Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wireless Charger

SJL178

SJL178

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Looking through the brochure (order has only just gone through) and it mentions a wireless charger that will be fitted late 2020.

Anyone have any knowledge on where this will be fitted and if it will end up a standard fitment or factory option?

TIA.

Looking through the brochure (order has only just gone through) and it mentions a wireless charger that will be fitted late 2020.

Anyone have any knowledge on where this will be fitted and if it will end up a standard fitment or factory option?

TIA.
I’d be interested to know this too. I’m guessing it’ll be on the MY21’s. Don’t think anyone has received one of those yet though to confirm.

I’d be interested to know this too. I’m guessing it’ll be on the MY21’s. Don’t think anyone has received one of those yet though to confirm.
My My21 is with me next week so can check - is it the wireless charger that’s part of the upgraded stereo option?

My My21 is with me next week so can check - is it the wireless charger that’s part of the upgraded stereo option?
Excellent!
It wasn’t very clear in the brochure so will be good to know. We have ordered the Ocean but not opted for the Pro sat nav.

If I remember correctly, the wireless charger is not available in the UK. No idea why.
Is that official? I thought it was integrated in the phone storage compartment/hole next to the two USB ports MY21...not taken delivery yet so can't confirm...

Is that official? I thought it was integrated in the phone storage compartment/hole next to the two USB ports MY21...not taken delivery yet so can't confirm...
Well definitely not on MY20. Was in all the launch videos, promos, reviews but didn't make it to UK.

Can anyone confirmed if this was fitted to their MY21?

I didn't think it was coming to the UK. I had a look at the parts & unfortunatly the insert for the holder is handed so the LHD parts won't fit as an upgrade. Instead of which we get a cup holder that will take a cup but you need to tilt it a long way to get the cup in!

I am thinking of putting a wireless charging mat in one of the dash top cubbies instead, thats where I tend to chuck my phone anyway.

It does look like the VW charging slot wouldn't work with a phone in a case anyway, or not in the armoured bomb proof one that I have on mine.

The transporter brochure still says coming in late 2020 as well.

Last edited:
Shame it's not available in uk.
Wireless charging with wireless CarPlay would be really useful.
£70k van and VW still living in 2010 when it comes to your phone.

It's very frustrating isn't it. Mine should be going into build soon and I couldn't believe that I couldn't add wireless charging as an option. I'd be interested to understand what aftermarket wireless solutions work well and people are using with their Cali's ?

bizarrely I have wireless charging, but to get it to work with with CarPlay I have to plug in a USB-C to lightning cable which kind of defeats the whole exercise. The manual kind of says wireless CarPlay is possible, but not had any success so far.

Took the picture with the phone so not one in the charging slot, but you get the idea.
IMG_7273.jpeg

Yes, in the UK its just a cupholder there by the sound of it. I think for Wireless carplay you need to upgrade to the 8" screen with satnav.

I did see a video from South Africa reviewing a RHD Caravelle, this had a wireless charging holder according to the review, so if that’s RHD then maybe parts could be sourced from SA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, in the UK its just a cupholder there by the sound of it. I think for Wireless carplay you need to upgrade to the 8" screen with satnav.
Thanks Iain, will have a look. The manual says wireless should work, but wouldn’t be the first time it’s lied to me.

Ah, OK. This is the current, brochure, and is different from the brochure I looked at in the past. It used to say that wireless charging was coming soon (end 2020) but I never noticed the "not UK spec" bit, which has always been there.

Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 21.03.55.png

I wonder if we can get a RHD one (due to shape) from Ireland, SA, Oz or Asia l. Is it just the UK market VW have decided don’t need Wireless ?

Wireless CarPlay definitely works with Discover Media (the one with physical buttons). I don’t have Discover Media Pro.

I can confirm no wireless charging for MY21 UK Ocean, but wireless CarPlay works fine.
Perfect, thanks! Good to have that confirmed once and for all. Ultra-short Anker USB-C to Lightning cable for charging it is then!

Wireless CarPlay definitely works with Discover Media (the one with physical buttons). I don’t have Discover Media Pro.
Yes that’s the version I have ordered. The pro is the 10” all touch screen with no physical buttons as you say. The picture above is the 6.5” screen which is the smallest of the three options and the only one without wireless CarPlay as that’s the main reason I upgraded on my beach. I think the 8” is standard on the ocean so wireless isn’t an option/upgrade for Ocean drivers.

Yes that’s the version I have ordered. The pro is the 10” all touch screen with no physical buttons as you say. The picture above is the 6.5” screen which is the smallest of the three options and the only one without wireless CarPlay as that’s the main reason I upgraded on my beach. I think the 8” is standard on the ocean so wireless isn’t an option/upgrade for Ocean drivers.
Yes. I have the smallest satnav (the free one) on MY21 and nothing wireless at all

Yes. I have the smallest satnav (the free one) on MY21 and nothing wireless at all
Same here. Any hopes to get a software update or other tricks to turn this system into wireless?

Back