Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wiring in Extra Leisure Battery

B

BikerBoy

VIP Member
Hi

Looking for some technical help.

Am considering wiring in an additional leisure battery.

The Beach only has one under the passenger seat and there is a big whole under the driver seat just begging to be filled by another.

Can i simply add the battery in to the same circuit (which I think is the case with the Cali SE's two batteries) or is there some sort of overload risk?

:thanks for any help

On the California the 3rd battery is in the rear wardrobe which I guess you don't have so I suppose under the drivers seat is the obvious option.

There is a wiring diagram of sorts in the SSP which cane found in the down loads section. I may be able to help if you need more detail.

As no one’s posted here for 6 years, has anyone added an extra battery to their Beach and if so, is it straightforward? Thanks. S2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked into it but didnt go ahead, but it should be easy enough. There is a wiring diagram in the VIP section which should relate to this.

There is a route under the carpet between drivers and passenger seats for cabling so it should not be a massive issue. You will need to remove the seat to get the leisure into place. May also need a heavy duty fuse between the two as per the SE/Ocean.

I think as long as they are in parallel you should be fine.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2nd-leisure-battery.9625/

As no one’s posted here for 6 years, has anyone added an extra battery to their Beach and if so, is it straightforward? Thanks. S2

Good question - alternatively has anyone been able to upgrade their existing 75 Ah AGM to something substantially better in the underseat location: 120 Ah or better.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I am pretty sure there is a 110ah battery that will fit but can't recall which thread it was. many sites now do batteries on measurements so you can input your size and find what is out there.

Mine is 80a/h but not AGM at present.

Ok. Does anyone happen to have the dimensions or manufacturer/model/code number of the original 70Ah leisure battery? Or a picture? Figure I could have a look around for a larger capacity one (AGM) and let you know how I do.

The leisure battery is 175x315 mm and height: 190mm.
It is a Varta Professional Dual Purpose AGM 80 Ah, 800A
840 080 080, , Short Code:LA80.
When Vw order those from Varta they come in black. If you by them elsewhere they are kind of grey...
They were 75 Ah in the past...

The leisure battery is 175x315 mm and height: 190mm.
It is a Varta Professional Dual Purpose AGM 80 Ah, 800A
840 080 080, , Short Code:LA80.
When Vw order those from Varta they come in black. If you by them elsewhere they are kind of grey...

Superstar - thank you!!

If you don't have it I'd fit solar first and I'm sure you'd never need a second battery.

Biggest I could find for the beach was a 100ah Xplorer battery but the actual capacity was 90ah (why call it 100ah then?)

I have my webasto outlet coming up under the drivers seat, Id quite like an extra battery but I dont know if it would fit without redoing the vents.