Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wireless internet access

JT5

JT5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I bought our 2013 Cali SE second hand two years ago. It has a 'Wireless Internet Access' box in the glove compartment, but I've never used it. Now planning a 6 week European summer trip and figure it could be pretty handy, but I've got no manual for it.

Does anyone have one of these and know what's required to get it up and running? Presumably some kind of pre-paid data card? Any other tips or tricks from anyone who has one?

Many thanks in advance, JT

20190427_150526.jpg

20190427_150823.jpg

Hi - just noticed that no-one responded to you on this. Also noticed you’re from Edinburgh, like us. We have the same option in our van and find it excellent as it gets signal in remote spots when our mobile phones are completely out of signal.

Some old posts on here suggest (logically) that this is because the router uses a much larger antennae than would be in a mobile phone or portable WiFi box and also has a stronger power supply (van starter battery versus phone battery).

All you need to get it working is a SIM card - the full size SIM, not the micro ones used in latest iPhones. Very easy to get a full size sim from any of the mobile providers, or can get a SIM converter for less than £1 to convert a micro sim to standard size sim.

You then connect devices to the router in the normal way and use the password printed on the sticker you’ve posted (see ‘WLAN Network Key’).

The router also has built-in GPS which you can easily configure to send you a text message and/ or an email of the van’s coordinates every time the van is switched on or off. A nice additional feature and decent security feature as most wouldn’t expect this to be present.

To configure the GPS functionality, once you’ve connected your advice to the router (as above), type the following address into your device’s browser http://192.168.1.1
The PIN number of the SIM card must be entered and saved.

Thanks a lot! I ended up asking on the Facebook page and got a bit of help there...we got it up and running in the end and has been really good, esp around Europe last summer.

Bit painful at the moment waiting to be able to get away...hope restrictions are lifted soon and we ca all get away. Really appreciate the reply!

No probs, hopefully see you out on the roads soon. I’m always on the look out for Calis around Edinburgh - there are quite a few.

Last edited:
No probs, hopefully see you out on the roads soon. We’re in Greenbank and I’m always on the look out for Calis around Edinburgh - there are quite a few.

and as a bonus, you know a username and password to get you free wifi if you park up next to it :)

We'll look out for you! We moved out to Haddington a few years ago, but of course not too far!

Hi all, I've just stumbled upon this tread and I'm interested in this type of set up. Does it stay on permanently or just when thew ignition is on?
I wonder if it could be retro fitted easily, I'm sure it just needs power and an antenna?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Hi
Hi all, I've just stumbled upon this tread and I'm interested in this type of set up. Does it stay on permanently or just when thew ignition is on?
I wonder if it could be retro fitted easily, I'm sure it just needs power and an antenna?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.
Hi Padraic, same as head unit, it runs while ignition on and for around 20 minutes after ignition switched off. I think there are easier ‘retrofit’ options (eg. mifi) although those don’t have gps functionality and signal won’t be as good as smaller antenna and lower powered electronics.

Hi

Hi Padraic, same as head unit, it runs while ignition on and for around 20 minutes after ignition switched off. I think there are easier ‘retrofit’ options (eg. mifi) although those don’t have gps functionality and signal won’t be as good as smaller antenna and lower powered electronics.
Hi, okay I understand. I have my stereo wired to my leisure battery so power isn't an issue. I understand that there are easier options, but I like the idea of it being permanently fitted and hardwired. Also I like the idea that it gets better signal in poor reception areas, because I travel to a lot of remote areas.
What is the GPS function on the router.
Regards Padraic

Hi, okay I understand. I have my stereo wired to my leisure battery so power isn't an issue. I understand that there are easier options, but I like the idea of it being permanently fitted and hardwired. Also I like the idea that it gets better signal in poor reception areas, because I travel to a lot of remote areas.
What is the GPS function on the router.
Regards Padraic
Hi Padraic, the VW WiFi router (£707 option at the time) is made by LessWire, who make routers specifically designed for vehicles like cars, coaches and trains which are moving at speed. The version VW used, and I’ve got in my van, is the Wi2u and LessWire say it’s designed for up to 8 users at a time

This version only supports up to 3G, but most remote spots don’t have 4G anyway.

LessWire have since released a 4G version, called Wi4u, which they say is suitably for up to 100 users at a time (so designed for coach or train market):

The router (both of above) also has built-in GPS which you can easily configure to send you a text message and/ or an email of the van’s coordinates, and a link to Google/ Apple maps of that location, every time the van is switched on or off. A nice additional feature and decent security feature as most wouldn’t expect this tracker feature to be present.

Last edited:
Translated from LessWire’s website:

Areas with poor reception and high speeds make reliable access to the Internet difficult in the vehicle.

The Wi4U is an LTE to WLAN router for cars, buses, trains or commercial vehicles. It enables smartphones, tablets, notebooks and all other WLAN clients to have secure and stable access to the Internet, even at high speeds.

The router is ready for immediate use and only requires simple configuration. Operated as a public hotspot, the Wi4U enables the provision of secure public Internet access, for example in a coach.

The Wi4U LTE - WLAN router is also available as a white label variant for OEM customers.

I would expect this to significantly outperform other options like MiFi, albeit at a higher price point.

Thanks for all the info, its really helpful. I may try to source one from a breakers, looks like decent kit alright.

Back