Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning, internal plastic sliders, what are they for?

Corgimajor

Corgimajor

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Having just wound out our awning on a campsite I noticed two identical pieces of plastic mouldings that slide very freely along the inside of the metal cassette of the awning. I Appreciate VW would have fitted these for a good reason and their freedom or ease of movement seems calculated to allow for adjustment, but I've no idea what that reason is or how important their positioning (particulary as I have now moved them about in my curiosity!). No mention of them in the handbook supplement.

20230523_185954.jpg

Anyone know what their purpose is? and where they are best left positioned?

Having just wound out our awning on a campsite I noticed two identical pieces of plastic mouldings that slide very freely along the inside of the metal cassette of the awning. I Appreciate VW would have fitted these for a good reason and their freedom or ease of movement seems calculated to allow for adjustment, but I've no idea what that reason is or how important their positioning (particulary as I have now moved them about in my curiosity!). No mention of them in the handbook supplement.

View attachment 108886

Anyone know what their purpose is? and where they are best left positioned?
They are “ Antirattle” there to stop the folding roof bars from rattling against the awning case.
I believe they should be about 3” each side of the central point.

Untitled-20.png

Last edited:
Really useful plastic bits. I reckon whoever came up with the design must have really earned their bonus that year!

As you wind in the awning you can see the apex point of where the two arms fold and will sit when fully folded and the awning is in. The clips are positioned at that apex.

They are “ Antirattle” there to stop the folding roof bars from rattling against the awning case.
I believe they should be about 3” each side of the central point.

View attachment 108902
Thanks for the tip on where these plastic pieces should be located. I did wonder. I also wonder why they are not fixed or have some keyed location. Hoping rattle reduces as a result of corrected placement.

Thanks for the tip on where these plastic pieces should be located. I did wonder. I also wonder why they are not fixed or have some keyed location. Hoping rattle reduces as a result of corrected placement.
I think they are not fixed as they are used in a number of awnings so position may vary. The forerunner was a block of rubbery foam each side of the centre line which often fell off.

Does anyone have a problem when folding arms away , that they do not locate into item 15, mine just will not locate at all , had to loosen screw off to lower it but still not very good ?

Does anyone have a problem when folding arms away , that they do not locate into item 15, mine just will not locate at all , had to loosen screw off to lower it but still not very good ?
May be worth sharing a photo of the problem with the item/area you're experiencing. I'm a new owner and i've found a picture helps those more experienced owners spot the reason you are having problems straight away.

Hi @Mowbotman,

Just to encourage others more knowledgeable than me to contribute I'm going to keep your enquiry moving with following photo taken from my awning. I have a T6.1 model year 2022. It looks different to yours, so what us your van type and year? Looking at your images and making an assumption on orientation it looks like your rear awning leg is unable to locate its stowage recess point in the the awning cassette's leg stowage block pin. The pin on the block looks too close to the roof of the awning cassette. Could this stowage block have been removed and screwed back upside down?

IMG_8398~3.jpeg

See what I mean? Here's mine....

20230527_125100~3.jpg

Back