Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen tint

Thepiper

Thepiper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass as it had a 10cm crack in it caused by a stone chip. Only after a couple of days when the weather brightened up did we notice that the tint seems to be less than it was before. Autoglass assure me that they have fitted the correct spec of glass but I'm not convinced. The glass is definitely a lighter tint than in the passenger and drivers doors. I have a T6 Ocean in Acapulco blue. Anyone care to look at their windscreen and let me know if it is the same level of tint as the passenger and driver doors please?

Did it come with the laminated window option? This might alter the tint?
Windscreen/Driver and Passenger door windows are not double glazed so will not affect them.

upload_2018-1-26_10-55-27.png
I have just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass as it had a 10cm crack in it caused by a stone chip. Only after a couple of days when the weather brightened up did we notice that the tint seems to be less than it was before. Autoglass assure me that they have fitted the correct spec of glass but I'm not convinced. The glass is definitely a lighter tint than in the passenger and drivers doors. I have a T6 Ocean in Acapulco blue. Anyone care to look at their windscreen and let me know if it is the same level of tint as the passenger and driver doors please?
This is what mine looks like this morning. As far as I can see there is no difference between Windscreen and Driver and Passenger Doors. You can clearly see a different tint of the glass behind the "B" pillar (Double glazed too). All glass in photo is factory fitted - no after market mods or replacements. Hope this helps.

Windscreen/Driver and Passenger door windows are not double glazed so will not affect them.
They're not double glazed but the driver and passenger doors do have a different tint level to the other non-laminated glass options - 79% light transmission for laminated front windows vs 71.5% for privacy glass version and 79% for the windscreen in all cases

View attachment 29448
This is what mine looks like this morning. As far as I can see there is no difference between Windscreen and Driver and Passenger Doors. You can clearly see a different tint of the glass behind the "B" pillar (Double glazed too). All glass in photo is factory fitted - no after market mods or replacements. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I think they Autoglass must have fitted incorrect spec then as my windscreen is definitely lighter tint to the driver and passenger doors. I know that the rear of the van has privacy glass to is clearly different to those, but like you say, the windscreen and cab doors should look the same. Anyone else any experience of this?

Thanks. I think they Autoglass must have fitted incorrect spec then as my windscreen is definitely lighter tint to the driver and passenger doors. I know that the rear of the van has privacy glass to is clearly different to those, but like you say, the windscreen and cab doors should look the same. Anyone else any experience of this?
If you have normal privacy glass/ green heat insulating then the windscreen should be slightly lighter (at least according to the official stats for each glass type). It's only if you have the laminated version that they should be the same

If you've got factory privacy glass the front screen should be lighter than the windscreen.
If you don't have factory privacy the side windows should be the same as the windscreen.

I believe there is only one standard level of tint to the windscreen, so don't see how they could have got it wrong.

If you've got factory privacy glass the front screen should be lighter than the windscreen.
If you don't have factory privacy the side windows should be the same as the windscreen.

I believe there is only one standard level of tint to the windscreen, so don't see how they could have got it wrong.
You're right about the one level of tint to the windscreen but according to the table attached, it's as I said, only the laminated option that has the same level of light transmission on the side windows.

Attachments

• T6 Glass Options.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 16
No.
That table doesn't show "normal" glass i.e. not laminated & not tinted & not heat insulating. It only shows the tints for the optional extras.
If you don't order any option you get all the windows in the van the same tint as the windscreen

No.
That table doesn't show "normal" glass i.e. not laminated & not tinted & not heat insulating. It only shows the tints for the optional extras.
If you don't order any option you get all the windows in the van the same tint as the windscreen
ah yes, good point

You may find glass was supplied by a firm called ladlaw who supply non genuine glass to auto glass and so on I would be asking where screen came from bet not VW knowing insurance companies

You may find glass was supplied by a firm called ladlaw who supply non genuine glass to auto glass and so on I would be asking where screen came from bet not VW knowing insurance companies
Should read la
should read LADDAW

Had my screen replaced and the fitter said hope the tint on the top edge is ok . He said it was a Audi screen and not a v w one so slightly different colour . Old screen already out so couldn't really say no.

I have just noticed that the replacement windscreen says laminated. I don't believe my spec was for laminated glass because if I remember correctly this was an expensive option. My spec just says green insulating glass, but looks like they have replaced it with laminated. What is the difference (other than the tint, which seems much lighter than it should be)?

I have just noticed that the replacement windscreen says laminated. I don't believe my spec was for laminated glass because if I remember correctly this was an expensive option. My spec just says green insulating glass, but looks like they have replaced it with laminated. What is the difference (other than the tint, which seems much lighter than it should be)?
Stays in 1 piece, rather than breaking into lots of fragments.

Nearly all modern cars are fitted with laminated glass windscreens, the option would be for door glass to improve security.

Back