Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyre size for snow chains

DJE

DJE

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all I’m sure this has been covered numerous times, We’re off to the alps in December so trying to plan ahead a little, so I will most likely need winter tyres and chains for the trip, firstly I get mixed views on whether chains can be fitted to 235/55 r17 but can’t see how the recommended 235/60 r17 would give any more chain to strut clearance due to the strut provides more clearance at the lower point
This reason for me resisting the changing to larger profile is i only have 20mm height clearance on the garage door not a deal breaker though
I was going to stick a new set of winters on my 17” alloys unless I can find a set of cheap steels as it would make an expensive 1 time trip

Hi all I’m sure this has been covered numerous times, We’re off to the alps in December so trying to plan ahead a little, so I will most likely need winter tyres and chains for the trip, firstly I get mixed views on whether chains can be fitted to 235/55 r17 but can’t see how the recommended 235/60 r17 would give any more chain to strut clearance due to the strut provides more clearance at the lower point
This reason for me resisting the changing to larger profile is i only have 20mm height clearance on the garage door not a deal breaker though
I was going to stick a new set of winters on my 17” alloys unless I can find a set of cheap steels as it would make an expensive 1 time trip
I think the tire size choices are 235/55 17 or 215/60 17, not 235/60 17. They are both the same overall diameter/height; the sidewall specification is a ratio of sidewall height to tread width, but since the overall diameter is the same, speedometer/odometer etc. are not affected, nor is the overall height of the van.

Edit: The 215s would have more space for the chains, although as you have noted, there are forum members who use chains on 235s and don't have problems.

Last edited: