Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Woodworm" on Cascavel Alloys

Same thing happened to me with the Diamond cut wheels on Mercedes I owned. They replaced 3 under warranty then low an behold the 4th wheel went 6 months later but this time wouldn’t replace as out of warranty. They wanted too much for just 1 wheel so had them powder coated in Gloss black. They looked fantastic and much less than the price of one new wheel.

Has anyone had diamond cut wheels changed under an extended warrranty. That is between 3 and 5 years old.
I think they should be covered, because the wording on the extended warranty indicates that that it is a like-for-like warranty, but bodywork paint is excluded. Lacquer on wheels might be considered as paint !

Same thing happened to me with the Diamond cut wheels on Mercedes I owned. They replaced 3 under warranty then low an behold the 4th wheel went 6 months later but this time wouldn’t replace as out of warranty. They wanted too much for just 1 wheel so had them powder coated in Gloss black. They looked fantastic and much less than the price of one new wheel.
That's good to know. Could you tell me who painted them? This might be an option if VW resist

Has anyone had diamond cut wheels changed under an extended warrranty. That is between 3 and 5 years old.
I think they should be covered, because the wording on the extended warranty indicates that that it is a like-for-like warranty, but bodywork paint is excluded. Lacquer on wheels might be considered as paint !
I had all four changed under extended warranty 3.5 years old.

I wrote to the dealer to advise the problem, sent photos and said I believe VW are aware of the issue + noting my 5 year extended warranty.

OK - but why continue to make wheels with this finish/coating/colour (or whatever it is) if a widespread known problem? (not that I knew this when specifying in first place)
All to do with Marketing and the current 'bling' look.

Every make of vehicle fitted with Diamond Cut wheels suffers from this corrosion. Have a look around any carpark.
Diamond Cut part only has Lacquer on and the other part has Stove Enamel plus Lacquer.

I thought these were unfortunate scratches until I looked closer and saw these 'woodworm' looking marks on my 17" Cascavels - which I assume is some sort of corrosion? Bearing in mind the Beach is only just over 2 years old, would you think it's a possible warranty repair issue?

Also, has anyone else has/seen something similar?

Thanks

View attachment 82930

View attachment 82931
Had this on two Mercedes cars with diamond cut wheels @Theodora. As previously stated it’s unavoidable i’m afraid - slight nick in the lacquer, moisture gets in and the cancer begins. If you have them refurbished with a diamond cut you’ll have the same problem again in a year or two. I think there’s a limit of 2 (maybe 3) diamond cut refurbs allowable. Some people (me included) have gone for a powder coat refurb. Shame to cover up the beautiful diamond cut but at least the powder coat retains its finish.

I had all four changed under extended warranty 3.5 years old.

I wrote to the dealer to advise the problem, sent photos and said I believe VW are aware of the issue + noting my 5 year extended warranty.
Having ordered the free optional diamond cut Woodstock wheels, which l'm beginning to think it was not the best of ideas. After all, it sounds like buying into highly likely future warrranty grief. Glass half empty view ?

Just to conclude my post on this (which I should have done ages ago): SMG in Tonbridge (where I bough the Beach from in 2019) were very helpful and swapped 4 new wheels over under the original warranty. Couldn't have asked for better, painless and friendly after-care service and must give credit where credit is due.

Back