Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wooden floor advice

C

Coastlines

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
We are just in the process of ordering a new California and wondered if anyone could offer some real world advice on the wooden floor option.
Do you have this option? has it worked/not worked for you? does it scratch or mark easily?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Hi
We are just in the process of ordering a new California and wondered if anyone could offer some real world advice on the wooden floor option.
Do you have this option? has it worked/not worked for you? does it scratch or mark easily?

The one thing I would say is most people put mats/rug on floor so if you are trying to keep budget down then don’t worry.
I’ve got wood effect flooring in joker and it’s easier to clean, but also easier to damage.

I can recommend the fitted rubber mat for the living area from the club shop. Great for wet wetsuits, muddy campsites & wet winter walks. When’s it dirty you just pull it out & hose it down; when installed it still allows the seat to move on the rails.

B47629A4-8FDE-40A8-B4C8-71CF55439DE9.jpeg
So much nicer than the standard floor.
Yes it will mark if you wear boots with a stone stuck in your shoe. But we take off out door shoes and wear slippers / nothing inside the living area. Easy to clean.

As you do at home.

Expensive, but faux wooden floor certainly looks better than the standard grey offering. In any case we much prefer a decent fitted carpet underfoot for a fraction of the price. So, personal preference as with most things but it’s not an option that I would tick.

Hi

We had the same dilemma and our Coast is still on order. We did add the floor upgrade, and mainly for aesthetics. I preferred the darker units of the Ocean (grey units / grey floor). When we looked at Coasts I just thought the lighter oak units and the grey floor was an odd combo. So the only real reason, we added it was to get matching units and floor. As others have said, it is likely that it will get covered with rugs anyway, but having seen the darker floor upgrade on an Ocean, I thought it added a real wow factor and might add to resale value too. Extravagant at the price, I agree. It was the most expensive of the options we added.

We had the same dilemma and our Coast is still on order. We did add the floor upgrade, and mainly for aesthetics. I preferred the darker units of the Ocean (grey units / grey floor). When we looked at Coasts I just thought the lighter oak units and the grey floor was an odd combo. So the only real reason, we added it was to get matching units and floor. As others have said, it is likely that it will get covered with rugs anyway, but having seen the darker floor upgrade on an Ocean, I thought it added a real wow factor and might add to resale value too. Extravagant at the price, I agree. It was the most expensive of the options we added.
Agreed, we think the lighter wooden floor in the coast sets off the cupboards perfectly...admittedly it's pure aesthetics, but also a big percentage of what owning any VW is about.
We don't intend to put rugs down, just be a bit careful like at home...muddy boots go in a tray in the boot when on the move...or outside the slide door when parked up.

Expensive, but faux wooden floor certainly looks better than the standard grey offering. In any case we much prefer a decent fitted carpet underfoot for a fraction of the price. So, personal preference as with most things but it’s not an option that I would tick.
OK, thanks

OK, thank you for your response...we are leaning towards it!

View attachment 72738
So much nicer than the standard floor.
Yes it will mark if you wear boots with a stone stuck in your shoe. But we take off out door shoes and wear slippers / nothing inside the living area. Easy to clean.

As you do at home.
Really nice, thank you for the photo...it's very hard to find images of the wooden floor.

Thank you for your users review on the floor, this is roughly how I anticipated the floor would get used.
Cheers

I can recommend the fitted rubber mat for the living area from the club shop. Great for wet wetsuits, muddy campsites & wet winter walks. When’s it dirty you just pull it out & hose it down; when installed it still allows the seat to move on the rails.
OK, thanks

OK, thank you for your response...we are leaning towards it!
As I say it‘s not for me but if you are not 100% sure then you would be better spending the money now and realising it‘s surplus to requirement down the line than not getting it and always hankering after it. It’s expensive for what it is but as a proportion of overall spend not worth getting wrong. Sounds to me like you should go for it.

As I say it‘s not for me but if you are not 100% sure then you would be better spending the money now and realising it‘s surplus to requirement down the line than not getting it and always hankering after it. It’s expensive for what it is but as a proportion of overall spend not worth getting wrong. Sounds to me like you should go for it.
It's a tough one when this is all of the floor you can see in the VW brochure! :D

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 16.26.26.png

Not many pictures around of the Coast coloured units & flooring combo, but found this one in the classifieds on here. Albeit from a LHD Edition, but ignoring the Ocean seats, it gives an idea of what a UK spec Coast might look like with the flooring upgrade. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Flooring_upgrade.jpg
    Flooring_upgrade.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 102
Not many pictures around of the Coast coloured units & flooring combo, but found this one in the classifieds on here. Albeit from a LHD Edition, but ignoring the Ocean seats, it gives an idea of what a UK spec Coast might look like with the flooring upgrade. Hope it helps.
Cheers! That is really helpful, thank you :cheers

Hi

A decent fitted carpet mat was top of my list of accessories to buy, regardless of floor finish. Much warmer, better for sound deadening and more comfortable when inside than a hard floor. The Brandrup carpets are quite the investment (but perhaps not vs a floor upgrade), but are great quality and fit.

A decent fitted carpet mat was top of my list of accessories to buy, regardless of floor finish. Much warmer, better for sound deadening and more comfortable when inside than a hard floor. The Brandrup carpets are quite the investment (but perhaps not vs a floor upgrade), but are great quality and fit.
Cheers, thanks for the info

This sounds most useful. I did search the shop but couldn’t find this mat. Perhaps it’s out of stock. Cheers

We wanted a carpet so any floor finish that came with the van would have sufficed. We have a Brandrup carpet and a Dyson V8, a perfect combination!!!

I've ordered the wooden floor, there is a video online of one somewhere. Only thing I can add is that it runs on into the back which looks nice when you open the boot !

Last edited:
It was one of the first options I ticked after the aux heater for my LHD Coast. Not sure i would choose it for an Ocean but the Coast's light oak really brightens the interior. Very classy IMO.

It was one of the first options I ticked after the aux heater for my LHD Coast. Not sure i would choose it for an Ocean but the Coast's light oak really brightens the interior. Very classy IMO.
It's a big lump of cash to voluntarily put into VW coffers, when you will probably cover it with carpet. I like to have mats that stop muck getting into to seat runner rails. Also find a bare floor too cold underfoot.

Back