spinnaker ballooning in front, and the football was on the radio.

From the live commentary it sounded like one of the Argentinian players (I forget his name) picked up the ball and threw it into the back of the net without the blind referee noticing. I have not forgiven.

So I’m in a quandary. I don’t want either team to win. I will be disappointed whatever the outcome.
Maradona, 1986, 'hand of the devil'?

There are numerous examples of blatant theatrics and general poor sportsmanship/playing the officials. If there was a World Cup for falling down without being touched, a South American country, or Cristiano Ronaldo would win.

Maradona, 1986, 'hand of the devil'?

There are numerous examples of blatant theatrics and general poor sportsmanship/playing the officials. If there was a World Cup for falling down without being touched, a South American country, or Cristiano Ronaldo would win.

1986 would be right. I’d have been 19yrs 6m & 1day old.

Now I think of it, such a feat could never be repeated. Shooting through the Kyle of Lochalsh on a flood tide while being pulled along by a ballooning spinnaker while listening to the World Cup on the wireless would end in disaster as some clown has built a bridge between the mainland and Skye to trap unaware sailors of boats with tall masts.

1986 would be right. I’d have been 19yrs 6m & 1day old.

Now I think of it, such a feat could never be repeated. Shooting through the Kyle of Lochalsh on a flood tide while being pulled along by a ballooning spinnaker while listening to the World Cup on the wireless would end in disaster as some clown has built a bridge between the mainland and Skye to trap unaware sailors of boats with tall masts.
Must be a rather large boat you have if it won’t fit under that bridge! There’s 30m of clearance.

Penalty!
1-0 Argentina

Last edited:
Great goal,
Worthy of the World Cup final.
2-0 Argentina

I was falling asleep on the sofa once Argentina were 2 up because they were so in control! Then wow, what a game after that. Who could imagine Mbappe scoring a hat-trick and ending up on the losing side? Hats off to the French for getting back into it (twice). And fair play to Messi, he’s won everything now. What a player.

I thought it was disappointing. The only thing going for it was that the French lost on penalties.
How odd that so many love France yet struggle with its populous?

How odd that so many love France yet struggle with its populous?
Never meet a French person I didn’t like. I suspect the majority of people who dislike the French have never met one of their citizens.

I think they call it xenophobia.

Never meet a French person I didn’t like. I suspect the majority of people who dislike the French have never met one of their citizens.

Not me. I was replying to Amarillo.

Francophobia, the condition I suffer is very specific. Xenophobia is a much broader burden to carry.

OK, so I suffer from Argetiphobia too.

But yes, it is directed at the populations in general, not individuals who are incredibly nice, kind and generous.

Disappointing today to hear politics dominating the news, post final.

It would’ve been nice to celebrate football and the many wonderful teams, players and officials who gave us such an exciting World Cup this year. They say money can’t buy everything and It always makes me smile to think that even the super-star footballers, like Messi, were once just young children, like millions of other children around the world, sat in their bedrooms, dreaming of what it would be like to win the World Cup.

Well done and thank you to everyone who made it special.

91AB7D35-4DCC-4841-A9D8-2FF1E34FD17D.jpeg

Back