Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

With recent innovations - charging laptop question again

The charger I showed comes with its own MagSafe charging lead , the Magsafe 1 and Magsafe 2 to cover all Macbooks with the MagSafe charging port built between 2006 and 2017. DOES not require your lead.
My thinking was that it seems a waste to buy a dedicated 12V MagSafe charger now, for a Macbook that is already 5 years old or more. I'm assuming here that it's just for occasional charging in the van.

For more recent laptops that charge via USB-C, a 12V USB-C PD charger is a very good thing to have in the Cali. That will charge anything, including future laptops, phones and tablets. 30W equals the factory charger for a current Macbook Air.

On a T6 and earlier I would not plug a PC charger, or any charger to the 150W pillar socket as the inverter there is a modified sine wave and not a pure sine wave. Not sure if the 300W inverter in T6.1 is modified or pure. A modified sine wave will shorten the life of your charger.
I don't remember ever seeing a warning about this in the documentation of an Apple charger, so I've assumed and expect that they are able to cope. They are switched power supplies and pretty high quality. For what it's worth, I've never had a problem.

My thinking was that it seems a waste to buy a dedicated 12V MagSafe charger now, for a Macbook that is already 5 years old or more. I'm assuming here that it's just for occasional charging in the van.

For more recent laptops that charge via USB-C, a 12V USB-C PD charger is a very good thing to have in the Cali. That will charge anything, including future laptops, phones and tablets. 30W equals the factory charger for a current Macbook Air.

I don't remember ever seeing a warning about this in the documentation of an Apple charger, so I've assumed and expect that they are able to cope. They are switched power supplies and pretty high quality. For what it's worth, I've never had a problem.
The only reason to use a dedicated 12v charger is that it is more efficient than using an Inverter as it only converts the voltage once as against the Inverter doing it twice.
Its upto the OP to make a decision based on the information given.

Pretty sure its MY21 on ;) -at least its 300W :D

View attachment 99864

I have this socket on my 1 month old van.

Tried it earlier with a UK and EU plug.

Both fit and provided power, but only for loosely (I think the outer plastic lip on the socket prevents a secure fit).

The UK plug lost power after a minute, but got power again when pushing the plug back in.

I don’t plan to use except in emergency as most of my devices charge by USB and I have ordered an Anker 12v PD USB C & USB A port earlier today

The only reason to use a dedicated 12v charger is that it is more efficient than using an Inverter as it only converts the voltage once as against the Inverter doing it twice.
Its upto the OP to make a decision based on the information given.
So the 12v charger comes with its own cable that would fit my Magsafe2 connection? Now I see.

What do you mean by being more "efficient" to use this 12v charger more than using the inverter connector? "It converts once"... but in my laywoman's terms I am left thinking, so what?

So the 12v charger comes with its own cable that would fit my Magsafe2 connection? Now I see.

What do you mean by being more "efficient" to use this 12v charger more than using the inverter connector? "It converts once"... but in my laywoman's terms I am left thinking, so what?
Wh en you convert one voltage to another the process is inefficient, so you lose energy.
If you use the Inverter you will use more energy from your Leisure Batteries than if you used the 12v charger.
Depends how long you plan on using the computer and other electrical systems in the California before driving or plugging into the EHU supply.

Wh en you convert one voltage to another the process is inefficient, so you lose energy.
If you use the Inverter you will use more energy from your Leisure Batteries than if you used the 12v charger.
Depends how long you plan on using the computer and other electrical systems in the California before driving or plugging into the EHU supply.
I really meant that I understood efficiency meant uses more energy, but I was trying to guage the significance/impact of that. Is it drawing off the leisure battery too?

What criteria does everyone use to choose one or the other?

I really meant that I understood efficiency meant uses more energy, but I was trying to guage the significance/impact of that. Is it drawing off the leisure battery too?

What criteria does everyone use to choose one or the other?
There is only one power source running the habitation equipment, fridge, parking heater, lights, hydraulic roof , inverter and anything plugged into any of the 12v sockets, built in USB ports etc. the Leisure Batteries.
I suggest you have a read of this document.

Attachments

• t5_tech-manual.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
There is only one power source running the habitation equipment, fridge, parking heater, lights, hydraulic roof , inverter and anything plugged into any of the 12v sockets, built in USB ports etc. the Leisure Batteries.
I suggest you have a read of this document.
Are you 100% sure about the underseat inverter on a T6.1 - only asking as all our work transporters have them fitted & don't have a leisure battery.

Are you 100% sure about the underseat inverter on a T6.1 - only asking as all our work transporters have them fitted & don't have a leisure battery.
As I don’t have a T6.1 I cannot confirm that but if it doesn’t run off the Leisure battery you would soon find out.
What does the Van Handbook say? Is it connected on the Vans? If the Entertainment system cannot run for long periods without draining the battery how does the Inverter manage or does it only work with engine running?

It works without engine running, I don't know about a cutoff time as Ive only used one for about an hour to get a bit of juice into the laptop.

I know there's a cut off for the auxiliary heaters that some of them have as thats the 2 hour limit thats caused problems on the Cali.

100%. Have tested when fitting my solar panel and checking its power by plugging in a laptop to the inverter and measuring the bulk charge. My understanding from many posts and videos is that that everything in front of seats APART from inverter is starter battery. Everything behind seats INCLUDING Inverter is leisure. I saw a post that said on newer 6.1s the front 12V are also from leisure but never checked.

Having done lots of research finally fitted a high voltage 65 watt usb and c charger. Connected to my 200watt solar charge controller in a place I can access any time with ease.Hope it helps others .No problems discharging leasure batteries as connected to load side and adjusted so not to drain batteries when sun ain't shining.

20230206_101029.jpg

20230206_101750.jpg

20230206_101029.jpg