Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Maintenance

A

AlleyDaniels1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, we've got our first real frost today and I haven't thought about the van until this morning. Does anyone know if I need to drain the water tanks or remove the gas bottle to prevent any damage or will they be ok?
Also a condensation question, is it normal to get lots of condensation in the inside of the window in the morning? I had an old van before and it was a problem but was hoping it wouldn’t be on a brand new van .

You do need to drain water. Gas will be fine.
If it’s condensation in the van after youve slept in it, that’s normal.
If you havnt slept in there, it sounds like you may have a bit of a leak.

It’s always best to drain all water tanks before the bad winter weather sets in just in case...Also condensation is just one of those things and will happen in most vehicles in this weather. Both my van which is 7 years old a fairly new car both suffer from it.

Newer vehicles are worse for condensation as they're more water tight.
I always try and air out the van/car before I lock it up - let the warm moisture rich air out to reduce condensation when the outside temperature drops...

Hi, we've got our first real frost today and I haven't thought about the van until this morning. Does anyone know if I need to drain the water tanks or remove the gas bottle to prevent any damage or will they be ok?
Also a condensation question, is it normal to get lots of condensation in the inside of the window in the morning? I had an old van before and it was a problem but was hoping it wouldn’t be on a brand new van .
What are the consequences if , like me, I have not drained the water tank! thats the important bit.

You will have to wait until the first opportunity when temperatures are up and then drain the tanks. Here we have been sitting at over night temps down to -11 and daytime -4/5 so you can’t drain in those temps. Hopefully you’ll be OK !

What are the consequences if , like me, I have not drained the water tank! thats the important bit.

Sadly, the potential consequence of not having drained down prior to a freeze is that if you are unlikely to get water freeze in a pipe or appliance, the expansion may cause damage which will not be evident until the water thaws. Just like a house :oops:, burst pipes or joints.

Fingers crossed you have got away with it.

My experience is the majority of experienced recreational vehicle users (whether that's a caravan, motorhome, or our VW's) will drain down at the beginning of winter and carry bottled water instead.

Back