Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Ski Camping

Check out this link. Really good stuff :bananadance2
Also a second part to the story if you have a look.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/alpine-ski-road-trip-blog-part-one/

That's a great article, but it amazes me how little research was done before going! I would've thought an isotop (or similar) would be mandatory...

Interesting point about the snow blocking the heater though.

The site in Bourg St Maurice is at the top of my list. Will check it out when I'm there in a couple of weeks.

Yep us too.
Booked my tunnel crossing for March 11th today. Whoop

Like the idea of parking practically on piste. Ski in/ski out California.

That's a great article, but it amazes me how little research was done before going! I would've thought an isotop (or similar) would be mandatory...

Interesting point about the snow blocking the heater though.

The site in Bourg St Maurice is at the top of my list. Will check it out when I'm there in a couple of weeks.
I read a report about the Bourg camp site, I think it was on the snowheads forum. It was very positive, they said amongst other things that the site ran a daily shuttle bus to the funicular.

When are you going?

I read a report about the Bourg camp site, I think it was on the snowheads forum. It was very positive, they said amongst other things that the site ran a daily shuttle bus to the funicular.

When are you going?

Usual family trip to Ste Foy at the end of Feb, but we drive through BSM to get there so will stop and have a look. I'm always up and down between BSM and St Foy anyway (c.20mins drive) and the car park in the resort is <100m from the chair lift.

We are back from our half term ski trip and we stayed at Camping Le Versoyen in Bourg. Our plan was to stay over in BSM for one night and get up to Les Arcs early on the Saturday and enjoy quiet day on the slopes before everyone else arrived.

The site was fine, there was a fairly big area of tarmac for pitching up on with EHU's in banks of four so you were never far from one. This area was adjacent to the toilet/shower block which was heated and nice and warm. The site was also a short walk to the Super U and the Intermarche. Unfortunately there were no staff about when we arrived, despite a sign saying the office was open until 8pm, so I don't know if there was a drying room. We will stay there again.

Caravaneige Le Martagon is my favourite; underneath Meribel, heart of 3V, 100m from 3V-cablecar stop Le Raffort. Shower, drying room, dishwashing room and a fine restaurant!

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

Christmas 2015
Installing ourselves in sunny mountain weather
35 cm in one night!

Le Versoyen does have a drying room. We have done 5 motorhome ski trips to this site and it is perfect. We don't bother with the bus but walk along river to funicular every morning. We leave our skis with Gordon and Rosie who run the hire shop next to the funicular.

Plus one for Samoens, I've been there in the winter and summer. Everything close by, gondola right outside campsite. Town within 10mins walk, pubs, restaurants, supermarkets and vets.
There's also a cross country course which goes past the campsite and a leisure centre.
Amazing walks too.

Yep us too.
Booked my tunnel crossing for March 11th today. Whoop

Like the idea of parking practically on piste. Ski in/ski out California.

Thought I should do a post camp update.
So we ended up Wild Camping for 4 nights. There is an aire which is free, has some toilets and a pub across the road. We stayed there one night, but after being woken up by some Scottish skiers looking for cocaine we decided to find another place to camp the following nights.
Loads of places to park providing you are considerate.
We were fortunate it never snowed in Chamonix valley so didn’t have a snowed in van on our trip.
Diesel heater required before bed and in the mornings. Good quality sleeping bags used and we were all fine.

I slept in the roof and two friends downstairs. No insulation used, apart from some bubble foil on the windows behind the blinds and an external insulated silver screen on the front.

Wore merino wool long Johns for sleeping, it was cold if you poked out of the sleeping bag without the diesel heater running.

For showers we used the local swimming baths which had a small spa area, all included with your ski pass.
After skiing each day this is where we went to freshen up.

Local bakery in Cham that opened at 7:30am. Fresh sandwiches and crossiants plus coffee, plus we had juice and cereals in the van and a brew kit.

Lunch was on piste and dinner tended to be somewhere out in Chamonix.

Skis and equipment all inside van. I removed two draws under the seat and the skis were stored safely in the van out of sight.
We made sure to dry off and wipe skis before putting away to reduce moisture build up.

Can’t think of anything else.

2A5E8B2A-EBEA-4EF9-A24B-580D4856A880.jpeg

6E7D6DFD-928A-4094-B443-BA1BF5451D09.jpeg

3946D0BA-33D7-4320-9CAF-3C7D07308B59.jpeg

some good wintercamping spots in italy, austria?

Austria:
- Innsbruck is a good base to visit a lot of dif skiresorts
- Fis Ladis Serfaus great with kids
- Montafon/Silvretta Nova huge resort

(Germany:
- Zugspitze. Camping next to Garmisch)

Happy camping!

See also camping arlberg in pettneu, near sankt anton. Small private bathroom cottage next to your cali!
I will try this campsite next month. Lots of snow for the moment, i’ll give them some more time to prepare the slopes...

This one looks very well set up:

http://www.camping-bourgsaintmauric...ces-campsite-winter-caravanning-park-les-arcs

Heated rec room, drying room, etc. and only 30 mins from Ste Foy, our regular non-Cali resort. Three valleys, Val d'Isere, Tignes, etc all in the area.

We're now seriously looking at doing a three week trip with the kids next xmas; one week in the van with one child, one week in a catered chalet, and the final week back in the van with the other child. The kids get two weeks each, dad gets three!:D

I spent three weeks there last winter. Good facilities and convenient for supermarket and town.

See also camping arlberg in pettneu, near sankt anton. Small private bathroom cottage next to your cali!
I will try this campsite next month. Lots of snow for the moment, i’ll give them some more time to prepare the slopes...
Not sure if you’ve been on your trip yet? Just bear in mind the elec is expensive and they require you to leave it on 24/7 to stop the pipes in the ennduite freezing. Expensive but worth it.

Spent many years skiing. Love my California but I would not like to ski from it. After a day on the piste in wet ski gear carrying ski with feet which feel like lead in ski boots I needed a hot bath and warmth. We went to Tignes where the temperature would often plummet to -20C overnight. It is cold like you have never felt. I used to get very tired because of the altitude. Loved every minute of it but out of a Camper Van.... I think not. We did Morzine one year and had 4 days of freezing rain. There was snow at the top but we got saturated on the lift getting there.
Actually, I'd echo this. I used to Instruct for the ESF in Les Deux Alpes (actually passed the equivalence test set by Luc Alphand! - for those in the trade) and also spent time around Annecy (fab lake for summer) and Chamonix. I just can't see how there's enough room in the Cali to dry things. Let alone store all of the gear and boots, poles, etc. I'd be on the hunt for some kind of campsite with drying facilities as a minimum. It just wouldn't be the same after a full days' skiing to return with a mille-feuille from the local bakery and have issues popping the boots and gear off.

Have a look at camping in Le Bourg-d'Oisans. Lower and easy access to Les deux alpes and Alp d’huez.

It was called camping le colporteur when we went 5 or 6 years ago. Very close to the pool. Looks like they may have joined forces - the campsite pics look like the same site.

I’ve never had a problem wild ski camping. Off the slopes, straight into the local swimming baths. Skis etc in a roof box.
You can get little warmers for the boots to help dry them out, or stick them in the sun for an hour if your not to late getting off the mountain.

CE8C7B04-75CC-4D93-A71E-DA47A64CD217.jpeg

Today at Glechterbus 1 car park in AustriaE7F91E76-AC5F-4339-9701-6FBA5DC34510.jpeg