Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Woodworm" on Cascavel Alloys

Theodora

Theodora

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I thought these were unfortunate scratches until I looked closer and saw these 'woodworm' looking marks on my 17" Cascavels - which I assume is some sort of corrosion? Bearing in mind the Beach is only just over 2 years old, would you think it's a possible warranty repair issue?

Also, has anyone else has/seen something similar?

Thanks

B.JPG

A.JPG

I thought these were unfortunate scratches until I looked closer and saw these 'woodworm' looking marks on my 17" Cascavels - which I assume is some sort of corrosion? Bearing in mind the Beach is only just over 2 years old, would you think it's a possible warranty repair issue?

Thanks

View attachment 82930

View attachment 82931
Very common problem on the ‘diamond cut’ type alloys. I had it on some which I got stripped back and painted black. Solved the problem and looked great.

Thanks. But if it was under the warranty timescale, would you have tried to get them replaced?

Thanks. But if it was under the warranty timescale, would you have tried to get them replaced?
Didn’t apply to me. I was just answering your ‘also’ query. But, what have you got to lose? Go for it.

I’d try to claim under warranty as that is not fair wear and tear damage. It looks like the lacquer has lifted at the edge and corrosion has spread inside. They could only argue damage at the edge but doesn’t look like you’ve kerbed it.

I had the wheels on my Phaeton replaced under warranty for similar corrosion. Noticed it on my Cascavals recently too. Trip to the dealer I think. Not sure though if it will be covered under the extended warranty.

Thanks

View attachment 82930

View attachment 82931
we had ours replaced with new wheels . we put alloy protection on them and cleaned them once a month and they still corroded in about 2 years. so we don't have dimond cut no more on any of our cars.

Just before the 3 year warranty was due to finish I had 3 of mine replaced the 4th they thought was a scuff, I did not agree but came to an agreement on price.
Damage is due to moist/water getting under the coating.
The garage also made a point that if you use the local hand car washes the chemicals used for the wheels is normally commercial strength and will definitely damage the wheels over time.

I’d try to claim under warranty as that is not fair wear and tear damage. It looks like the lacquer has lifted at the edge and corrosion has spread inside. They could only argue damage at the edge but doesn’t look like you’ve kerbed it.
Many thanks - no harm in trying

we had ours replaced with new wheels . we put alloy protection on them and cleaned them once a month and they still corroded in about 2 years. so we don't have dimond cut no more on any of our cars.
Thanks for reply

Just before the 3 year warranty was due to finish I had 3 of mine replaced the 4th they thought was a scuff, I did not agree but came to an agreement on price.
Damage is due to moist/water getting under the coating.
The garage also made a point that if you use the local hand car washes the chemicals used for the wheels is normally commercial strength and will definitely damage the wheels over time.
Thanks. have never taken to car wash. So, is the warranty one wheels 3 years then?

Thanks. have never taken to car wash. So, is the warranty one wheels 3 years then?
Wheels were inspected 2 wks before the 3 year warranty expired and where replaced roughly 3mths later, once replacements arrived.

I had all four replaced under warranty, (after three years under extended warranty)
it is a known problem and should be covered,
you will need to send the dealer photos then visit, so they can take their own.
Remove the wheels and check for corrosion on the rims,
particularly around the factory fitted wheel weights and outer rim, three out of four of mine had corrosion on the black part of the rim which could not be seen from the front.
Good luck

edit: if they are damaged from Kerbing VW may refuse.
make sure you state the wheels are uk damaged and have never been near acid cleaner (if that applies)

Last edited:
Common problem on diamond cut wheels. Get rid of them

I had all four replaced under warranty, (after three years under extended warranty)
it is a known problem and should be covered,
you will need to send the dealer photos then visit, so they can take their own.
Remove the wheels and check for corrosion on the rims,
particularly around the factory fitted wheel weights and outer rim, three out of four of mine had corrosion on the black part of the rim which could not be seen from the front.
Good luck

edit: if they are damaged from Kerbing VW may refuse.
make sure you state the wheels are uk damaged and have never been near acid cleaner (if that applies)
Many thanks - that's really helpful to know re someone having a precedent sent. I know it can depend on the dealer, so might have to go to a few.

You mean - get them replaced under warranty ...and then re-sale them here? :)
Yes. Because it will happen again. It's a common problem with diamond cut wheels. Caused by a tiny chip. Some road salt and then boom. Wheel worm

Yes. Because it will happen again. It's a common problem with diamond cut wheels. Caused by a tiny chip. Some road salt and then boom. Wheel worm

OK - but why continue to make wheels with this finish/coating/colour (or whatever it is) if a widespread known problem? (not that I knew this when specifying in first place)

You mean - get them replaced under warranty ...and then re-sale them here? :)
VW kept 3 of the old wheels except for the one we disagreed on, which has only minor damage and is in my garage to be used as a spare.

VW kept 3 of the old wheels except for the one we disagreed on, which has only minor damage and is in my garage to be used as a spare.
Great - thanks for info. All very helpful. That's why this forum works for me!

To add weight to your warranty claim, the same corrosion happened with my wheels after 2 years. I mentioned it to my dealer at the time of the service but they resisted changing them under warranty saying it was not a manufacturing fault but because I lived by the coast. Then to my surprise and unasked for, this June while I was having a warranty repair to the turbo the dealer said he was also replacing all 4 alloys under warranty (3 weeks before the standard warranty expired). So I assumed that VW had changed their policy about corrosion on their diamond cut alloys. So be persistent.

To add weight to your warranty claim, the same corrosion happened with my wheels after 2 years. I mentioned it to my dealer at the time of the service but they resisted changing them under warranty saying it was not a manufacturing fault but because I lived by the coast. Then to my surprise and unasked for, this June while I was having a warranty repair to the turbo the dealer said he was also replacing all 4 alloys under warranty (3 weeks before the standard warranty expired). So I assumed that VW had changed their policy about corrosion on their diamond cut alloys. So be persistent.
Many thanks - that's good to know. Can I ask which dealership changed the wheels? Sometimes it helps if you go to a place who have dealt with similar issues - and been sympathetic.

Many thanks - that's good to know. Can I ask which dealership changed the wheels? Sometimes it helps if you go to a place who have dealt with similar issues - and been sympathetic.
It was Snows Van Centre in Plymouth.

Back